Wedding Reception Forum

Forgetting anything important??

Hello! So we are 28 days away from the big day. We are having a very intimate ceremony, with 30 invited guests. We have the officiant, the flowers, the paperwork, the venue, and most of the decor.  We aren't having a wedding party, with the exception of my brother as the ring bearer, we have his suit and ring box. I still haven't decided on a bouquet (having a really hard time justifying the cost!!). We are having a BBQ at the venue, and my mom and I doing the sides (salad, rice and a cold pasta salad), but I can't help feeling like I'm missing something. Here's a rundown of what we are planning for the day, just need an extra set of eyes to see if I'm missing anything.

Noon: We have access to venue FI starts setting up
1pm: Photographer arrives, starts FI solo/family pics. My mom and myself arrive, finish setting up food, prepping drink stations.
2:30 Pictures should be done, FI and start gearing up for Ceremony
3-3:30 Ceremony
3:30: "Cocktail hour"- finger sandwiches, cookies, drinks and sundae bar all available to guests while FI and take pics together and w/ Families together
4PM: BBQ starts
5pm: Dinner
6pm: Cake
We have the venue til ten.

We aren't planning on having dancing, since it's small and just close family. But we will have music going on the whole time. I just can't help feeling like we aren't having enough. Thoughts are very much appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Forgetting anything important??

• Our venue has a sound system, so we purchased an ipod specifically for this! We have created a playlist but are thinking about one of the apps you can get specifically for the ceremony.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Noon: We have access to venue FI starts setting up  Will an hour be long enough for him or her to set up?  Does your FI need help setting up?  
    1pm: Photographer arrives, starts FI solo/family pics. My mom and myself arrive, finish setting up food, prepping drink stations.  What about you getting ready?  How much time will you need so you are not behind schedule or feel rushed? 
    2:30 Pictures should be done, FI and start gearing up for Ceremony
    3-3:30 Ceremony
    3:30: "Cocktail hour"- finger sandwiches, cookies, drinks and sundae bar all available to guests while FI and take pics together and w/ Families together  That sundae bar sounds awesome, BTW
    4PM: BBQ starts  You mean the food starts cooking?  Or people start eating?
    5pm: Dinner  Is it buffet or being served to the guests?  Will it take a full hour?
    6pm: Cake 
    We have the venue til ten. 

What about toasts, spotlight dances, and/or a grand entrance?  If you are having them, you should probably plan for them.
  • I agree w/ doeydo, the sundae bar sounds awesome. But I'd move it to the reception after dinner. If I had a sundae, I'm not sure I'd be hungry for dinner right after.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I agree w/ doeydo, the sundae bar sounds awesome. But I'd move it to the reception after dinner. If I had a sundae, I'm not sure I'd be hungry for dinner right after.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Dessert before dinner is a good idea in theory, but it doesn't always work, and cake and ice cream are such a great combo!!
  • You may want to allow yourself a little more time to set up & for yourself to get ready. I noticed you didn't list rings
  • For him to start setting up should only take about an hour, decor is pretty minimal just tablecloths and centerpieces which we will be putting together the night before. My MUA is coming to my house at 9am, to start getting me ready so I should have plenty of time, with just putting the dress and accessories on at the venue.  

The sundae bar is my surprise for FI so I have been trying to figure out a way to work it in without him knowing!! I spoke w/ his sister and she thought it sounded like him to do it before dinner, so ideas on how to surprise him and move it closer to caketime would be great!!! We aren't planning on speeches or dances so that's not an issue.

And yes BBQ starts at 4, we will have finger sandwiches, cookies and drinks ready to go all while that's happening.  Yes food is buffet, is an hour too long?

Thanks for all the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards