Snarky Brides

Family and Friends.. God Love 'Em

I'm on here today laughing at 4-months-ago me who first came on The Knot all shiny and new to wedding planning. I was shocked at how many people on here came to complain about their friends and relatives doing something nuts and I naively thought to myself "wow, I'm glad my friends and family aren't like that"

Ha.

Fiance's cousin thinks he's a groomsman. He thinks this despite never having a single conversation with my fiance about the wedding or the wedding party. He came out of left field at Easter dinner asking "So, who are the other groomsmen?". Fiance bean dipped at the time, but there will probably be some fall out coming.

Fiance and I specifically picked the hotel we did because it has an included brunch for all hotel guests. We figured that if we let people know we'd be down there in the morning they could come by and get breakfast at their leisure and we'd get some extra time with our OOT guests. If they chose to do something else with their morning that's fine too. Now, my mom wants to host a brunch for just her side of the family somewhere else. This will force me to choose which guests to spend time with and will force some guests to choose whether to go to my mom's brunch or the hotel one. Potential cluster, but I'm still hoping to gently talk her out of it.

My FIL's agreed to cut down on the relatives they'd like us to invite to the wedding by hosting a Family Reunion over the summer so I can meet some of Fiance's more distant relatives. We agreed on the grounds that it be an Family Reunion that we attend, we are in no way guests of honor, it should not resemble a wedding reception... so far fiance has had to talk them out of a band and a caterer.

I guess weddings really do bring out the crazy.

imageimage

Re: Family and Friends.. God Love 'Em

• Yep, they really do.

Also, I would tell you mom, 'Mom, you're more than welcome to host a morning-after brunch if you wish, but please be advised that DH and I will not be attending. Why? Oh, that's right, because we ALREADY PLANNED ONE OF OUR OWN. If you want to have one anyway, go right ahead, but we won't be there.'

As for the cousin, your FI needs to have that conversation sooner rather than later. There's a thread on E about someone who didn't correct a friend's mis-conception she's a BM and now it's really too late to do that without looking like she's kicking the (now-pregnant) BM out of the wedding. It's going to be painful for your FI's cousin, but that's what you get when you assume.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • My sister said "Great. Now I have to be a bridesmaid." in her usual I hate the world whine.

I really liked going "You are getting nowhere near the wedding party."

My aunt thinks I was rude.

Yup. I was. I don't care. So Auntie, how's the bean dip.
  • My sister said "Great. Now I have to be a bridesmaid." in her usual I hate the world whine. I really liked going "You are getting nowhere near the wedding party." My aunt thinks I was rude. Yup. I was. I don't care. So Auntie, how's the bean dip.
    You are a treasure!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards