Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Any way to fix this invitation fail?

We had an invitation returned by the post office yesterday, because of a wrong address. It took nearly a month from the time I mailed it to make it accross the country and back. Since it's FI's high school friend and his wife, I asked him to contact his friend, explain what happened, give them the wedding info so they could plan to attend if they like, and get their correct address so I could mail the invitation. From comparing what we got back to my spreadsheet, it appears we had the right address but a 6 got flipped to a 9 when we addressed the envelope, and I failed to double-check. They at least got our save-the-date (which had a link to the website, with time/location/hotel info), and had at that time told FI that they would try to make it, but it is far to travel. I feel bad, because the late invitation certainly doesn't help them with planning for that sort of travel, and I can see that sealing the deal of them not coming.

I was thinking of including a handwritten note with the invitation, apologizing for the mix-up, saying we hope they can still make it, and acknowledging that the RSVP deadline on the card (likely) will have passed by the time they get the inviation but we have a couple more weeks before we need final numbers and they can contact FI directly if they are more comfortable with that. Is any part of that appropriate? Should I just leave out the last part and have FI relay them that message directly? Should I stay away from all special notes entirely? I just feel so bad that we messed this up, and I'm not sure if there is an etiquette-approved way of remedying it. What would you do?

Re: Any way to fix this invitation fail?

• Options
    I think a call here would be more effective than an added note. Re-send the invite, like, today, and call to apologize and ask if they're able to make it and let them know that the invite is in the mail again. If they got the STD, they would have decide by now whether they're coming, so I wouldn't sweat that.
  • Options
    I agree with the PP to make a call to the couple explaining what happened.  Then you can send the invitation just so they would have it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

That sucks, but it was an honest mistake.  I would include the handwritten note telling them that the last date they can RSVP by is actually x date (the day before your final numbers are due to the venue).  If at all possible, either overnight the invite or do a priority flat rate envelope or something, so it can get there faster.

Since they received a STD, they probably would have been budgeting since then to possibly attend.  So I think that just because your invite is getting to them later, it will not prevent them from attending if they had planned all along to go.

• Options
    Call them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I had an invitation come back (about a month after they were sent) because a digit got missed in the apartment number when addresses were copied to envelopes, and I missed it on my double check from our master list.  I called my friend, explained the situation, and asked if she would like me to resend the invite. She said I didn't need to resend it, so I asked her which meal she wanted and marked her response.  (She had already reserved her hotel room and I knew that she was coming before this happened.)  If she had wanted, I would have re-mailed it.
  • Options
    We had a few invites returned to us.  2 the week of the wedding.   We just called the guests as they were returned to us or after the RSVP date had passed.   Mistakes happen, do not stress about it.   Call explain and let them know when the latest you need to have the answer by.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Call and apologize profusely. Resending the invitation, along with an apology note, is a nice touch, but the issue right now isn't that they need to receive a paper invitation, but that they need to be apologized to and invited. A phone call is the fastest way to do those things.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    phira said:
    Call and apologize profusely. Resending the invitation, along with an apology note, is a nice touch, but the issue right now isn't that they need to receive a paper invitation, but that they need to be apologized to and invited. A phone call is the fastest way to do those things.
    To clarify, FI did call his friend as soon as I found invitation back in my mailbox. At that point he explained what happened, apologized, gave them the wedding info so they knew they were invited, and confirmed their address. (We're stuck in separate states right now, so I wasn't around to overhear the conversation, though). 

He just told me he heard back from his friend again (I assume the guy just got a chance talk to his wife about it) and they won't be able to make it. It is my uneducated assumption that I should send them the invitation anyway (just like you would for someone who told you they couldn't make it after getting a save-the-date). Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
  • Options
    You're right, send the invite anyway so that they know it wasn't a snub. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards