Wedding Etiquette Forum

What are the best practices for hosting out-of-town guests at a wedding?

I grew up in New York.  I now live in Philadelphia where I met my fiance.  My fiance grew up in just outside of Boston.  Most of our families stayed close to where we grew up, though more and more are relocating.  My fiance and I thought long and hard about where to host the wedding.  Philadelphia would have been the most convenient for us, but then everyone would have to travel.  We chose New York because it will benefit the greatest number of people and out-of-town guests on my side will be able to stay with family instead of paying for a hotel room.  That being said, about 70% of our guests will be coming in from out-of-town, the distance ranges from a 2-hour drive from Connecticut to one guest who will be flying in from China.  

We feel honored that our guests want to attend our wedding even though it means a good deal of travel and expenses and would like to be the best hosts possible.  So far, we've located a great hotel that is near all of the events and they gave us a significantly reduced rate ($150/night) in my area, that is inexpensive.  FI's parents have offered to pay for the hotel costs of everyone in their immediate family and the bridal party, which will help so much for those who are already spending a fair amount in connection to the wedding.  I plan on making welcome bags for each hotel room that is part of the room block with 2 bottles of water, some granola bars, microwave popcorn and pain relievers.  We plan on having a rehearsal dinner and inviting all of the out of town guests staying at a hotel (the ones who are staying with family can be hosted for dinner by the family they are staying with).  This puts our rehearsal dinner at about 80 people, so we couldn't really invite more than the ones we plan on.  We are also having an after party at my parents house that will continue with food (simple hamburgers and hot dogs and a few kegs of beer) after the wedding.  

What we have decided not to do is have a shuttle from the hotel to the venue.  It is a morning wedding with a brunch reception, so even though there is an open wine/beer bar with breakfast cocktails; we doubt there will be too much drinking going on.  We also figure that almost everyone will be driving, so will have access to a car and we can set up carpools for the few who do not.  

My question is:  what if anything else can we do to make sure we are good and gracious hosts to our guests, who are coming so far to be a part of our wedding? 

Re: What are the best practices for hosting out-of-town guests at a wedding?

• fungrl97 said:
    I grew up in New York.  I now live in Philadelphia where I met my fiance.  My fiance grew up in just outside of Boston.  Most of our families stayed close to where we grew up, though more and more are relocating.  My fiance and I thought long and hard about where to host the wedding.  Philadelphia would have been the most convenient for us, but then everyone would have to travel.  We chose New York because it will benefit the greatest number of people and out-of-town guests on my side will be able to stay with family instead of paying for a hotel room.  That being said, about 70% of our guests will be coming in from out-of-town, the distance ranges from a 2-hour drive from Connecticut to one guest who will be flying in from China.  

We feel honored that our guests want to attend our wedding even though it means a good deal of travel and expenses and would like to be the best hosts possible.  So far, we've located a great hotel that is near all of the events and they gave us a significantly reduced rate ($150/night) in my area, that is inexpensive.  FI's parents have offered to pay for the hotel costs of everyone in their immediate family and the bridal party, which will help so much for those who are already spending a fair amount in connection to the wedding.  I plan on making welcome bags for each hotel room that is part of the room block with 2 bottles of water, some granola bars, microwave popcorn and pain relievers.  We plan on having a rehearsal dinner and inviting all of the out of town guests staying at a hotel (the ones who are staying with family can be hosted for dinner by the family they are staying with).  This puts our rehearsal dinner at about 80 people, so we couldn't really invite more than the ones we plan on.  We are also having an after party at my parents house that will continue with food (simple hamburgers and hot dogs and a few kegs of beer) after the wedding.  

What we have decided not to do is have a shuttle from the hotel to the venue.  It is a morning wedding with a brunch reception, so even though there is an open wine/beer bar with breakfast cocktails; we doubt there will be too much drinking going on.  We also figure that almost everyone will be driving, so will have access to a car and we can set up carpools for the few who do not.  

My question is:  what if anything else can we do to make sure we are good and gracious hosts to our guests, who are coming so far to be a part of our wedding? 
    You are very thoughtful and when you write wonderful thank-you notes I would ensure you include how grateful you are.  Also make sure to thank each person personally at the wedding. 

If you know of certain people who won't know many people maybe plan on doing a dance? I traveled 7 hours (driving) to go to an old childhood friend's wedding. She moved to Germany immediately after so it may have been the last time I ever see her. My parents were there, but aside from our immediate families  I didn't know anyone. Her brothers both danced with me (awesome, I miss those guys because I was close with them too). She also made sure to play our song and dance with me, which was sweet. But she had a small wedding (50 people).  Our song = Spice Girls "Wannabe". It meant a lot to me. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fungrl97 said:

Hi... I'm going through the exact same thing as you are... My FI and I are from different cities, we currently live in different cities as do our families, and they're all 10 hour drives apart. It's a bit of a mess, so we also had a difficult time choosing.
    We decided to do it in my hometown, because my family owns a ranch there that's perfect for the reception, and also because, as is your case, some of my OOT family can stay with other family members. 
    I totally agree with you. Our guests are making and effort, spending money and time to be with us on our special day, so we have to make things as easy and comfortable for them as possible. It's the least we can do.
    Here's what I have for OOT guests so far.
    - I made research of all the airlines, flights, schedules etc. and posted the info online for them in our wedding page.
    - We got special group rates in 2 different hotels that are next to each other. One is 5-star and the other is business class. That way they will decide how much they want to spend on that.
    - We will have transportation available for all the wedding related events. Car pooling is really not an option for us because the ranch is a 30 minute drive from the church, so going back and forth for people would take hours, and there aren't enough locals to drive everyone haha..:)
    - We won't have a rehearsal dinner (we're Mexican, and here we don't do that) But, we will have a welcome, ice-breaking kind of thing at a friend's outdoors restaurant, we'll provide pizza, wine and beer. It will be a laid back thing for our guests to relax from their flights or drives. No pressure of formal wear until the wedding day.
    - I will have a beauty team in one of the hotel rooms for my FI's family members who want professional help to get ready so they won't have to move around town looking. (My family knows their way around town and can ask for rides with other family members if they want to).
    - The day after the wedding my parents will host lunch. The traditional thing in my city: seafood and beer, (there will be other options in case of allergic people). 

I also wanted to put gift bags in the rooms, but I didn't know what to put on them.. but you have me in idea, besides the bottled water and granola bars. Little emergency kits: band aids, aspirin, bobby pins, the kind of thing people may need and the hotel room doesn't provide.

And of course the thank you notes are very important.

I think neither of us is missing anything essential, but if I think of something else I'll let you know ;) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gtgm89 said:
    fungrl97 said:

Hi... I'm going through the exact same thing as you are... My FI and I are from different cities, we currently live in different cities as do our families, and they're all 10 hour drives apart. It's a bit of a mess, so we also had a difficult time choosing.
    We decided to do it in my hometown, because my family owns a ranch there that's perfect for the reception, and also because, as is your case, some of my OOT family can stay with other family members. 
    I totally agree with you. Our guests are making and effort, spending money and time to be with us on our special day, so we have to make things as easy and comfortable for them as possible. It's the least we can do.
    Here's what I have for OOT guests so far.
    - I made research of all the airlines, flights, schedules etc. and posted the info online for them in our wedding page.
    - We got special group rates in 2 different hotels that are next to each other. One is 5-star and the other is business class. That way they will decide how much they want to spend on that.
    - We will have transportation available for all the wedding related events. Car pooling is really not an option for us because the ranch is a 30 minute drive from the church, so going back and forth for people would take hours, and there aren't enough locals to drive everyone haha..:)
    - We won't have a rehearsal dinner (we're Mexican, and here we don't do that) But, we will have a welcome, ice-breaking kind of thing at a friend's outdoors restaurant, we'll provide pizza, wine and beer. It will be a laid back thing for our guests to relax from their flights or drives. No pressure of formal wear until the wedding day.
    - I will have a beauty team in one of the hotel rooms for my FI's family members who want professional help to get ready so they won't have to move around town looking. (My family knows their way around town and can ask for rides with other family members if they want to).
    - The day after the wedding my parents will host lunch. The traditional thing in my city: seafood and beer, (there will be other options in case of allergic people). 

I also wanted to put gift bags in the rooms, but I didn't know what to put on them.. but you have me in idea, besides the bottled water and granola bars. Little emergency kits: band aids, aspirin, bobby pins, the kind of thing people may need and the hotel room doesn't provide.

And of course the thank you notes are very important.

I think neither of us is missing anything essential, but if I think of something else I'll let you know ;) 
    We are doing gift bags and are putting directions to the event as well as shuttle information, for those who are sure to have forgotten it. We are also putting some local stuff from the area (chocolate, tillamook cheese sticks, etc). In the bag we are writing personal notes to the guests thanking them for taking the time to join us, then we don't have to mention them in the thank-you notes. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • These are all really great ideas.  I'm glad I saw the tip about a small kit with band-aids and bobby pins along with pain killers.  I think that's a great idea.  A thank you note in each bag will be tough though since the hotel requested that all the bags be the same...

Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards