Attire & Accessories Forum

Fun Shoes

Is any one else wearing colorful or patterned shoes? I am wearing purple floral print shoes with a touch of blue in them (for my something blue) but all of my family and FMIL and whatnot think it's the craziest idea. I just constantly get...well I guess they don't do weddings the way they used to. Or no one would have ever worn something like that!

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one getting this reaction from more traditional loved ones!

Re: Fun Shoes

• I am also wearing purple shoes. My FMIL was surprised I am not wearing white shoes to match my dress, but she did not have any negative to say about it. In fact, when I explained that I also wanted to be wearing my favourite colour she seemed really supportive. My family was not surprised at all, lol.

If you are wearing a floor length gown your shoes won't be too visible for the most part, so I really don't understand the backlash. Personally, I feel like you can pair any coloured shoe with white.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'm wearing purple shoes and got the same reaction from my mom and fmil.  They just never heard of such a thing! LOL.  My mom was with me at my first fitting when she saw them the first time,and the seamstress assured her she see's it all...every color, everything from sneakers to boots to slippers.  Then my mom went online and started looking at wedding pictures and realized how common it is.
  • I'm thinking of wearing some blue shoes with a cartoon fox on them.
  • I'm wearing blue stain kitten heel peep toe pumps for my something blue.
  • I'm wearing a red dress and red shoes to match! :) it says something about my family that they were unsurprised, though I'm sure I will horrify somebody or other. Go for the gusto! :)
  • You're family is right, weddings are different these days. Now it's ok to add some fun with a cool pair of shoes be it a colorful pair of heels to a pair of converse. It's more acceptable to add a flair of fun to really let your personality show through when you probably still have so much that is very traditional.
  • I think wearing fun shoes is almost a trend in itself. I got these and I love them. I totally want to see other people's awesome shoes too!
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm wearing aqua shoes... didn't want the bridesmaids to be the only ones wearing my favorite color to my wedding! Honestly I've known some brides whose BIGGEST stress was finding just exactly the right wedding shoes because they wanted them to match the shade of their dress perfectly (plus all the other criteria of the type and height of heel, open or closed, yadda yadda). This was SO much easier. I had actually bought the shoes before I even went dress shopping. Why put yourself through that much grief?

• I've become low-key obsessed with these, so I'm probably going to wear them for my ceremony/pictures. Unless I cave and save up for some red bottoms.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    Unless I cave and save up for some red bottoms.
    That was my original plan, but as we are getting married on grass I'd prefer to wear flats (and no way am I spending $400 on flats!).
  • If I was doing outdoor ANYTHING, I'd be getting some little oxfords or something and calling it a day. I already know I'm going to have some kind of comfier shoes for the reception.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

Strongly consdering these.
  • Those are festive as fuck. I love them, NAY, COVET THEM.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My shoes are navy blue patent leather pumps - for my something blue.  My family is fine with it but the DSW salesperson acted a little dismayed at the idea as did a friend of mine.
    Anniversary
  • Good thing DSW is neither invited nor solicited for their opinion. They got your coin, they can mosey.

Also, tell your friend your friend that their opinion changed your mind, and you got white shoes for the wedding.

Problem solved.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I have no clue what the shoes will look like, but I am leaning towards having my shoes be my something blue. FI's step daughter from his first marriage was talking to me about it and was so confused because she didn't think my shoes would match. I had to explain that white kinda matches everything!
  • These are the shoes! Luckily my MOH loves them! I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • beethery said:
    Those are festive as fuck. I love them, NAY, COVET THEM
    Heels.com under Ironfist for the brand. Also far warning, go on the site and you might not be able to achieve other goals for your day. 

I told FI "I'm considering white shoes for the wedding" and she looked at me like I'd gotten a lobotomy while she was away and then I showed her and she went "Ah yes, that makes sense now". 
  • Oooooh I know IronFist! Definitely will have to re-peruse them on payday.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Here are mine. I tried on a couple of tea length dresses that showed them off ( wound up going with a gown) and all the sales associates stopped to say how cute they were. Gotta wear some of my favorite color!
  • Here are picutes of my shoes. I wanted a darker shade of purple, but it was really hard to find any shade of purple when I went shopping. I think it will be okay, they are really pretty and I will definitively wear them again after the wedding.
  • I designed mine on ShoesofPrey.com

They are light red leather (almost pink or coral imo), covered with ivory lace, with the insole in a turquoise leather. 

I <3 them so much. Plus, I have super wide feet and them come in XX-wide.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • My mom had a mini freak out at first too when she heard I bought dark grey satin heels. She was all "but your wedding shoes need to be white!" And I said well I like these better in grey than white.

She finally saw them and she got all emotional saying they were beautiful and apologized for saying I need to get white.

In the end your mom should respect your decision even if she doesn't agree with it!

image   image   image

• alafkyalafky member
    First Comment
    I am looking for purple heels and cant find ANYTHING I like, any suggestions on websites to check out?
  • TheMoezTheMoez member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    These are the shoes I am wearing! 
  • @beethery‌ I love everything you say, because I picture Nene every time!
  • I just had this conversation with a colleague today! She said when she got married it was uncommon for people to wear anything other than white shoes. Her niece wore red heels. I'll be wearing purple flats with my dress!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Also wearing purple shoes. My friend and I died these wedges for the ceremony and I have ballet flats to change into if my feet start to hurt.  All my bridesmaids are also wearing purple shoes.  We'll probably do a fun photo showing them off!
  • FI and I are both huge book nerds and we're having a book-themed wedding.  I found on Pinterest (glorious Pinterest) a cool way to modge-podge comic book pages to your shoes.  Instead of comics, though, I'm using pages from some old about-to-be-trashed books.  Thinking about adding some orange sparkle to the inside of the heel for fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards