Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress vendor issues?

Hey all, Hoping you can help out here. I bought my wedding dress in October 2013 at a local boutique. I love it, it's gorgeous, and I'm excited to see it soon. My wedding is in September of this year. Essentially, the store told me that my dress would be in around march-April. We've been in touch with them over the last two months trying to narrow down that time frame. We were supposed to see the dress this weekend to ensure there were no manufacturer defects, etc. now all of a sudden the store is giving me the run around, saying they're only working with June brides, the dress is in an offsite location and they have to get a release from the manufacturer in Spain to ship it to the store earlier than their schedule. It makes me nervous because they're being so cagey about timing, and if they're only on June brides now, when will they get to September dresses, august? I don't want my first time seeing the dress to be so close to the wedding. God forbid something is wrong, that gives me no time to correct it. So my questions: how far in advance did you get your gown? I know alterations don't happen until 6 ish weeks before. Secondly, has anyone ever heard of the manufacturer controlling when the dresses, that are already shipped to a warehouse, getting sent to stores? Thanks in advance, I hope you can provide some calming advice :)

Re: Dress vendor issues?

• Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, the iPad is messing me up!
  • first off who is the designer of the dress? second, if the salon is giving you the run around demand that you get the dress asap and take the dress elsewhere for alterations they are being shady and I have never heard such a thing.

I found my dress this past july, a morilee, her dresses can come in as fast as 30 days if the dress is instock at the warehouse.
     I didnt have the full deposit salon worked with me on payments dress was ordered in the fall and came two months later in December. salon called me in and said dress is ready  do you want to come in try it on for size and make sure everything fits good.

I went in and the dress fit amazing. said i should come back closer to the wedding date for alterations i have my second fitting tuesday and my wedding is at the end of june
  • My dress is a Pronovias, so I know they made it in Spain and shipped it to this boutique's warehouse in New York. I'm definitely planning on taking it elsewhere for alterations. I thought maaaaaaaybe some vendors do have a say in when their dresses are released, but it just seemed so far fetched. I don't want to make a stink until I have the dress in hand, but I have to say the whole experience has left me with a sour taste in my mouth.
  • My dress is also a Pronovias. I ordered it in November 2013, and it arrived at the salon in February 2014.
    I don't think Pronovias dictates when gowns are released to the brides who ordered them. Why would it matter to them since they've been paid?
    It seems as though the salon may not have ordered your dress from Pronovias when you placed your order with them. If I were you, I'd walk in and speak with an owner or manager. If nothing else, I'd also look into them with the Better Business Bureau.
  • My dress was a pronovias as well. I ordered it in April 2013. It arrived to the bridal shop in August. No problems and the fit was great.
    It seems to be your shop, not the manufacturer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • I would call them and tell them you want to pick the dress up and they need to get it from whatever off site location they have it stored at. That is ridiculous.
  • Yeah, so turns out (according to the shop) that Pronovias keeps a warehouse in Long Island and my shop has their dresses shipped there from Spain, as for insurance reasons they can't keep more than X dresses in their shop at any time. I figure if I don't have my dress by this upcoming weekend, I'm walking in and telling them I'm not leaving without a specific date of arrival. They knew for months that I was coming in last weekend, and they clearly didn't get in touch w/ the warehouse enough in advance to have the dress on time. I ended up buying my veil and accessories at another shop over the weekend instead, so their loss. Ugh, so frustrating! Thanks for all of your help everyone!
  • i would go and demand asap that your dress be released to you and if they try and give you any more issues or a hard time, tell them i will not recommend your shop to anyone i know getting married  i will leave you bad reviews on every wedding website google reviews yelp etc i will contact the media

that is going a bit far but if you really wanted there attention you could go that way

salons love good reviews and hate the bad ones. when i started my dress shopping quest i had some bad experiences and i had a really good experience ( bought my gown from them)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards