Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Tentative Menu...suggestions/critiques?

Hi all, 

FI and I are getting married in late October in New England. We have a "details" meeting next week with the venue, and one of the things we are going to do is plan the menu. (Obviously we will be able to make changes until a bit before the wedding).

This is what we've come up with so far:

-----------------

Cocktail Hour

Passed Hors D'oeuvres:
Crispy Truffle 'Mac and Cheese' Risotto Cake
Balsamic Fig and Goat Cheese Flatbread
Plum Tomato and Mozzarella Crostini w/ Basil Oil and Balsamic Glaze
Chicken Satay w/ Cucumber Mint Relish
Rosemary-Dijon Crusted Lollipop Lamb Chops w/ Port Wine Reduction
(Sesame Tuna Sashimi on Crispy Wonton Chip w/ Wasabi Vinaigrette -- ?)

Stationed Displays:
Artisan Cheese Board - Local Farmstead Cheeses, Currant Preserves, 8 y/o Balsamic, Shallot Jam, Honey Comb, Fruit Fruit, Assorted Crostinis
Vegetable Crudite Display - (self-explanatory)
Mediterranean Display - assortment of hummus, pita chips, falafel, babaganoush, stuffed grape leaves, tabbouleh and tzatziki
Sushi Station - Salmon, Tuna, and Vegetable rolls made to order, garnished w/ wasabi, pickled ginger, and soy dipping sauce
(Make-Your-Own Taco Bar -- can't decide if necessary or no?)

Drinks:
5 hour top shelf open bar (including all the non-alcoholic drinks people want)
2 signature drinks - "hers" (TBD cocktail) and "his" (shipyard pumpkinhead)

Plated Meal (served w/ dinner rolls and butter)

Champagne Toast at the tables

First Course - Duet of:
Pumpkin Bisque w/ Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Cinnamon Infused Creme Fraiche
and
Baby Arugula Salad w/ Spiced Pecans (on the side), dried cranberries, chevre cheese, and champagne vinaigrette

Entree - Choice of:
Sea Salt Encrusted Filet Mignon w/ Chive Mashed Potatoes, Grilled Pencil Asparagus, and Cognac Peppercorn Sauce
Citrus Poached Salmon w/ orange fennel salad, saffron rice, and fire roasted asparagus
Vegetable Napoleon - Israeli couscous topped with a garlic spinach saute, grilled summer vegetables, a portobello mushroom w/ balsamic glaze and basil oil
Kosher Option - TBD

Dessert
Slice of wedding cake served w/ raspberry coulis, whipped cream, and a chocolate covered strawberry
Sugar-free "trio" of cookie+brownie, deep dish apple pie, and NY style cheesecake with fresh berries (available to a handful of people who are diabetic/cannot eat sugar)

After party
Trays of "late night munchies" served at the hotel bar.....haven't decided on what we want yet...

-----------------

Open to all suggestions/critiques/ideas...! Thanks :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tentative Menu...suggestions/critiques?

• I think all of that sounds delicious!  I don't think you need the make-your-own taco bar, plus it might be messy.  Your menu sounds like you're having a formal wedding, so people will be dressed nicely and probably don't want to risk spilling taco on their nice dress/shirt.
  • @Ven&Radio - I didn't even think of the messiness factor! Thanks!

@Scribe95 - I don't necessarily think they're needed, either. FI's parents (they're generously pitching in with some money and they wanted to help pick the food - their side has many family/friends who keep Kosher, so they're "in charge" of making sure all the food "passes") are pushing a HUGE cocktail hour, they honestly wanted to add pasta stations and mini-meal stations and more passed apps as well. The handful of weddings I've been to with FI and his family in NY, stupidly (at least, I thought it was stupid to do this) had cocktail hours with too much food, and then no one was hungry for the meal, and it was a little sad to see that beautifully cooked filet go to waste! Then along with the cake they had dessert tables/stations with 10-15 other options.  It seems "the thing" to do their circles, but I just don't understand it...

One reason I was considering the late night trays; if dinner is at 7 or 8 pm, after a night of drinking and dancing, would people be hungry again at 1 or 2 am? Or just something to counteract all the alcohol at that point?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ceremony is at 5:30. cocktail hour is 6-7. reception is 7-11. (Obviously optional) after-party is after the reception, at a local bar/restaurant. I don't really consider it part of the reception, but we will still be hosting in terms of guests not paying for drinks. 

All of the weddings I've been to in the last few years have had some sort of after-party - even it was an impromptu gathering at a hotel bar or hotel room as people returned from the reception. I figured if our wedding was going to end up the same, I'd at least have some munchies prepared to offer the guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG all of your food sounds delish! I agree, the taco bar is definitely not necessary (though incredibly yummy sounding). And I love your FI's choice of the Shipyard Pumpkin for his drink! And I know that I would be incredibly grateful to have late night snacks after a night of drinking and dancing, no matter how much I may have eaten earlier in the evening.
  • @Scribe95 - I probably could've explained it more clearly in the OP. The trays would probably be basic munchies - chips, cookies, finger foods...things people like when they've been drinking for a while. (In college, my go-to midnight snack was a cheese quesadilla...lol!)

@ckel24 - It's the only beer that he really likes! Especially with the wedding in October, he's insisting on that as one of the special request drinks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Everything sounds delicious.  But for the veg option--vegetable napoleon--it's sounds just like couscous with grilled vegetables.  I would see if they could get some protein into the dish--tofu, seitan, legumes, etc.

I totally know what you're talking about with weddings with huge cocktail hours where no one is hungry for the entree.  We had a discussion about this on the luxury board.
  • Holy crap that's a lot of food. I don't think you need that many during the cocktail hour, especially since you're serving dinner. I know that I'd be way too full to even touch my steak!
  • Taco bar doesn't seem to really fit in with the style of the rest of the foods you are offering. I would consider reducing some of the cocktail hour options because if I were a guest and enjoyed all of those wonderful items you have listed, I won't need any dinner, or eat very little of that and it would be a same to see the dinner be wasted.
  • I would be a seriously happy camper at your wedding. There is not a single choice I dislike on your menu. 

A few notes: 

- I agree with others that a taco bar might be too messy. Your food makes the wedding sound quite formal. I would nix the taco bar.
    - AWESOME job choosing your veggie dish. I have so many vegetarian friends that are sick of penne and vegetables. Your dish sounds amazing.
    - We thought about a cognac peppercorn sauce for our filet as well (we aren't having our wedding until June) but my mom mentioned that peppercorn sauces are sometimes VERY peppery and unappetizing to some. At your tasting, be on the look out for this! Otherwise, I love cognac so I'm right there with you.

Also, I'm going to go against what others have said and mention that I'm all for after party food. We are also having a ton of food at our wedding and I love late night snacks. I always get hungry when I've been drinking. 
  • menu sounds yummy based on what you wrote about your food choices and dinner choices your venue sounds exactly like my brothers venue he had his wedding at ( also a new england wedding)

if in fact it was  is the same venue based on the food descriptions the veg Neapolitan is amazing 
  • menu sounds yummy based on what you wrote about your food choices and dinner choices your venue sounds exactly like my brothers venue he had his wedding at ( also a new england wedding)

if in fact it was  is the same venue based on the food descriptions the veg Neapolitan is amazing 
    Where did your brother get married?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    No taco bar, and I don't think you need all the stationary apps. I'd pick maybe two.  I think if you have everything at cocktail hour, your meal will totally be wasted. It's one thing to have plenty of food available, it's another to go so overboard it looks garish and wasteful.  But it all sounds yummy!  Except maybe the salad. I know a lot of people (like me) who hate arugula. I won't touch the stuff. Maybe a mix of different greens would be a little more widely appealing?

Oh, and definitely verify with your intended guests for the sugar free options as well. My family knows I'm diabetic, but I also have a severe intolerance to artificial sweeteners. I'd be bummed if someone thought they were helping by giving me something without sugar, when in reality I could only eat the regular dessert. I'd have to trap a waiter to see if I can get the regular dessert. So, trust but verify!
  • 1) Your food sounds amazing

2) I think you have too much.  I would cut the taco bar (like PP suggested) and at least one of the stations.  I think the passed apps along with the cheese and veggies will be plenty for a cocktail hour.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • @casey8784 he had his reception at the riverview in simsbury ct they also own the  fox hill inn in brookfield ct  the candlewood inn in brookfield and the waterview in moonroe ct

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Your food sounds amazing. I'd nix the taco bar based on messiness and how formal the rest of it sounds. 

IMO tons of food = awesome.

If you're worried about leftovers, perhaps ask the catering staff if the leftover food can be boxed up or donated. (I don't know if donating food is an option per the health department etc. but it would be nice to know it wasn't going to waste). 

In my circle, tons of food and options are served at weddings. Yours fits that bill. I'd be thrilled.
  • I might cut down on the cocktail hour a little bit, since you don't want people to be too full to eat dinner and dessert. And I agree with others that the taco bar is not necessary.

That said, everything sounds absolutely delicious (that salmon entree sounds AMAZING!) and it looks like you've taken your guests' needs into consideration very well. 
  • Oh, and definitely verify with your intended guests for the sugar free options as well. My family knows I'm diabetic, but I also have a severe intolerance to artificial sweeteners. I'd be bummed if someone thought they were helping by giving me something without sugar, when in reality I could only eat the regular dessert. I'd have to trap a waiter to see if I can get the regular dessert. So, trust but verify!
    We will verify with the handful of guests, and I just left a message with the venue as to ask how they make their sugar free desserts - if they use any artificial ones at all or nothing. good idea, thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards