Attire & Accessories Forum

Sick of Matchy-Matchy... thoughts on NOT having bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen ties match...

Okay ladies...  I'm currently 'negotiating' with my fiance about the traditional "Matchy-Matchy" look for our bridal party.  I personally HATE - okay... I don't hate anything.... STRONGLY DISLIKE.....  having the ties/vests you name it match the bridesmaid dress colour.  
I'm looking for photo ideas or anything else to share with my groom-to-be to help show him the light ;).  
I just think given our laid back cake and punch reception its too formal and forced....
I'd rather have the girls in their dresses.. and they guys in neutral complimentary colour suits/ties.  

THOUGHTS?!

Re: Sick of Matchy-Matchy... thoughts on NOT having bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen ties match...

• Lots of people do this. My sister had girls in blue and guys in green to tie her two colors together. I've also seen a lot of striped ties bringing in the BM color with other colors. And WPs in tuxes typically have black ties, so that's usually not matchy matchy.

• Below are some pictures of WPs with groomsmen who do not match the bridesmaids:
    barr-mansion-wedding-38
  • We didn't have a matchy matchy bridal party either. My bridesmaids wore blush dresses (all different) and the guys didn't wear vests. They wore grey suits and silver ties... Not a stitch of blush on the guys. I think they looked great together! What united them were the flowers; white roses for bouquets and bouts.
  • What about if instead of having the GM's accessories match the BM dress colors, their accessories matched one of your other wedding colors (assuming you have more than just the one, of course)? I think either that, or any complimentary color works well.  
  • Here's an example of what I'm referring to.  In this one the bridesmaids have mismatched dresses, which is nice and laid-back, but this could work even with matching dresses
  • My girls are all wearing the same dress in different shades of purple. Guys are wearing patterned ties that are grey with purple. I liked that better than each one matching one dress color. I think it will look awesome.
  • My girls are all wearing royal blue dresses with a chunky red necklace, and the guys are in black tuxes with red ties. I think they look great together.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I'm not matching the GM with the bridesmaids' colors either - they are too bright for my liking with the men's tuxes.

• We aren't having our bridesmaids and groomsmen match.  Our female attendants (on both sides) will be wearing blue and our male attendants (on both sides) will have brown vests and ties (no jackets because we are having an outdoor summer wedding and don't want them to be too hot).  The shades/colors are complimentary, but not matching.

It's your wedding.  You and your FI should do whatever you like best.  In our case, I picked the color for the female attendants and he picked the color for the male attendants.
  • We hate the matching look too. I think colored vests and ties scream prom. My bridesmaids are wearing navy cotton knee length dresses and our groomsmen are wearing this- see picture. The groom is also wearing this (no jackets on anyone).

• Thanks ladies for all the lovely support, ideas and pictures!! I will share with my FI :D 
  • Hi Arosboro, 
    My bridesmaids are wearing same color and fabric dress (placid blue, silk chiffon) knee length but all different styles and the groomsmen will be all in slim-fit, dark grey, 3-piece-suits with plum ties with pale blue tiny pattern. The bridesmaids bouquets will be plum-purple-blue and the guys buttonholes will recall the bouquets. Maybe a little bit matchy-matchy but not too much! 
    True we all want to have a cool-looking wedding party but for me its important to keep it balanced if you don't want to have an under-dressed looking wedding party neither, then again it all depends what type of ceremony you're having, I personally don't think you have to match them but it's good to see a bit of consistency in your team, you can do it in a subtle way. I assume you have more than one color. Good luck! X
  • I told my 3 bridesmaids to wear black dresses either around knee length or even tea length, just not floor because my dress isn't super formal and I didn't want their dress to upstage mine. I hated the idea of asking them to buy a dress they might never wear again. They're "matchy" because they're wearing black but will be able to go by their own style and body types, as well as their own accessories and shoes. For the groomsman, we told them to wear black suits and a white shirt and I picked out ties in different patterns of our wedding colors (it's a very loose theme as the decorations are minimal). We are using gray, yellow, and white. So some of the ties are gray, some are yellow, some are both. There's plaid, there's stripes there's solid. So, they don't match, but they still have a somewhat overall united theme. And if it isn't super formal, just skip vests. I think it's important to have a little something cohesive because it will look nicer in pics, but agree that the super matchy matchy is just annoying. 

• Im with you on the whole not matchy-matchy thing. This picture is my inspiration. The colors are about the same, just different shades, and heck I am not even too picky on the shades as long as they are some sort of shade of coral, yellow and turquoise-ish.

• I'm doing bridesmaids skirts instead of dresses. They'll all buy the same skirt for around $70. Then, they can style it with whatever white blouse, and red shoes that they wNt. I'm really excited about it.
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    A dark suit/khaki/grey or black tux (but sounds a little too formal?) matches EVERYTHING.  It's timeless and looks great on all men.  Pink/teal/whatever cummerbunds/vests/ties look like prom.
  • ShellD13ShellD13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    We are doing a small casual wedding my BM's (Stepdaughter and Foster Daughter) are wearing coral dresses with nude shoes and the guys are wearing Navy Blue Camp Shirts with Khakis.  I've pulled the blue in with the flowers that are in the girl's corsages.  This was one of my inspirations....  FI just didn't care for the light blue so we opted for Navy instead.

Anniversary
  • My girls are all wearing the same dress in different styles. I chose a Von Vonni transformer dress when it was on sale at ideeli.com and my girls all got it for $60 instead of $188! It's casual and practical. They all get to chose how they want to wear the dress. As for not matching, our girls are all wearing their own cowboy boots, their own hair choice and own style choice for the dress. The men will be wearing their own boots, matching dark wash levis, white button up shirts, western vests and different cowboy hats (no ties or jackets). There is some matching, but it's casual enough to not be so annoying. 
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    My girls are all wearing the same dress in different styles. I chose a Von Vonni transformer dress when it was on sale at ideeli.com and my girls all got it for $60 instead of $188! It's casual and practical. They all get to chose how they want to wear the dress. As for not matching, our girls are all wearing their own cowboy boots, their own hair choice and own style choice for the dress. The men will be wearing their own boots, matching dark wash levis, white button up shirts, western vests and different cowboy hats (no ties or jackets). There is some matching, but it's casual enough to not be so annoying. 
    Ack!!! Tell your girls to play with the dresses NOW and to have tons of safety pins on hand for the day of. These dresses are a nightmare. They show every lump, never stay in place, and are a boob slip waiting to happen. Look up reviews on them. The infinity/transformer dresses that fit are a myth.

ETA: Better yet, if they can return them in time, have them do so. You can get fantastic little dresses for $60. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards