Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Help! Undergarments for trying on dresses?

So I'm going to try on dresses for the first time TODAY. and I just thought about what I'm going to be wearing underneath. I was going to wear a nude strapless bra and nude thong. Everything I'm googling says NOT to wear a thong. What's the big deal? Am I going to horribly embarrass myself and the salesperson by wearing one? A lot of suggestions say to wear spanx. I don't own spanx as I've never had a reason to wear them.
Am I really that weird if I wear a thong?

Re: Help! Undergarments for trying on dresses?

• Options
    Some people say not to wear a thong b/c it is likely the consultant will, at some point, see your ass. For me, I did not care about that. I did, however, wear my Spanx as well b/c I wanted my fat ass as jiggle-free as possible, and it makes a difference on me how I look in certain clothes. They will also probably try to get you to wear one of the bras they have in the store, but you don't have to. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you are comfortable having your consultant see you in a thong, then I guess there is no problem with it. 
  • Options
    Def wear a strapless/convertible bra, most of the dresses will be strapless. As for undies wear what is comfortable and what you think you will want to wear under your dress day of. If you have never had to wear spanx, aren't woried about jiggles and bulges don't worry about it, and like Addie said the shop will most likely have bras for you to try on with your dress especially if yours doesn't work with the dress (low back).
  • Options
    As long as you don't mind the consultant seeing your butt a thong is fine. But most dresses wouldn't show through to panty lines or underwear color so it doesn't really matter if you wear a thong vs regular underwear unless you are going for slinkier dresses. Spanx are only if you plan to wear them at the wedding. I never wear those and did not bring them. A heavier girl was trying on dresses before me and she was having trouble sliding dresses off and on because of her size but the spanx were actually making it more difficult and creating bulges. Maybe she had the wrong type or size of spanx but it sounded like a bad time!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I wore the thong! lol. That's what I feel more comfortable in. The girl stayed right outside the changing room anyways so she didn't even have to look at my butt!

• Options
    Honestly when I went and tried on dresses I took my bra off. And I just wore normal underwear. But I have no issues with a consultant seeing by girls lol
  • Options
    I usually go with the spanx because quite honestly most of the samples would not fit if I didn't wear them. They are really just for smoothing out problem areas and give you a more flawless figure so that you won't be hung up on body image issues and can concentrate on the look of the dress itself. Most women don't need them at all, and I don't wear them with anything but dresses.
  • Options
    I honestly think wearing a thong is a little rude. OP is lucky that in her case the consultant stayed outside. I just think if you know you are going to be in various stages of undress, wear undergarments that are a little more modest. I'm not suggesting granny panties or anything, but something that offers coverage of your ass crack would be appreciated, I'm sure.
  • Options
    I just wore a nude convertible bra and what I call "no wedgies" that I got from walmart. They are full cut panties that are frankly the ugliest panties I have ever seen in my life but GOD are they COMFY!! I don't own spanx either, and don't require shapewear for under my dress so I purchased those undies on a whim because they are nude and they said on the hanger "won't budge/ride up" ...they were right! They stick like a super model's swimsuit, but they don't have that goofy silicone sticky strip thingy that a lot of thigh-highs and other types of "no ride up" panties have, these are completely seamless and undetectable under any dress I tried on. Just for future reference in case anyone else is having trouble finding comfy undies for trying on dresses :)
  • Options
    Are they these?   http://www.amazon.com/Warners-Wedgies-Worries-Hipster-5639/dp/B00116ZZ66
    Because I feel unfashionable is those are the ugliest panties you've ever seen, haha.   I would wear whatever I was going to wear for the wedding. Or the same fit/style if I was going to buy some specific lingerie or something.
  • Options

I honestly think wearing a thong is a little rude. OP is lucky that in her case the consultant stayed outside. I just think if you know you are going to be in various stages of undress, wear undergarments that are a little more modest. I'm not suggesting granny panties or anything, but something that offers coverage of your ass crack would be appreciated, I'm sure.
    Agreed.  If you are planning on trying on dresses anywhere else, I would wear normal underwear, and not a thong.

When I tried on dresses the consultants came into the dressing room with me to help me in and out of the dresses.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    sbar58926 said:
    Are they these?   http://www.amazon.com/Warners-Wedgies-Worries-Hipster-5639/dp/B00116ZZ66
    Because I feel unfashionable is those are the ugliest panties you've ever seen, haha.   I would wear whatever I was going to wear for the wedding. Or the same fit/style if I was going to buy some specific lingerie or something.
    I do believe those are the undies LOL. I plan on those and bust cups sewn into the dress so I don't have to worry about the strapless bra boob shimmy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards