Attire & Accessories Forum

Purples

My bridesmaids' dresses are David's Bridal's Plum.

If I use purple in the flowers or silk petals does the purple have to match the plum? I don't know if it is possible to get them to match, and now I am worried it will look like a hot mess. Everything I have samples of are dark purple, but not exact matches. 

Now I am thinking about adding a lavender somewhere so it doesn't look like I tried and failed to match.

(I was ok until my MOH went to the wedding and said "It was nice but the purples didn't match." LOL 
---
tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Purples

• Sample of the purples

Sample bouquet I ordered

Dress color from DB website (I remember it being darker in person)

Silk petals I ordered
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Can you get a BM to try her dress on and hold the flowers so you can see what they look like together?
  • Is there another color you are incorporating for your wedding?
  • I ask this because I was also a bridesmaid where the bride used David's bridal plum for our dresses. However she incorporated other colors she was using. The flowers were orange. (Her colors were plum, and a burnt orange, with an ivory/beige)
  • Here are some pics
  • tabathafayetabathafaye member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    doeydo said:
    Can you get a BM to try her dress on and hold the flowers so you can see what they look like together?
    We haven't ordered their dresses yet. I can take this lil bouquet with me in a few weeks when we all meet up to order them, until then I will just have to obsess about it. LOL

Is there another color you are incorporating for your wedding?
    I am so bad at design I wouldn't know what color to add in. Any suggestions? Yellow?

I guess with the wine bottles, I should consider green a wedding color. I am also switching ivory roses and handle wrap for the bouquet's white.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Purple is a difficult color to work with.  My suit for daughter's wedding was a blueish purple (my favorite shade) but reddish purple was that season's color.  I couldn't find a hat to match, so I gave up and got an ivory one.
    I think pps have a good idea to find an additional color to accent.  The flowers certainly don't need to match exactly, but it helps if they are in the same tone group.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @tabathafaye

You can do different purples and pinks. Or purple and ivory, or purple and yellow like you said.
  • You should take a look on Pinterest. They have amazing ideas for color variations!
  • I think your life will be easier if you pick a coordinating color like lavender or maybe a violet so that it doesn't look like you failed at matching.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would go with either a shade of lavender or light purple or incorporate another color to "pop".

Orange, yellow, pale pink, lime green all look fantastic with purple

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I wouldn't notice a "matching fail". I would go, "Oh, purple dresses! Look, the flowers are purple too!" and then bust a move on the dance floor. 
  • My sister designed all the flowers for my wedding.  We didn't even TRY to 'match' my purple gown, because, if was just a SHADE off, it'd look bad.

We went with softer purples (lilacs) or very dark purples.  My sister also used the complimentary colors from the color wheel; greens, and lots of white/ivory/cream.

Honestly, next to my dress, my flowers were my FAVORITE thing at my wedding (well my bouquet) because I think it looked BEAUTIFUL.

I think you can't perfectly match a dress shade with a silk flower shade without driving yourself insane.  Besides, silk flower colors on the screen are never true to life.  Factor in the colors will change depending on the lighting involved (indoor vs. outdoor/sunlight).  My sister MADE me take my flowers outside since we were doing an outdoor wedding to see them once they came in to verify I really did like the colors.

But, my sister's a wee bit neurotic.  LOL!!
  • Our colours are eggplant (very close to plum) and lilac/lavender. These are the flowers we will be using, varying by type of arrangement. I think it would work great with your colour as well.
  • My girls are wearing the plum as well (and it's def darker in person). I'm doing eggplant and Picasso callas and incorporating some small sunflowers and blue hydrangeas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaB said:
    I wouldn't notice a "matching fail". I would go, "Oh, purple dresses! Look, the flowers are purple too!" and then bust a move on the dance floor. 
    Where can I send your invitation? hehehe
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My bridesmaids are wearing the DB plum as well and it is darker in person than it is on the website. My accent color is champagne. My bouquet is going to have dark purple and off-white callas with a champagne ribbon wrap. The purple is close to the plum though but I think I just got lucky. I am doing silk flowers as well and got them from wedideas.com if you want to take a look there. I don't think anyone will really notice or care that you're flowers aren't the same shade of purple though and think lavendar or some softer shade of purple will look nice as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards