Attire & Accessories Forum

Shoes - help me decide

Hi Everybody!

My wedding is mid-October and I'm having a hard time deciding on shoes.  Background of the wedding, there's going to be quite a bit of walking.  We're getting married at Walt Disney World, so after the ceremony/pictures (Disney's Boardwalk), we will be walking to our restaurant-dinner-reception (Disney's Yacht Club), from there we will be walking to watch the fireworks in Epcot (after Epcot we'll have transportation to get everybody back to their hotels/cars).  I purchased one pair of shoes but then was reminded that my ankle doesn't always love the heels I choose (so trying to keep around 3inch or under).

Here's my dress:

These are the original shoes that I just don't think are going to work out:

These are the other shoes I'm looking at
Option 1:  I really wanted blue, but these only come in pink or white:

Option 2:
Option 3 (again, wanted blue - these have great reviews though. I'm not sure if I'd go with the Silver or the Pewter):
imageimage

Option 4:  Hold off and keep looking

I'd like to spend under $100 for shoes.  I could see myself wearing all but Option 2 again with other dresses/outfits.  I know, nobody will see them and I'm somewhat leaning towards just ordering Option 1 and Option 3 knowing I'd wear them outside my wedding and deciding which is more comfortable.

And here I thought the dress was going to be the 'tough decision'!!

Anniversary

Re: Shoes - help me decide

• All of those look incredibly uncomfortable to me. Shoes that have that platform in front don't bend at all- are you used to wearing that? I would pack a clutch with little foldable flats for the walking segments lol

• I like Option 2--it is most princess-y, which goes with your dress.

I do find that platform front shoes are easier to walk in for a long time.  If they are made well--like Cole Haan puts Nike foam in the front of theirs--they are springy and comfy.  But Cole Haan's will also set you back over $200 if they're not on sale/second hand.

Ultimately, I think you should be trying shoes on, not just looking at photos.  Go somewhere like Off Broadway, or whatever large shoe place you have in your town/city, and try on every pretty pair there.  Pick the ones that feel best.  If comfy is your biggest priority, the pics really don't mean anything.  If you have multiple pairs that are comfy, then compare the pics of those.
  • I like the original pair the best. With the platform they may not bother you as much. However, since they are slingbacks, they could slip off or heel easier. If you aren't comfortable in them then I would hold off and find another pair. 

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    All of those look very uncomfortable. Are heels a must? Why not wear your original shoes for the ceremony and change into flats for the rest of the day?

• SAHoehle said:
    Ultimately, I think you should be trying shoes on, not just looking at photos.  Go somewhere like Off Broadway, or whatever large shoe place you have in your town/city, and try on every pretty pair there.  Pick the ones that feel best.  If comfy is your biggest priority, the pics really don't mean anything.  If you have multiple pairs that are comfy, then compare the pics of those.

I agree here, I find that shoes that have lots of thin straps around the toe area, like option 3,  are very uncomfy for long periods of time especially when walking since your toes have more little spaces to slip between or catch your toenails. I like option 1 best out of these shoes because they have the ankle strap that will keep them on your foot when  you're walking, but I would really go to some local shoe stores and try on a bunch. Maybe you could even search the website where you found the contenders and do a "store locator" to see if anyone in your area carries those specific shoes so at least you can compare how they feel. Good luck!
  • Thanks guys - my plan was to have a pair of like crocs to change into for the 'walking' part and the heels for the 'wedding' parts.  FI is 6'2", I'm 5'3", so heels are preferred.  Also, I am the one person that finds heels more comfortable than 'dressy flats'.

For stores around here, I've been to DSW, famous footwear, payless, a few stores at the outlet mall.  I can try Aldos.  I just haven't found anything I like.  I'm fine with ordering from Amazon, Zappos, whoever else offers 'free returns' if I don't like them.

Anniversary
  • I should have specified blue color - I'm looking for more of a Tiffany blue (if I go with blue).
    my dress is 'bridal ivory'  (soft white).
    I tried silver shoes with it and it just looked wrong - these are the shoes:  http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lulu+townsend+shania+platform+pump?prodId=dsw12prod4430010&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006

I kind of like these: http://www.zappos.com/rsvp-monaco-silver-synthetic

These are cute too - but over what I wanted to spend and no reviews: http://www.zappos.com/touch-ups-greta-white-satin

I think this is the REAL problem I want them all:

Anniversary
  • Thanks guys - my plan was to have a pair of like crocs to change into for the 'walking' part and the heels for the 'wedding' parts.  FI is 6'2", I'm 5'3", so heels are preferred.  Also, I am the one person that finds heels more comfortable than 'dressy flats'.

For stores around here, I've been to DSW, famous footwear, payless, a few stores at the outlet mall.  I can try Aldos.  I just haven't found anything I like.  I'm fine with ordering from Amazon, Zappos, whoever else offers 'free returns' if I don't like them.
    Crocs?  Seriously?  

• Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    @SAHoehle - It would just be to get from place to place - it's a 15-20 minute walk from the ceremony site to the restaurant and then another 15-20 minute site to the after party/fireworks.  I have a bum ankle, I would prefer to stay in heels if at all possible, but I do need a plan in case my ankle has other plans that day.  All pictures and time at the events would be in the 'pretty shoes', it seriously would be for get from point A to point B.

EDIT:  I'll probably do 'fancy flip flops' over crocs anyway as flip flops are more 'packable' - again it's just for walking though (if I need them).

Anniversary
  • I like both pairs of blue shoes you posted, @Dignity100.  I'm partial to blue though.  But I think both are also a reasonable height...not to high, not too low. 
    I like these. I think they go well with the dress too.

I'm with you on the preferring heals thing. My legs are so used to being in heels that it I walked around in flats for 8 hours I'd be in agony!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I found a pair of ivory satin Isotoner slippers that had pearls on them that matched my dress perfectly and were sooo comfortable to wear after the ceremony...plus, nobody could see them, so it was my secret.
  • I ended up ordering these because Amazon had them for 1/2 off and the reviews on them from every site I could find were really encouraging:

Thanks everybody for your replies.  I hope these shoes work!!

Anniversary
  • dolewhipperdolewhipper member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited May 2014
    @SAHoehle - It would just be to get from place to place - it's a 15-20 minute walk from the ceremony site to the restaurant and then another 15-20 minute site to the after party/fireworks.  I have a bum ankle, I would prefer to stay in heels if at all possible, but I do need a plan in case my ankle has other plans that day.  All pictures and time at the events would be in the 'pretty shoes', it seriously would be for get from point A to point B.

EDIT:  I'll probably do 'fancy flip flops' over crocs anyway as flip flops are more 'packable' - again it's just for walking though (if I need them).
    Have you been to the BoardWalk before? I absolutely hate crocs, but I do suggest a flat shoe for walking. The boardwalk is made of panels of wood with gaps and my heels get stuck all the time when I leave Jellyrolls. Doesn't really help that I've had a couple, but I digress. I've seen women all the time trip and get their heels stuck along the boardwalk, so to save your ankle, just go with a flat while walking. 
    Boardwalk weddings are gorgeous :) I hope you don't mind the onlookers passing by (aka. people like me!)

Edited for clarity 

imageimage

• @SAHoehle - It would just be to get from place to place - it's a 15-20 minute walk from the ceremony site to the restaurant and then another 15-20 minute site to the after party/fireworks.  I have a bum ankle, I would prefer to stay in heels if at all possible, but I do need a plan in case my ankle has other plans that day.  All pictures and time at the events would be in the 'pretty shoes', it seriously would be for get from point A to point B.

Have you been to the BoardWalk before? I absolutely hate crocs, but I do suggest a flat shoe for walking. The boardwalk is made of panels of wood with gaps and my heels get stuck all the time when I leave Jellyrolls. Doesn't really help that I've had a couple, but I digress. I've seen women all the time trip and get their heels stuck along the boardwalk, so to save your ankle, just go with a flat while walking. 
    Boardwalk weddings are gorgeous :) I hope you don't mind the onlookers passing by (aka. people like me!)

Edited for clarity 
    This is what I would be worried about - not the heel height, but the width. A little bit wider of a heel or a wedge sound like a much safer option.

• @shannonmaya - I wasn't even thinking about the wood panels - good point!!  I just want the heels for the ceremony/Dinner/Fireworks - basically the pictures.  I already have a bum ankle so I did want a flat to walk around in most of the time (but like ballerina/dress flats have less of a sole/cushion than even flip flops in my opinion). 

I'll keep an eye out for a wedge I actually like.  I would really like some heel height though.

Anniversary
  • They all are pretty but keep looking. They look uncomfortable.

• @shannonmaya - I wasn't even thinking about the wood panels - good point!!  I just want the heels for the ceremony/Dinner/Fireworks - basically the pictures.  I already have a bum ankle so I did want a flat to walk around in most of the time (but like ballerina/dress flats have less of a sole/cushion than even flip flops in my opinion). 

I'll keep an eye out for a wedge I actually like.  I would really like some heel height though.
    The one reason why I'm not going for heels during the ceremony is because I don't want my dress dragging/me having to carry it up when I decide to switch to flats...There's just something about my beautiful gown dragging and catching on the wood that makes me uncomfortable >.<

Zappos and Davids Bridal both have wedges; surprisingly DB has some comfy ones that aren't too pricey and you can dye them any color you want

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards