Just Engaged and Proposals

Recently (7 months ago) Engaged

So I got engaged 7 months ago. I am in nursing school and my fiance is in the air force. We will be engaged for a few years while I finish school and he gets back from his first base and deployment. What has been making me the most nervous is how to plan a wedding while I am in school and he's away. All I want is to just be married already but I feel like I have to keep waiting and waiting because we need to find the right time to actually do it. And another thing is my future mother in law. Sometimes I get the feeling that she thinks this wedding isn't going to happen cause I have moved the date (or timeframe) around so many times. I guess I just really need advice on how y'all stay calm during the whole process and how you make everyone happy? We just want to get married and have considered eloping but we know our families would hate that. I'm sorry if this doesn't make total sense. You can probably tell I'm all jumbled up and can't think straight.. Any advice about anything and everything wedding planning would be super appreciated. I always planned my dream wedding in my head but now that it is actually happening I feel like I forgot everything and don't know where to start! So thanks in advance if y'all could help out!
Thanks!

Re: Recently (7 months ago) Engaged

• Most of us did not have the weddings we planned in our heads as children. You can't please everybody, so don't try to. Who is paying for this wedding? 

You should start with a budget, potential guest list, and then looking for venues that meet your needs and numbers.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • By your own admission you will be engaged for a few years I guess I don't under the rush to start planning? Your FI is in air force when posses unique set of circumstances.   Why not just enjoy being engaged right now?  

As far as the FMIL,  no one is going to be as excited about your wedding as you will be.  Especially one that is years out with no firm dates.  Not say they can't be happy for you.  But it's not something people can keep being excited about for a long time. 

I'm sure once dates are set and it gets closer the excitement will return.    I will be honest,  no one except the couple themselves wants to talk about a wedding years in the future.   That is what The Knot is for.  We are here to let you talk about the wedding so you do not annoy your family and friends with wedding talk.

I suggest using this time to figure out much you can save with your FI.  Open up a wedding saving account and start saving.  Maybe start a guest list and figuring out what kind of wedding you might want and where?  Then a year or so out from your graduation start making firm plans.

In the meantime focus on school and making sure your FI is safe.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards