Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Someone didn't stop here first...

I was just talking with my secretary about a wedding that she attended this weekend (a relative of hers).

Guests were told to arrive at 10:30 a.m. for the ceremony.  The bride and groom didn't arrive at the ceremony location until noon.

Reception was at a local state park camp ground.  Secretary and her husband got there around 1:30, with the food that they had agreed to bring (potluck?).  Bride and groom arrived shortly thereafter.  The groom then left to "go get the food" and didn't return with it until 4 p.m.  No other food was provided by the couple in the mean time.  Secretary started feeding guests the food she brought, but had to sneak it to them because they weren't supposed to be eating until all the food got there.

Secretary leaves at about 7.  Groom mentions to her as they were leaving that they "just figured everybody would be partying" at the park, where no alcohol or other refreshments or snacks were provided by the couple.  Someone brought a 6 pack of beer. 

Bride and groom then invite themselves over to Secretary's house the next day (which is still a mess from her cooking food for their reception).

I suggested she should have told them that they would have to wait outside.

Gaps, lack of food, very late start time, no refreshments, no entertainment... this sounds like the biggest clusterf---- of a wedding ever.

Re: Someone didn't stop here first...

• Options
    Bad, bad, bad.
  • Options
    Wow that's bad.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am shocked she stayed until 7!
    Anniversary

• Options
    She stayed until 7pm??!?!? I would have left by 2 when I realized that food was not imminent. SMH.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    This couple asks their guests to bring potluck, keeps them waiting around with no food or refreshments for 4 hours, then invite themselves to one of the guests' homes the next day? 

Clusterf doesn't even begin to describe that mess.

• Options
    Wow. I would not be friends with these people any more.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    @HisGirlFriday13, I agree.  If your ceremony starts 90 minutes after you say it will, I won't be there for it. I'll wait around for a while, but at the hour mark, if someone hasn't at least explained the delay (and a good reason for it), I'm going to assume you changed your mind at the last minute and called the wedding off and I am out of there.
  • Options
    Wow that's crazy. This is one of the insane wedding horror stories I only hear on TK. I've never even heard or experienced anything half that bad in real life. Yikes.
    imageimage">
  • Options
    melbensomelbenso member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2014
    I think she felt obligated to stay because she was the only one there with food for the other guests.

EDT: She also said, she assumed "go get the food" meant he'd be back in half an hour or so.  Apparently, his mom was still cooking food for their potluck reception because she was afraid there wouldn't be enough.
  • Options
    I don't even understand how they would think that's a good idea.  
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • Options
    You have got to be shitting me. Dude disappeared for two and a half hours and brings basically nothing? WHAT?????

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Good Lord! Well there's one for the "worst weddings" thread!
  • Options
    Oh my goodness. Worst ever! Gross!

image   image   image

• Options
    I probably would have left, with my food, at 11am once I realized that the ceremony wasn't set to start until noon.

• Options
    I'm with the other ladies. I wouldn't have made it to the ceremony, and sure as hell wouldn't have made it past the groom leaving to get food.  This goes way beyond simple rudeness and hits square into absolute idiot territory.
  • Options
    Wow, that is really bad!
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Is it bad I'm side-eyeing the secretary right now?   I would have lasted until about 11:15 then I would have left.  No way in hell would I have been there until 7pm.   
    No I am totally side eyeing the secretary too. At somepoint you just have to say fuck it these people are rude as hell. Maybe leave the food if you are really nice.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Is it bad I'm side-eyeing the secretary right now?   I would have lasted until about 11:15 then I would have left.  No way in hell would I have been there until 7pm.   
    It was her niece's wedding.  And her niece's husband and his family are from a foreign country. I think she chalked some of it up to cultural differences and just tried to make the best of it.

I'm honestly amazed everyone stuck around that late.  If I treated my guests that way, I would expect that they'd all be gone when I got back with the food.
  • Options
    melbenso said:
    lyndausvi said:
    It was her niece's wedding.  And her niece's husband and his family are from a foreign country. I think she chalked some of it up to cultural differences and just tried to make the best of it.

I'm honestly amazed everyone stuck around that late.  If I treated my guests that way, I would expect that they'd all be gone when I got back with the food.
    Okay, then I would have stayed for the ceremony and then skidaddled.  And it makes it worse when a family member treats you like crap.  I am guessing the niece isn't from a foreign country so that the fact that his family is, isn't an excuse.  They were just idiots and rude.

• Options

OMG, pinkcow13, your gif is hilarious.  I love it!

Back to the original post. I'm curious how many people left the ceremony then, for those who stayed, how many stayed at the reception when no food/drink was forthcoming.

I wouldn't have done any of that, even for close family and friends.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    melbenso said:
    lyndausvi said:

That makes sense

ETA - I should mention my aunts would not have been so nice.  They would have put me in my place even if it was "my day"

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Deal breaker.

• Options
    wait so secretary and mom were the only ones who had food? and how much food did she even bring?.

what a mess i would have left.  you just figured everyone was going to party till late with no food

a huge improperly hosted party

• Options
    Ya... I would have been done after the ceremony didn't start within 30 minutes of the posted time unless a reasonable explanation was given.

EX: I did sit patiently and pleasantly waiting for a friends wedding to start when there was a fatal collision on the road they were taking to the ceremony (thankfully, they were not in it). I understand police/ems have to get people to safety, clean up, and investigate. But waiting around for an hour and a half just because the bride & groom can't show up on time? No way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards