Wedding Etiquette Forum

eloping in Mexico, just the 2 of us...

how can I make a ceremony of just us flow? Have other brides had beach/destination wedding with just the 2 of you? how did you handle the dinner, did you do a first dance? walk down an aisle or walk down together? I am stuck!! Help :)

Re: eloping in Mexico, just the 2 of us...

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I'm a little confused by why you think you would do things like that. What aisle do you have to walk down? If you want to go dancing then go dancing. What is there to "handle" about dinner? You eat and have a good time.

Would you mind being more descriptive on what you are planning and what you think you are expected to do?
  • The best part o fit just being the 2 of you is you can do whatever the hell you want because there is no one else there to worry about.

Walk down the aisle or don't, go dancing or don't, and yes you should probably eat at some point.
  • My friend and her husband eloped. 
    They did their first look and walked up to the officiant together, got married, and then had a romantic candlelit dinner.

All you really have to do is figure out what elements you want to have in your ceremony, a special reading, meaningful song, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014

How do you handle dinner? You make reservations somewhere. . Where would you do the dance? At the restaurant? Bc that would be awkward.

Where do you plan to elope in Mexico? At a resort? Will they be setting up an aisle for you to walk down?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • First you make sure you've met all the requirements necessary to get married in Mexico. Then you find an officiant, say your vows, he/she will pronounce you married, and you walk away all giddy. Then you go somewhere to eat and celebrate with each other (and maybe have lots of lovin' for dessert). I'd skip a first dance (unless it's the horizontal kind)because well, no one would be there to watch you.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Have you checked into the requirements to get married in Mexico?  Their laws are very strict.  You must be there for a few days before your marriage, have blood work and possibly a chest x-ray done by a local doctor, and go to city hall for a civil ceremony.  You can say vows on the beach, but the civil ceremony is the legal one. There is a lot of paperwork that must be done both in Spanish and English.  There are other places that are easier to elope
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I've witnessed them before.  Each one was a little different.   One I was a witness for they couple just showed up on the beach together with the officiant.  They said their vows.  took some pictures and then took us out to dinner.  Ha.

Some had the groom standing with the officiant and the bride walking down an "aisle" of flowers or shells to say their vows.  Took pictures then had a private dinner on the beach.  The beach was on a resort.

I've seen elopements on the boat.  Just the bride/groom and the crew.  So we (the crew) were the witnesses that signed the paper.  We sailed around during sunset.  Then we would anchor as the sun went down.  The officiant gathered us all at the bow of the boat.  They said their vows, took pictures.  Talked, had champagne, ate a little.    

Some of them had live music for the procession or while sailing around during the sunset.  Others didn't.

It's really up to you.  It was fun being apart of people's special day.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Have you checked into the requirements to get married in Mexico?  Their laws are very strict.  You must be there for a few days before your marriage, have blood work and possibly a chest x-ray done by a local doctor, and go to city hall for a civil ceremony.  You can say vows on the beach, but the civil ceremony is the legal one. There is a lot of paperwork that must be done both in Spanish and English.  There are other places that are easier to elope
    Now, here's an interesting question… if you choose to elope in Mexico and truly have no guests, but also choose to get married by a JOP in the States before, are you really having a PPD? I feel like this is a matter of "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?" Technically no guests are lied to or forced to watch a reenactment. Unless you count the fake officiant in Mexico? Granted, its a totally bizarre thing to do, but is it still rude? Or just weird?

I'm really just playing devil's advocate here but its still and interesting question?
  • If there are no guests, you can do whatever you want.  However, if the OP is counting on getting married in Mexico on the beach, she may be disappointed.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • SarahRN87 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Now, here's an interesting question… if you choose to elope in Mexico and truly have no guests, but also choose to get married by a JOP in the States before, are you really having a PPD? I feel like this is a matter of "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?" Technically no guests are lied to or forced to watch a reenactment. Unless you count the fake officiant in Mexico? Granted, its a totally bizarre thing to do, but is it still rude? Or just weird?

I'm really just playing devil's advocate here but its still and interesting question?
    Haha, I already had that exact phrase in my head reading this thread thinking about the Mexico requirements!

I think it would be weird and bizarre, but there's nobody to be rude to.  Hypothetical PPD-eloping couple, knock yourselves out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• If a PPD happens and no one is there to witness it, it isn't really a PPD.  ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If a PPD happens and there's no one there to witness it, does it make an eye roll?

;P
  • saric83saric83 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    CMGragain said:
    We got married in Mexico, and there actually was no requirement to go to city hall nor the chest x-ray (but that depends state-to-state like you mentioned as a possible thing).  

I'm not saying it's the easiest thing in the world, but it can also be pretty darn simple as we never had to leave the resort for any of the prep (onsite doctor and onsite judge/officiant). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards