Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Recc's for updos for extremely fine/sort of but not really thin hair?

I'm researching styles for my wedding day hair and I'm really struggling. My hair has extremely fine texture and therefore tends to fall flat or just look slicked against my head whenever I have it styled into some sort of formal up-do or half up-do...and I don't think it would hold a style very well if I just wore it loose on my wedding day. My hair has a slight natural wave if I let it air dry but if I blow dry it blows straight and curls up naturally at the ends with extremely minimal styling. For those of you with thin or fine (or both!) hair what did you do to help alleviate this problem? My hair is longish...my longest layers are mid-back and it grows out quickly. I don't want to wear a veil so I've been looking at styles with headpieces instead. Did anyone get extensions to add volume rather than length to their hair? I just want it to look full and frame my face nicely and I'm worried I won't be able to pull off any of the styles I like with the hair that I have. I think my biggest worry with an up-do is I just don't have enough volume in my hair to create a very full/big looking bun like in the pictures below...regardless of how much back-combing or hair spray my stylist uses.

These are some of my favorites:

All down - just styled

Half-up do

Up-do
imageimage

Re: Recc's for updos for extremely fine/sort of but not really thin hair?

• Options
    I have hair kind of like yours, so I went with a updo that tucked it all back in a braid, as shown. I think your best bet is to talk to your hairdresser and get their advice.
  • Options
    I have super fine, thin hair as well :(. I'll be having extensions to have a half up/half down up do. when I figure out how to get my photos from my phone to my ipad, I'll post what I like for mine.from what my stylist told me, it takes lots of gunk, lots of back combing, and prayer to keep it up. (Not really the prayer, but sometimes it feels like it!)
  • Options
    My hair kinda like yours - it's not fine, but silky, so it doesn't hold a curl very well. I want something along the lines of picture #3 for my wedding next year, so I've just been growing and growing and growing my hair in hopes that by having alot of it, I can achieve the style I want. My mom also suggested extensions just for volume purposes, so if you talk to your hairdresser, be sure to post here and let me know what they think!!!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

@Llikotdesserd I'm seriously considering buying clip-in extensions right now. There are like 5 Sally's Beauty Supply stores within 10 miles of me so I'm going to check them out and see if I can find a decent color match. My coworker's daughter used extensions for her wedding hairstyle and she's supposed to let me know what company she got them from too. I really like the last two up-dos asd well but I just don't think I have enough natural body to achieve the same look. Why is hair so frustrating???

So far from what I've read (and after talking to my salon today) you need to look for natural hair and not synthetic. Synthetic won't curl or hold a style well...it pretty much comes as is. They also advised being able to view the hair samples in person and hold it up to your hair in natural lighting (not florescent) in order to determine how close a match it is. The salon also recommended bringing along a friend when you shop to get a second opinion.

• Options
    Love all of them especially half up and up do

• Options
    I have fine hair as well. As a BM, i've always put it up. Part, pinned in the back, some loose hairs in the front so it isn't tight. I've never had a 'do fall out.  They put a LOT of pins in there. I would love to have my hair down or half up/down but I'm afraid my hair won't hold the curl either.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I had my hair trial this weekend! I ended up purchasing extensions from Bellamy and they worked wonderfully! They're too long so my hair stylist is going to trim them by about 3 or 4 inches but otherwise they blended perfectly with my natural hair and added a lot of necessary volume.

• Options
    Your hair looks wonderful!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards