Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Short or long for bridesmaids?

So, FI and I are disagreeing on this. He says that ultimately, the bridesmaids attire is my decision, but he still wants to give his two cents! My dress is a ball gown with lots of tulle and I intend for it to be pretty puffy. We plan on the groom and groomsmen wearing tuxedos with bowties. Does it matter if the girls were long or short dresses? I say that a short dress would be formal enough (chiffon might be too casual), and he feels that a long dress is the only way everyone will look equally as "formal".

For a man, he has pretty good fashion sense for the most part, and it's his day too so I do value his input. But I like short dresses better to go for a "springy" look, and they're normally cheaper than a long dress and in addition, short dresses are often "re-wearable" where long ones just sit in a closet. I have 3 bridesmaids and they're all people who I love and they love me so even when I ask for honest advice, they just say "whatever you want us to wear is fine" so I don't really know what they prefer. I've found styles in both long and short that I like a lot, so to narrow it down would really help me and my girls!

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Re: Short or long for bridesmaids?

• Options
    What kind of venue are you getting married in?  Time of day?  How formal is your wedding?

Personally, I prefer long bridesmaid dresses, especially if the guys are in tuxes.  Now if they were in suits then short dresses would go well.

What if you did a compromise?  Long dresses but in chiffon?  This way you get the formal feel with the length but a more springy, light feel with the fabric?  And if you went with something like this (CLICK!), depending on the color, your girls could easily have it shorten if they wanted to wear it again.

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What type of venue will the wedding be at? What season and time of day is your wedding?  
    Just from the sounds of it, the groomsmen will be very formal so the bridesmaids "should" be in long gowns to match the formality, IMO.
  • Options
    my girls were in short dresses and our guys were in tuxedo's, and I have been in/been too many weddings with the same "formal attire."  I personally think you can still pull off a formal wedding with girls in short dresses.  Unless you are having a true black tie event the short dress is fine-- majority of your guests will most likely wear a short dress too.  You really can go either way and so if your FI would like them in long and they are in the girls budget, then go for long if that is the look you are going for.  They can always shorten the dress later if they want to re-use it.  I was in a wedding where we wore T-length black dresses (guys were in tuxedo's). I later shortened it and get a lot of use out of it now.    

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone! It's an evening reception in a hotel "ballroom" and church ceremony. So I guess all signs are pointing to a long dress. I appreciate all of the advice! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards