May 2014 Weddings
Options

Are you keeping the top tier of your cake?

So we are keeping the top tier of our cake and freezing it for our one year anniversary mostly because we are only having 35 guests and I wanted a big cake so we are going to have a ton of cake left. I'm a little hesitant about eating year old cake though.

Are you guys freezing your top tier or are you doing something different?

Re: Are you keeping the top tier of your cake?

• Options
    Not saving the cake here. But I did order two bottles of champagne, one to drink at the reception and one to save for our one year anniversary. 
  • Options
    That's really cute. We actually made full size bottles of wine as the favors for our wedding and we have extras so I thought we could have cake and a bottle of our wine on our anniversary. Hopefully we don't drink all the extra wine by then. LOL
  • Options
    I actually haven't thought about this!  I assume we'll freeze it.  What better way to say Happy 1 year Anniversary then will stale cake?!?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Freezer burnt cake...ewww
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I haven't given it any thought, but no, don' think we'd freeze it.   My freezer is jam packed already (including our extra freezer!)
  • Options
    dluberts said:
    Freezer burnt cake...ewww
    That's what I'm concerned with! The baker actually includes a box and wrapping with instructions for the venue and she says it keeps it from getting freezer burnt. Oh well, I guess the worst that could happen is the cake is gross. LOL
  • Options
    I have 3 different flavors of cake. I want to try them all so It wouldnt work for us to save ours any way. Its already going to be eaten out of.
  • Options
    Yeah we did two different flavors and then we made the top tier the same as the bottom tier so we wouldn't miss out on any flavors. The top tier is FI's favorite flavor anyways though so whether it's freezer burnt or not I will only probably only eat a little bit.
  • Options
    ddvirtsddvirts member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    We have no room in our freezer. I don't think I would want to eat a year old cake anyway.
  • Options
    windiewindie member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary

I've heard of bakers providing a NEW cake for the 1 year anniversary because of freezer burned cake is just gross.

We are not doing cake (having cookies instead!) so didn't have to worry about this one.

• Options
    00kim0000kim00 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    Yep, we're freezing it. We're actually having Costco sheet cake for our cake, but I'm turning the sheet cakes into a 4 tiered cake for the sole purpose of having a to tier to save for the anniversary
  • Options
    Our baker gives us a free small cake for our 1 year! 
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    we're just going to order a new small cake for our anniversary.  we don't have room in our freezer to begin with, and we're planning to move in the next year - i don't want to deal with moving a delicate frozen cake.  also, we have 3 flavors of cake for the wedding, and i'd like to eat them all before deciding which one i want to eat on my anniversary...so this way i can special order my favorite one in a year.  :-)
  • Options
    I'm actually pretty excited about this. Our bakery does a free one year anniversary cake :) so we just have to call them a few days before our one year and they will pull up what we had made and make a smaller version for us. yay cake!
  • Options
    Yup! Actually just packaged up our cake the other night (see photo). I found this post about a way to wrap up the cake so that it doesn't get much freezer burn: http://www.weddingbee.com/2010/05/07/how-to-freeze-your-wedding-cake/#.UHBnP1cIFcI.pinterest
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm undecided on this.  We don't have a very large freezer, and while I'm sure FI parents would be more than happy to hold onto it for us, I'm not too keen on eating year old cake.  Plus we are having only one small 6" cake for us to cut, and then the rest will be cupcakes.  So I may just have our baker make a new cake at the one year anniversary. :)  That sounds like a much better plan. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    KayDeeeKayDeee member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I wish we could, but definitely no room in the freezer for us.
  • Options
    I plan on having a little replica cake made from the same bakery for our anniversary :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Options
    We don't have room in the freezer, either. Plus our cake has 4 tiers, each with a different flavor, and I want to try them all. And plus we are having a get-together at my parents' house the day after the wedding so we will probably offer leftover cake then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards