Wedding Woes
Options

Randoms - "Ugh" edition

1. I bought a Sam's Club membership from Zulily.  We'd been considering it for over a year and when I saw the deal we decided to finally try it.  Ugh.  I haven't even been there yet and I'm already dreading shopping there.  At least it's not an "every week" place.

2.  Son needs braces.  We've known this for a while.  He had a dentist appointment Tuesday and it was confirmed that he is now ready.  Ugh.

3.  I planned Son's birthday party for the only weekend we are free from baseball (according to the schedules we have) and found out this morning that the tournament I thought started on a Monday actually starts the Saturday before.  And we'll probably have a BYE on Saturday since we're one of the better teams.  Which means we will probably play on the Sunday that I have scheduled the party.  Ugh.  (We can always do a double party for Son and DD2 in July when we have her party, but I hate the thought of it.  I know they probably won't care but I'd feel bad that they'd have to share the day)

Re: Randoms - "Ugh" edition

• Options
    1.  Sam's isn't so bad.  We usually end up going on a weekend day, but just mentally prepare ourselvse.  Samples do help.  Midweek, it's usually not so bad.  We go about once a month or so.  

2.  I'm there with you.  I feel your pain. 

3.  Ugh.  Suck.  But if they don't mind, it won't be so bad.  

Side-Ugh...Have you heard from Son's mom at all or did she drop off the Earth? 
  • Options
    We haven't heard from her since right before DD2 was born, and she'll be 3 in July.  I only know she's still alive because she keeps an open fb.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

1. Sam's never bothered us.  I think we'd go back if it were more convenient.  I actually like their early hours better.  Costco opening at 10 drives me bonkers.

2. Ugh.  I hope my kids get my straight teeth and DH's eyes.

3. That sucks.  My nieces share a family party every year and seem cool with it.  I think it bothers the third sister more because she feels a little left out.

4. Huge ugh to egg donor.  She's clearly missing out.  Then again maybe it's best for you all so no ugh.

• Options
    I like to think so, 6.  He doesn't ever talk about her and we're pretty sure he understands that she'd be no good for him.  We're always going to be right there if he needs to talk or if he wants to go talk to someone, but for now I think he's happy to forget her.
  • Options
    I'm curious why Son is still having birthday parties at 13? 14?  (I guess i just generally think of them as a "kid" thing - I don't think i attended a birthday party - other than a milestone birthday - since I was 6 or so.) My parents used to take us out for dinner/activity and let us pick the place. 

• Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I still have birthday parties and I'm 38.  I think it varies by family.  And whether or not your family likes you and wants to party with you.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member

MIL is turning 66 and having a party Saturday. 

If he wants one so be it. 

• Options
    We've always done birthday parties on my side, both my mom and dad's sides.  It's a day where our entire family - our parents and siblings and their kids, my grandparents and aunts/cousins all come hang out with us.  We all like each other and don't dread being around one another.

Of course things come up - vacations, activities, etc.  But we wouldn't prefer to sit at home vs. hanging out with our family.
  • Options
    Also, Barbie, at 13, Son is still a "kid".
  • Options
    I had a (friend) party for 21, and DK threw me a surprise "party" last year for 30 (dinner at my favorite restaurant with our local friends). 

it probably depends on how you define "party" 
  • Options
    It's not so 'ugh' to not have to deal with her.  It's probably better that she's not trying to linger.  I'm glad Son seems not too affected by her not being around. It's too bad for her, and somewhat for Son, that she could not get her shit together to be present.  But not having the back and forth or having to take her into account is the best thing.  I have quite a few friends who are stepparents and have the shared custody thing (50/50 is getting more and more common) and it can be a nightmare to do anything/make changes/live life. 

The kiddo still has bday parties.  We usually do something for him with his friends.  My family does 'December' brithdays, because we have 3 and we'll usually get together with the IL's on or around his actually bday. 

• Options

The kiddo still has bday parties.  We usually do something for him with his friends. 
    like what? I think that's what i'm not understanding. 

I hear birthday party and I think chuck e cheese/bounce house/pool party/games/pinatas/cake/junk food/insane children/sleepover/singing happy birthday with a big group. I can't recall any of my friends doing anything like that past like 3rd or 4th grade.

If anything it was usually the parents would pay for a few friends to go to the movies/ice skating/roller rink/amusement park/etc. - but it was never a big production with cake and singing and a dedicated "party area".

Other than my parents and one Aunt/Uncle/2 cousins, we had no local family so there was never any big family event. 

• Options
    We'll take the kiddo and a few friends to the movies/laser tag/skyzone and then have them spend the night and order pizza or whatever. This last year he had two or three friends spend the night and they went ice skaing (to cruise for chicks, I'm not dumb... ;)) and then came back to the house to watch scary movies and eat junk food and stay up too late.  

I mean, we don't go to great lengths or rent a 'party' area or anything (because that shit is a total rip), but we let him do something with friends to celebrate. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member

Our family birthday parties are food, maybe a piñata and some games, cake and singing.  We've done it up until my niece was 16. She's the oldest and decided she was done. If my kids want to get everyone together until 20 I don't care.

I know the nieces and nephews get their friends together separately.  Sometimes it's a pool party or a sledding party or a sleepover or whatever.  6let sort of asked to go to a party place with friends this year, but when I said he wouldn't get anything else from us or have a cousin party he changed his mind.

• Options
    pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited May 2014
    We did friend parties with all 3 kids up to around 16.  Still have a family(with random friends too) party with cake every year and the oldest will be 28 in a few weeks.
  • Options
    For family parties, I make lunch (for the girls we grill out but Son prefers a taco bar) and we do cake and ice cream.

DH's parents and his brother and family are local.  My grandparents are 35 minutes away and the rest of my family lives 90 minutes away.

For the last 3 years, son has had a sleepover with his friends instead of going out to do something like mini golf.
  • Options
    0Face0Face member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    We still have parties for siblings and ILs with my parents.  We get together at the birthday person's choice (home or out) and have cake and ice cream later with singing and cards/presents if people got them.  It's not crazy, but its something letting that person know you remember and want them to enjoy themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards