Registry and Gift Forum

Does everyone invited to the wedding have to be invited to the bridal shower?

Hello!
So far my wedding planning has been going pretty smoothly, however we have some issues regarding the bridal shower. So my parents are contributing 100% to the wedding, for which I am very grateful. My fiance does not have a great relationship with his mother so she has only been involved minimally in the planning (one of my bridesmaids is my fiance's eleven year old sister so when it came to picking out her dress, I invited his mother. This is the extent of her involvement and she is fine with that). There will be 120 guests, which includes only family from both sides.
The issue we are having is with the bridal shower, my mother and my sister are hosting the shower and my mother would like to keep the guest list to only our side of the family. This is due to cost and number of people. If she invited everyone, it would be like 50 people and basically be like throwing a small wedding. She is hoping to let his side take care of a shower if they would like to.
I am concerned because I don't expect anyone from his side to host a second shower, I would be absolutly fine with not having a second shower. My only concern is that most people expect there to be a shower and I do not want his extended family, like his aunts and cousins to feel left out or simply thinking that mother did not invited them. Am I overthinking this? Would you be offended if you were invited to the wedding and not the shower? Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?
Thanks for your help!

Re: Does everyone invited to the wedding have to be invited to the bridal shower?

• Not everyone invited to the wedding needs to be invited to the shower. However, out of courtesy, I would invite your fiancé's mom.
  • The shower should only be for the women closet to you, not every woman invited to the shower, but I do agree, at least invite his mother.
  • Nope, other way around - everyone invited to the shower must be invited to the wedding.

• Thanks everyone! We were definitely going to invite his mother and grandmother but not the rest of his extended family.

Also, I was asking if everyone invited to the wedding needs to be invited to the shower. I would never invite someone to the shower who wasn't invited to the wedding!

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Hello!
    So far my wedding planning has been going pretty smoothly, however we have some issues regarding the bridal shower. So my parents are contributing 100% to the wedding, for which I am very grateful. My fiance does not have a great relationship with his mother so she has only been involved minimally in the planning (one of my bridesmaids is my fiance's eleven year old sister so when it came to picking out her dress, I invited his mother. This is the extent of her involvement and she is fine with that). There will be 120 guests, which includes only family from both sides.
    The issue we are having is with the bridal shower, my mother and my sister are hosting the shower and my mother would like to keep the guest list to only our side of the family. This is due to cost and number of people. If she invited everyone, it would be like 50 people and basically be like throwing a small wedding. She is hoping to let his side take care of a shower if they would like to.
    I am concerned because I don't expect anyone from his side to host a second shower, I would be absolutly fine with not having a second shower. My only concern is that most people expect there to be a shower and I do not want his extended family, like his aunts and cousins to feel left out or simply thinking that mother did not invited them. Am I overthinking this? Would you be offended if you were invited to the wedding and not the shower? Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?
    Thanks for your help!
    No but I have been offended to be invited to a shower.  I had no problem with the wedding invite.  It was for a co-worker of DH's.  However, I found the shower invite to be gift grabby because I had only met the bride twice and only spoken to her on one of those occasions.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You definitely do not need to invited everyone invited to the wedding if it is due to cost.  You should invite your FI mother and grandma(s) out of respect.  If you really cannot afford all of the aunts and female cousins it is ok to leave them out.  However, if you can afford, and are close to his extended family it would be best to invite them.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards