Wedding Woes
Options

Postponed the wedding. . .

I am livid, devastated and humiliated.  This seems like a good forum to serve as a sounding board!

My fiance and I postponed our wedding.

In a nutshell, his parents - specifically his mother - convinced him to do it.  I really feel compelled to go along with this decision.

Here's some back story.  Advice would be appreciated please.

We got engaged in November on the beach in San Diego at sunset.  I decided it would be fabulous to get married also on the beach at sunset in San Diego!  My fiance agreed.  We come to San Diego with his family every year for Thanksgiving, so I suggested we do it this year in November.  He vehemently stated that he didn't want to wait that long when I suggested it.  So we planned a San Diego wedding in July of this year.

We are Catholic.  I have been married before and divorced.  That marriage has not been annulled in the catholic church yet.  I have just not started the process.  All along this has been openly communicated to my fiance and he has been fine with getting married by an officiant, while working on the annulment.  Then the plan was to get our marriage blessed by the church after we are married and my annulment has gone through.  

His parents have known that we are getting married in San Diego in July for months!!!  

We sent out Save the Date cards last week.  We were working actively to secure a very large beach house to hold our wedding and small gathering afterward/reception.  Very casual, elegant, intimate.  We only invited parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts/uncles.

His parents "had questions" yesterday, so he went to their house to discuss these questions.  I did not go; I really did not see any of this coming.  However, he said last evening that his parents suggested we postpone the wedding untill after I got my annullment from the Catholic church for my first marriage.  I initially blew that off; I said "well that ship has sailed.  If they had reservations, they should have voiced those months ago."  However, then my fiance went into a barrage of reservations about holding the wedding in July, suggesting we hold it in November!  I suggested that at the beginning, and he did not want to.  But now it's a good idea because his parents suggest it?!  Also, he pointed out that he suddenly feels "weird" about having a non-Catholic officiant do our ceremony.

In the end, I agreed to postpone the wedding, mainly because all the joy has been sucked out of it because of these reservations of his, and frankly because of his parents' meddling.

Re: Postponed the wedding. . .

• Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you...that sucks it really does and you didn't do anything wrong.  I think it makes sense why you agreed to postpone - even though planning a wedding can get stressful it still should be joyful. If I were you I would use this time to discuss things with him, and figure out exactly what you and him both want. It mostly sounds like he changed his mind about the wedding details, with the help of his parents. But I think once you get the annulment and church ceremony sorted things will become smoother.
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback.  I couldn't agree with you more on all counts.
  • Options
    I am livid, devastated and humiliated.  This seems like a good forum to serve as a sounding board!

My fiance and I postponed our wedding.

In a nutshell, his parents - specifically his mother - convinced him to do it.  I really feel compelled to go along with this decision.

Here's some back story.  Advice would be appreciated please.

We got engaged in November on the beach in San Diego at sunset.  I decided it would be fabulous to get married also on the beach at sunset in San Diego!  My fiance agreed.  We come to San Diego with his family every year for Thanksgiving, so I suggested we do it this year in November.  He vehemently stated that he didn't want to wait that long when I suggested it.  So we planned a San Diego wedding in July of this year.

We are Catholic.  I have been married before and divorced.  That marriage has not been annulled in the catholic church yet.  I have just not started the process.  All along this has been openly communicated to my fiance and he has been fine with getting married by an officiant, while working on the annulment.  Then the plan was to get our marriage blessed by the church after we are married and my annulment has gone through.  

His parents have known that we are getting married in San Diego in July for months!!!  

We sent out Save the Date cards last week.  We were working actively to secure a very large beach house to hold our wedding and small gathering afterward/reception.  Very casual, elegant, intimate.  We only invited parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts/uncles.

His parents "had questions" yesterday, so he went to their house to discuss these questions.  I did not go; I really did not see any of this coming.  However, he said last evening that his parents suggested we postpone the wedding untill after I got my annullment from the Catholic church for my first marriage.  I initially blew that off; I said "well that ship has sailed.  If they had reservations, they should have voiced those months ago."  However, then my fiance went into a barrage of reservations about holding the wedding in July, suggesting we hold it in November!  I suggested that at the beginning, and he did not want to.  But now it's a good idea because his parents suggest it?!  Also, he pointed out that he suddenly feels "weird" about having a non-Catholic officiant do our ceremony.

In the end, I agreed to postpone the wedding, mainly because all the joy has been sucked out of it because of these reservations of his, and frankly because of his parents' meddling.

I think you have a Fi problem.  He's taking his parents' side over yours.  Your wedding date is for you and your Fi to decide, not his parents.  You didn't see this coming because you weren't involved in the decision!

You and your Fi need to sit down and decide what the two of you really want.  And whether you can handle being with a man who puts his parents before his wife.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback.  I couldn't agree with you more on all counts.
    i like how you chose to ignore all of the useful feedback on your duplicate post. 

good luck living your life according to your ILs' whims. 
  • Options
    Whoa didn't notice there was a second post-- are you going to respond to everyone else, OP?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I"m honestly not surprised that there was a last minute "change of heart". Usually that sort of stuff comes out closer to the wedding than before because it is more 'real' to everyone. I would have a sit-down with your FI and say tell me what you really want? If he really wants to get married in the catholic church, then wait until your marriage is annulled under the churches guidelines. Honestly parents influence their children too much and need to take a step back. If you can get the marriage annulled by your date they do so and get married in the church. Bottom line at this point it really does not matter what he said before. The wedding is close now and he changed his mind (not defending him) and things happen. If he really want to get married he will be decisive and set a date and give you his expectations of the wedding ASAP.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     If you can get the marriage annulled by your date they do so and get married in the church.
    Getting an annulment isn't just a matter of filling out a few forms and being done in a few days. Usually it takes several months and those needing an annulment are frequently encouraged not to set a date for a wedding until the annulment is final.
  • Options
    You're right: our priest told us 12 - 18 months.  It is an ugly, painful process that dredges up the past.  Definitely worth it in the long run, however.
  • Options
    " If he really want to get married he will be decisive and set a date and give you his expectations of the wedding ASAP."

True that.  Where it is standing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards