Plus-Sized

Alterations heads up!!

I just want to share an experience I just "suffered" when I brought my gown to a seamstress for a quote on alterations. Back story: When I began gown shopping, I was told that I needed to purchase a size 24 gown because of my bust size. The bridal sizing charts listed my waist size at a 16. I was told that they would have to alter the rest of my gown to that size 16. I keep wondering how much detail would be lost in this case and figured I would have to purchase something with less or no embellishments at all. No embellishments depressed me along with the fact that there were very very limited stores here that carry "plus size" gowns. I went to the 2 that did...and they didnt even carry 24's for me to try on. I couldnt imagine ordering from a pic on their computer screens.
By chance one day, I stopped into a small boutique. The owner approached and I told her my dilemma. She immediately said "you are not a 24" and put me in a dressing room where I waited. She handed me a size 16 gown and I told her that she was off her rocker! There was no way I was gonna fit. (completely not thinking). Well, I slipped the gown right up and the back didnt close but went around/under my arm pits. She yelled, as if it could be a problem for me) that she'd have to add a corset to make it work! Well, I wanted one anyway. After 13 gowns, I found my gown!

Current day! Last week I took gown to a very reputable seamstress to compare costs of alterations. I put gown on and was told devastating news. It was too small...nothing can be done to alter it....the entire gown would need to be rebuilt which wasnt possible because of embellishments. A mother/daughter team, they also told me that whoever order this gown screwed up royally. I was devastated!!! I spent the next 4 hours in total upset until my next appt. with the woman who I purchased gown from.

I went in, put gown on...she went behind me...measured "opening" where gown didnt close (zipper) and walked out. A few minutes later, she came in with a "corset kit" measured it... held it in the "space" AND SAID "GREAT!"  No problem!!!!!! And she had it done the next day (friday)!!!! I havent gone in yet but I am positive that it will be fine. Also, I was told that the cups were too small and could not be altered (mom/daughter team). Not only are they not small, the sides have to be taken in!!! The greatest part...the skirt (ballgown) doesnt need alterations (only hem) and I lose no detail!!! I think this woman is brilliant! I had a larger selection to choose from by going with my "waist" size and save tons in alterations!!!

SO...when one seamstress says no way...dont give up!!!!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: Alterations heads up!!

• def take your dress to someone who knows what they are doing.. its also good to ask them have you worked on this particular designer before if so do you know or remember any styles you altered.

if they have not ask them what needs to be done and if they can perform it.

i started my dress journey at 3 bridal salons at the second salon i was like a kid in a candy store omg you have that many gowns for me about 15+ gowns for me to try on im a street 22 and i tried everything on from 20s-30s i have a smaller bust so my dress was ordered in a 26 to fit my waist, bust needs significant altering
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards