Offbeat Weddings
Options

Long dress for a restaurant wedding?

We will be having our ceremony and dinner reception at a restaurant...not the usual reception, just a nice dinner at a nice restaurant who does lots of small weddings.  It's only going to be about 30 people.  I've been struggling with whether to wear a short dress or long dress.  I'm going dress shopping for the first time Wednesday so I guess I'll see how I feel once I try some things on, but in general, I just keep thinking I will feel too dressed up if I go with a longer dress.  Now, the longer dress I would get would be an informal gown, or even a bridesmaid dress, not a full on ball gown or anything.  Definitely no train.  So I just feel I might seem too formal if I do a longer dress?  FI said he always envisioned it being a long dress.  My mom seems to want to see me in a long dress, too.  Not that I am going to do something to please everyone else, but FI's opinion counts the most.  But just wanted to see what complete strangers have to say on this. :)

Re: Long dress for a restaurant wedding?

• Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    A long dress is fine for a restaurant wedding. You're the bride and have pretty much free reign, attire-wise!
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    Honestly, when I saw the name of the thread, I was thinking of something sleek and elegant. Totally workable. But I also think that you should go with what makes you feel comfortable.

I wanted to wear a tea length dress, and J all but nixed it. Given that we're having an pretty traditional wedding in a lot of respects, and it's a late fall/early winter wedding, it made sense to wear a longer dress. But sometimes I wish I had gone with a shorter dress--how on earth do I dance in this monstrosity?
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!  I will update you all tomorrow, as I'm going dress shopping for the first time and will see what I like.
  • Options
    PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    So, I ended up going with something completely unexpected and more traditional "bridal" than I thought...and a lot more than we expected price-wise, but my mom was ok with it because she and my FMIL who went with me LOVED it as much as I did.  I'm going to make it "trainless" by either bustling or whacking it off.  But, I am in love with it!  I panicked when she said bridal dresses take 6 months, and I don't have 6 months.  So we bought off the rack and got a discount that way.  It needs some minor repairs/touch-ups which they will do for free.  So, definitely not an off-beat dress as I had expected, but I do love it.  It even has some crystals and beading which I was also against, but you can't really tell from afar.  Only when you turn it catches in the light. 
  • Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    Beautiful!!! I love the back.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    The lace back is amazing! I really wanted a lace back myself, so I'm totally jealous!

I'm having a small restaurant wedding as well (well, my ceremony will be in the outdoor patio portion of the restaurant), and I wanted a long dress. It just felt right, and I'm not sure why!
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    LOVE it. It's perfect!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    I would love to see this picture! (For some reason, I'm not seeing anything?) I'm going to be having a smaller wedding too (about 40 people) at a nice restaurant, and I'm unsure about attire, both for me and FI. (What is your groom wearing?)
  • Options

Sorry, I had deleted them b/c they had my face in them, then couldn't reattach the cropped versions.  I will reattach here.  We haven't decided what he will wear, but considering buying a suit.  Whatever is more cost-effective - suit vs. renting tux.  But it won't be full tux.  I don't know much about the attire of the guy so I may not know what I'm talking about just yet!  I kept thinking I wanted very informal, but my mom convinced me to go more bridal.  When I had this one on I was glowing so I didn't care that it was more formal...it will be less formal once they remove the train I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards