Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do I tip these vendors????

I'm kind of unsure on who, if any, of these I need to tip. My vendors are:

Photographer (her own business)
Caterer (through the venue, already has a required 22% "gratuity and set-up charge" plus tax
Florist (using Kroger)
Organist (I would think her, but how much?)
Baker (possibly? but if so how much? My cake isn't too big at a $300 cake and a delivery charge)
DJ (his own business)
We are driving ourselves away (we think?) but may have a fire truck for our getaway car and a firefighter drive it (FI is fire dept)
Seamstress (again, her own business)
Bartender (~50 drinkers for 4 hours, the "consumption fee" gets the same 22% gratuity charge from our venue as catering)
Officiant (employed through the church but has her own fee that we pay her personally for, not the church)
DOC for church (provided free of charge with our church rental)
DOC for reception venue (provided free of charge with our reception rental)

Who do I need to tip based on this and how much (I already got the hair/makeup part down so didn't include on my list)???
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I tip these vendors????

• Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    I think this is a hard question. I would not tip the bartender or caterer extra because they are already getting tipped (you may want to double check that). The DOC maybe write a thank you note, and give a good review. It's up to you if you want to tip the DJ or photographer. If they do a great job, why not? 

You do not have to tip the seamstress, as you are already paying her for her services.

I would tip the person who delivers the flowers and the cake, as well as the organist (if they do a good job). 

If you FI's friend is driving the firetruck, it's not necessary to tip, but make sure you write them a thank you note.

Ladies, any other thoughts?

ETA: Officiant- write a thank you note, you are already paying her.

• Options
    I wouldn't tip the ones who own their own business, baker or florist. I would specifically ask the caterer what the gratuity covers or how it's divided. Sometimes only the waitstaff are tipped. It would then be up to you if you want to tip the caterer. If the bartender is not covered with that gratuity I would also tip them. I feel $50 is appropriate for the organist. Agree with Husky for thank you note & good review for officiant & DOC. If you really feel you need to tip them, I'd go with $50 - 100.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Be sure to ask where that gratuity will go. Our venue/caterer (golf club) charges 18% gratuity but I think it goes to "the club".
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Photographer - I would, would you skip tipping your hair stylist if she were the salon owner. To me it doesn't make sense to not tip someone just because they are the owner. Sometimes owners make less then an employee would because they are willing to take a loss to keep their business going.

Caterer (through the venue, already has a required 22% "gratuity and set-up charge" plus tax - I wouldn't, but I would send a letter of thank you if happy that they could use as a reference and if they have a website where you can leave reviews, do that.
    Florist (using Kroger) - No
    Organist (I would think her, but how much?) - Yes
    Baker (possibly? but if so how much? My cake isn't too big at a $300 cake and a delivery charge)
    DJ (his own business) - Mine was included by reception hall so can't help you here
    We are driving ourselves away (we think?) but may have a fire truck for our getaway car and a firefighter drive it (FI is fire dept) - donation to the Fire department or send them a food tray/pizza to thank them?
    Seamstress (again, her own business) - Not sure
    Bartender (~50 drinkers for 4 hours, the "consumption fee" gets the same 22% gratuity charge from our venue as catering) - already covered by fee but if you feel like they did an extra good job like by cutting someone off that was getting out of control, go for it.
    Officiant (employed through the church but has her own fee that we pay her personally for, not the church) - We weren't charged a fee by the pastor so we gave him a monetary gift to thank him.
    DOC for church (provided free of charge with our church rental) - didn't have one so no help here
    DOC for reception venue (provided free of charge with our reception rental - again, didn't have one so no help here

• Options
    Gina0887 said:
    I'm kind of unsure on who, if any, of these I need to tip. My vendors are:

Photographer (her own business)  Budget $100-300. Don't tip her until you get your pictures back and they are AMAZING. If they are just sufficient, no need to tip.
    Caterer (through the venue, already has a required 22% "gratuity and set-up charge" plus tax Not needed if gratuity is included
    Florist (using Kroger) Like a grocery store? I don't think you need to unless they do something special.
    Organist (I would think her, but how much?) Maybe budget for $50-100?
    Baker (possibly? but if so how much? My cake isn't too big at a $300 cake and a delivery charge) Maybe budget for $50-75 and only if the cake is awesome in regard to taste and presentation.
    DJ (his own business) Budget for $100-300 and tip him after if he's totally awesome. If he goes above and beyond, tip him. If's he just OK, don't.
    We are driving ourselves away (we think?) but may have a fire truck for our getaway car and a firefighter drive it (FI is fire dept) Maybe buy the guys who are on dinner? Order some good food for them?
    Seamstress (again, her own business) Budget $50-100, so if she works wonders, you can show her you appreciate it.
    Bartender (~50 drinkers for 4 hours, the "consumption fee" gets the same 22% gratuity charge from our venue as catering) If he already gets a gratuity, there is no need.
    Officiant (employed through the church but has her own fee that we pay her personally for, not the church). Budget for 20%, and tip her that if she makes your ceremony very special.
    DOC for church (provided free of charge with our church rental) Budget for $50-75 and tip her after if she helps you out of any snaffus.
    DOC for reception venue (provided free of charge with our reception rental) Budget $75-100 tip her after if she helps you out of any tight spots.

Who do I need to tip based on this and how much (I already got the hair/makeup part down so didn't include on my list)???

JUST BECAUSE a person owns their own business doesn't mean they should automatically NOT be tipped. Does their service become less-good because they're an entrepreneur?  A lot of time, business owners don't make a huge profit - their costs are many times lower because they have lower overhead, and their "fees" aren't 100% profit - they still need to pay for materials/supplies for the job and for other overhead.

A gratuity shows gratitude for good service.

Budget tips for almost everyone who has the possibility to go above and beyond your expectations. Don't tip for crappy service. If it's just "sufficient" service, then just leave a good review. If they do well, but don't amaze you, don't feel the need to tip, but write them a stellar review. If they wow you, help you out, overcome unforeseen obstacles, etc. PLEASE tip them.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We only tipped the officiant ($50 Outback card) and the retired minister who did a blessing after the ceremony ($25 card to international beer store in the mall - his request) and the girl who did the newlywed toast (silver heart necklace).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards