Getting in Shape

Need workout Ideas.

Hey ladies!
So I am kind of new to working out... in highschool I danced non-stop and was very involved in sports at school so I have never really had a problem with my weight or traditionally "working out."
With this said I have never really workout in a gym before. I have been directed to some classes like yoga and spinning classes but I need a workout routine to do. Any suggestions on work out plans?

P.S. I have the whole healthy eating and counting calories thing down but now its time to tone up!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need workout Ideas.

• If you're interested in easy DVD workouts, try "10 Minute solution Belly, Butt and Thigh Blasters with sculpting loop" Pretty easy and basic.

Also, if you have netflix streaming there is "Healing Yoga: For Common Conditions" It's very easy, but you'll be surprised how weight you'll lose just from doing that after you get home from work or before you get ready for bed. It's also very relaxing which is great for wedding stress. :)

• What are you looking to do?  Any specific goals or areas you want to work on?

330image Invited
    0image Accepted
    0image Declined
    330image Waiting
  • ZUMBA! It's so much fun and it's pretty much non-stop Latin dancing for an hour. It really, really, really tones me works me out and motivates me. I don't even feel like I'm working out. I would suggest scoping out a couple classes your area, as I've found instructors in my area vary in their intensity and makes a huge difference.

Good luck!
  • I personally do a little routine every day in my own apartment. abs on a yoga ball and some arms and legs with 5 lb weights.  You already sound as though your in good shape either healthy. So I recommend just sticking to something simple daily :)

Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it is important to do both weight training and cardio. I you want to get it all over with in 1 day, I suggest 20-30 minutes weight training and 20-30 minutes cardio. Start off with a 5 minute warm up. If you are working out 3 times week focus on your upper body the first day, lower the second, and compound movements the 3rd (both upper and lower together). If you have never lifted weights before, start with the weight machines at the gym. They help you stabilize your movement and target the exact muscles you want to tone. Once you feel stronger and more comfortable at the gym, move to free weights to get an even better workout. For your cardio, interval training really increases your heart rate which will help your body metabolize and burn calories more efficiently. What ever cardio machine you use, go at a steady rate for 1 minute then pick the pass up until it is uncomfortable for 30 seconds, repeat the cycle for 10-20 minutes and end with a 5 minute cool down.

Good luck in the gym!

• My life seriously changed (for the better!) when I started weight training.

The main resource I'd suggest is the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women.  It's got 6 months worth of weight lifting programs and a TON of information.  Another, sort of similar (but maybe less intimidating) set of programs are those found in the book The Female Body Breakthrough.  It's only about 4 months of programs, but once you work your way through it you can mix them all up and do whichever you like. 
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards