Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress Timeline Help!

I am trying to figure out when I should schedule appointments to start looking at dresses. My wedding is February 14, 2015. Also how many places should I try on dresses at? There are some boutiques but also an outline bridal store. Should I look at the outlet store first or last? 

Re: Dress Timeline Help!

• Options
    Usually 6-9 months out seems like plenty of time. It really depends on whether you want to have the "latest designs" or not. I've read that boutiques usually get the new lines right about now (March-May) but they're really not like car model years - wedding dresses are timeless! I would say if that's not a huge concern for you (or at least, not as big a concern as budget) check the outlets first, so you don't fall in love with something at the boutique that you can't afford and can't find elsewhere. But you have plenty of time, so you can always resort to the boutique if the outlet doesn't work.

I only tried on dresses at one place. I found something I loved and tried not to overthink it beyond that (easier said than done)! I only tried on about 8 dresses. I truly believe there's no such thing as "the one perfect dress."

• Options
    I bought my dress about 9 months before my wedding, with a few weeks of shopping/trying things on first.  I think I went dress shopping three times.  As long as you expect to stay the same size and aren't worried about changing your mind later, there is no harm in buying your dress whenever you find it. Also, feel free to "window shop" and try stuff on as early as you like - just be sensitive to the time commitments of whoever is coming dress shopping with you.

Unless you want to pay rush fees for alterations, etc.  I suggest buying the dress no later than 3-4 months before the wedding (depending on delivery times at the place you bought it at).  Mine took about 2 weeks to get in (some places may take longer) and its best to have your first alterations appointment approximately 2 months before the ceremony and the second/final about a month before.  That way, just in case you do need additional alterations, you would still have some time to get them done.
  • Options
    6 months minimum, but even that will rule out some designers.  Maggie Sottero and a few other designers can take up to 9 months. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards