Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bride Planning Rehearsal Dinner?

I know tradition says the grooms family is supposed to plan the rehearsal dinner. However, my parents own a restaurant, it would make more financial choice for us to host the rehearsal dinner there. I don't want to over step their toes.

I mean our wedding isn't for two years, but I was talking to my mom about it.
August 9, 2015

Re: Bride Planning Rehearsal Dinner?

• Options
    boxjelly said:
    I know tradition says the grooms family is supposed to plan the rehearsal dinner. However, my parents own a restaurant, it would make more financial choice for us to host the rehearsal dinner there. I don't want to over step their toes.

I mean our wedding isn't for two years, but I was talking to my mom about it.
    If your FI's family offers (without being asked) to host the rehearsal dinner, they get to choose where and how to host it.  If nobody offers to host your rehearsal dinner then it's the job of you and your FI to host and pay for it, unless you go without having a rehearsal altogether.  If you're hosting and paying for the rehearsal dinner you get to decide where and how you host it, and in that case you can plan to do it at your family's restaurant.

• Options
    I don't think the traditional rules apply all the time anymore (unless your families want them too). For example mine and my fiance's families each offered to gift us a certain amount to contribute to the wedding. Some of that money is being used for the rehearsal dinner. Just wait and see how your families choose to handle the budget I suppose :)
  • Options
    The bride can pay for her own rehearsal dinner.  Ask your fiancé if his parents are planning on hosting your rehearsal dinner before you make plans.  If they want to then you can suggest your parents restaurant and they can still pay for it.  Or you can suggest that the cost be split.  But you should never tell someone where you want your rehearsal dinner if they would like to host one for you.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I vote go ahead and plan it for your family's restaurant.  If his parents then say something to you about wanting to host one thank them and explain you already have it booked.  They will then either decide to contribute to it or they won't.  We planned ours and expected to pay for it but that night his mom informed him she would be footing the bill.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Great ideas!

I think if we do one it might be a lunch or a brunch due to us having a Sunday Wedding and my parent's cant close the restaurant on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks!
    August 9, 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards