Wedding Party

Is this LAME????

Okay, so on occasion, I knit things. It's fun, I enjoy it. Anyway, I knitted myself a cowl a while back and every time I wear it, my BMs or MOH comment on how they want one. In addition to their gifts I'm getting them (still working on that, I'm leaning towards GCs to a day spa and a nice restaurant) would it be lame if I knitted them these cowls that they want? For your Ravelry fans, it's the drop-stich cowl pattern.

I wouldn't make all matching ones, I was thinking of just sending them a list of colors to choose from and then making them and giving it to them, but I don't know if that would be a stupid idea. One side of me thinks it's a cute idea because it's a winter wedding and they can actually use it the next day. But another side of me is like "they put a lot of time being in your wedding, I think GCs will be enough".

What say you?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
image 36 Yes
image 2 No
image 21 Unknown

Re: Is this LAME????

• @grumbledore I wouldn't expect to use them. I mean, I could be like "hey, you know that cowl that you like, do you want me to knit you one?"

@shrekspeare This would be in addition to a GC or whatever gift I decide on.

Thanks for the input! I think I'm just going to stick with the original plan of gift cards and matching robes (Just kidding in re: robes!!).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I do know the pattern, and it's really gorgeous. Maybe give them as Christmas presents instead of tying them to the wedding?
  • @keptinstiches, good idea, that'll give me some extra time to work on them too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I don't think it's lame at all and if it's something that they said they would want I don't see why you couldn't make them one. I looked up the pattern and it's very cute. This would be basically the same as them saying that they would love to go out to a nice restaurant and you get them a gift card. You are getting them something they said they wanted, but it's way more personal than a gift card. 
  • I'm with @KeptInStitches -- it's a gorgeous pattern, and it's something I would LOVE to get as a gift (I'm notoriously bad at knitting anything for myself). If you do it for Christmas, they'd love it, I think.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Poor choice of words, but to answer your question, no.  It's a thoughtful gift that you know they will like.  I think it's lovely.  But don't expect them to use it at any specific time, that's up to them.

I wish I was ambitious enough to knit gifts for my wedding party - I know they would all love it but I would be so worried about not finishing in time.
    I think she meant that because it's a winter wedding they would be able to use it immediately instead of putting it in a drawer to sit for several months, not that she expected them to all put them on the day after the wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would rather have a gift card. Unless you knit me a Weasley sweater. They may compliment and say that they want one, but when they get one, they may not wear it. I wouldn't.
    Why would you tell someone you wanted something and then not wear it when they made it for you?  That makes no sense at all.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think it's lame at all and if it's something that they said they would want I don't see why you couldn't make them one. I looked up the pattern and it's very cute. This would be basically the same as them saying that they would love to go out to a nice restaurant and you get them a gift card. You are getting them something they said they wanted, but it's way more personal than a gift card. 
    I agree. It is more personal than the GC. If they wanted that and it's a thoughtful and personalized gift for them.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• I think if you have time to make these it sounds very thoughtful in addition to the GCs

Anniversary

• @KnotPorscha vendor alert.

Shoo, vendors, shoo!

• I don't see anything wrong with it, it sounds nice.

I get annual requests of "So, I could really use a new beanie for Christmas" after I knitted all my friends beanies for Christmas. Just because something is homemade doesn't mean it's a bad gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards