Attire & Accessories Forum

How long does dress shopping take?

I have finally found a time that my Mom, Sister and Mother in Law can all get together to go dress shopping but were limited to only the afternoon. I want to visit as many boutiques as possible, so we can look at as many dresses as possible. I just need to know how long to expect to stay at each boutique? Any ideas? 

Re: How long does dress shopping take?

• Most salons really only book you for an hour slot - whether they tell you that or not. Usually when you go (especially on a weekend), they've got another bride walking in behind you that's just as eager to try on dresses. 

When I went back to the salon to revisit and purchase my dress, I was there on a Tuesday afternoon and they let me linger around because there was only one other bride in there, which was nice. 

For one afternoon, I wouldn't schedule more than three salons (really only two if it were me). The dresses start to blur together; you'll want time to process and explore what each salon can offer you.
  • 60-90 minutes per appointment, and add in travel time between.   Chances are, you will only be able to visit 2 or 3 salons in one day.
  • Awesome! Thank you for the info!
  • I second the not booking too many appointments in one day.  You can over shop and then you will just be ridiculously confused.  Have you ever watched Say Yes to the Dress?  There have been brides who have tried on over 100+ dresses and still can't find "the" one.  So your best bet is to not go into the dress shopping experience with any expectations.

When you first try on dresses focus on the shape of the dress.  Once you find a shape you like then move onto a fabric.  Once you find a fabric you like then focus on the details of the dress.  This will help you narrow your choices down.

Just know that dress shopping can be quick or it could be a long process.  But when you do find your dress stop looking.  So many brides get dress remorse because they can continue to look.  There are thousands and thousands of dresses out there and you will always be able to find others that you like, but just like with your FI, you pick one that you love and you stick with it, you don't keep searching for something better.

• If this is your first time out, I might even go to DB or AA alone just to get an idea of shapes/fabrics/styles and figuring out what YOU like before getting family involved. 

Anniversary
  • tortoisebridetortoisebride member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    If this is your first time out, I might even go to DB or AA alone just to get an idea of shapes/fabrics/styles and figuring out what YOU like before getting family involved. 
    I second this. You may think you want a ballgown but then realize it makes you look like a toilet paper doll (click me). It gives you more information to work with while you do online browsing and more of an idea what to say when you work with a consultant.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed with figuring out what you like first, and also focusing on shape. When I went dress shopping for the first time, all I really knew was that I did not want a ball gown because I am a small girl, but I also have curves. It was nice to be able to let the consultant narrow down some options for me so I could decide yes I like satin, no I don't like lace etc. It turns out I fell in love with a very slim Mermaid gown because even though I thought I could never pull it off, when I put the dress on I felt everything a bride should feel when she tries on THE dress. Go in open minded, and don't be afraid to say you don't like something just because your mom or sister picked it. You have to feel comfortable and beautiful in your gown.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Expect to take about an hour per shop, at least. 
  • i would start looking at designers to get a feel for what types of dresses are out there find a few designers that have styles you like and or love and then figure out from the store locator who carries those gowns.

gowns that are in the 500-200 range with most being in the 800-1500 range
    morilee
    jasmine
    venus
    bonny
    allure

• I was in and out in two hours with my dress ordered. The hour appointment thing is right - the girl scheduled after me cancelled. I already knew what color and fabric I wanted; was just a matter of silhouette/neckline. No need to try on lots and lots of dresses. I think I tried on 7 or 8.

• I'd say they average an hour, but to be honest I had two appointments where the consultant spent almost 2 hours with me. So I'd err on the side of caution and only book 2 appointments per afternoon. Besides, you'll be tired after getting in and out of dresses all afternoon! Have fun and DEFINITELY take pictures for later (if the shop allows you to). That was very helpful for me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards