Snarky Brides

Must have even number of Bridesmaids

edited February 2014 in Snarky Brides
My FI came home from work yesterday and said that his female co-workers told him to tell me to consider having an even number of bridesmaids. (After he told them I am having 7). They said that I should have an equal number of girls on each side of me in pictures because it will look bad having 3 on one side and 4 on the other, and that I should look on Pinterest to see how it is supposed to look.... I told him I already picked my closest girls and I am not going to change it based on how it will look in pictures, they are my friends and family, not props to make my pictures look like Pinterest! So I was irked by that suggestion and thought it was rude and now my FI thinks I am crazy. What do you girls think?

Best Answer

Answers

You're in the right.  They're idiots.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You're right, they're idiots, and your FI needs to tell them to STFU about his and your wedding.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    Actually, if they knew a damn thing about photography and composition they'd know that an odd number is more appealing to the eye than an even number. 

ETA: I couldn't find an example showing odd vs even, but let your imagination tell you that this pic is more appealing than it would be if it were 2 or 4 flowers:

Same goes for groups. Not that people should now insist on an odd number of bridesmaids, but I'm just trying to show these people are idiots and have no idea what they're talking about.
  • Show them pictures like this. These ladies look beautiful and happy... with odd numbers of girls!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  •  I showed FI this thread. His response "Well, I guess you have a bunch of crazies with you. I don't think you get the point, it was a suggestion, not a forceful requirement. It's fine to not agree with the suggestion, but to take offense that she suggested it is odd."
  • I'm not offended by the suggestion. I'm offended by her thinking she can tell you what to do on your wedding day, even if it is "just a suggestion." Recommending a caterer? Helpful suggestion. Telling me I have to have a certain number of attendants? Annoying bossiness.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • My FI came home from work yesterday and said that his female co-workers told him to tell me to consider having an even number of bridesmaids. (After he told them I am having 7). They said that I should have an equal number of girls on each side of me in pictures because it will look bad having 3 on one side and 4 on the other, and that I should look on Pinterest to see how it is supposed to look.... I told him I already picked my closest girls and I am not going to change it based on how it will look in pictures, they are my friends and family, not props to make my pictures look like Pinterest! So I was irked by that suggestion and thought it was rude and now my FI thinks I am crazy. What do you girls think?
    You are awesome.  If you were one of my girls, I would buy you something pretty today.
  • " look on Pinterest to see how it is supposed to look"

Hahahahahahahahaha. Oh dear. No one should take much advice from Pinterest wedding boards. You're totally in the right and everyone else should go fuck themselves if they tell you otherwise!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• by any chance is this coworker into burlap and lace and money jars too? Cus there's a whole lotta that on Pinterest too.
  • Inkdancer said:
    Show them pictures like this. These ladies look beautiful and happy... with odd numbers of girls!

I love these photos btw! It also goes to show that they don't have to have the same exact dress to look stellar in photos! First glance I didn't even noticed that the dresses had slightly different styles.
  • I had 5 bridesmaid, guess I did not do it right and my wedding is invalid :)

Anniversary
  • Lol, I just realized my BP is uneven! I have 5 bridesmaids and fi has 3 groomsmen, double whammy! Uneven sides and uneven bridesmaids and groomsmen! My wedding is ruined! 
  • Amyzen83 said:
    Lol, I just realized my BP is uneven! I have 5 bridesmaids and fi has 3 groomsmen, double whammy! Uneven sides and uneven bridesmaids and groomsmen! My wedding is ruined! 
    At least you have an even number of total attendants. I have 3 bridesmaids (oh no they're not an even number) and FI has 4 groomsmen, so uneven number of bridesmaids and we have uneven sides, and the total is uneven. Triple whammy!

• Doh! Guess we're having PPDs then because we aren't doing it right according to Pinterest lol!
  • guess im luck my mom had 5 kids so my sisters wont make the pictures look weird.
  • You can have as many bridesmaids as you want, equal number or not! I'm having 3 bridesmaids and my fiance is having 4 groomsmen. My twin brother (who was a grooms-zilla when he got married) pitched a fit over the uneven number of our wedding party (even saying he "didn't have to be in it" to make it even), but my fiance and I ignored him and are doing what we want to make us happy! And my brother is definitely in it because he is my twin! Lol. You do what will make you happy! :)
  •  I showed FI this thread. His response "Well, I guess you have a bunch of crazies with you. I don't think you get the point, it was a suggestion, not a forceful requirement. It's fine to not agree with the suggestion, but to take offense that she suggested it is odd."

Yes, you should be offended by the suggestion. Would he like it if someone suggested he look more like Ryan Gosling? Cuz Pinterest loves that guy. Or the shirtless underwear model holding a cute baby.

Your friends are not props. It's the suggestion that you take your relationships so lightly that you would consider telling someone "hey, so, I know I didn't ask you months ago like the other girls, but I just learned on Pinterest that my wedding pictures will look nicer if I have an even number of brideslaves on each side of me, so I'm gonna need you to stand in." Or worse, kicking someone out (of the wedding or the pictures) because of aesthetics. That's not being helpful, it's assuming you don't give a shit about your friends' feelings.

• I'm having one. The only other person I'd want up on my side is standing with DF - my big brother.

Dang. According to Pintrest, I get a bunch of do overs.
  • Why people think Pinterest is the be-all-end-all is beyond me.  I'm not saying "do what ever you want", but I can't stand when people (mostly female) say "Oh, have you looked at ideas on Pinterest?", "You should check out Pinterest for decoration ideas.", "Pinterest has plenty of stuff on _______."
    How about SHUT THE FUCK UP and let us plan our wedding the way we'd like it to look, not how Pinterest suggests it should look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Why people think Pinterest is the be-all-end-all is beyond me.  I'm not saying "do what ever you want", but I can't stand when people (mostly female) say "Oh, have you looked at ideas on Pinterest?", "You should check out Pinterest for decoration ideas.", "Pinterest has plenty of stuff on _______."
    How about SHUT THE FUCK UP and let us plan our wedding the way we'd like it to look, not how Pinterest suggests it should look.
    I think this goes for any "majority rules" type of thing. When we were shopping for suits, I asked the salesman to show us a darker grey. He said "oh no, you want lighter grey. All the weddings lately have been going with lighter gray." I don't give a rat's left nut what all the other weddings are doing, I fucking want darker grey! Granted, all those other brides probably got their light grey ideas on Pinterest... must have been pretty disappointed to learn that Jos A Bank doesn't sell vests.

Now, I say this as a person who legitimately likes Pinterest. I've been on it for eons (was one of the original beta testers) and hate what some people use it for nowadays, but it has been a helpful tool for me. It's just an enhanced Google Images for me, plus bookmarks. But I only use it to find and save things that I know I like, not to help me in some everlong pursuit of sheepdom.

• @lolo883  I'm on Pinterest myself, and I use it for the same purpose as you.  The most "popular" pins distress me, though - they're sickening and usually in poor taste.  

When we were price-shopping for tuxedo rentals, one saleswoman was showing us styles and said this of one bowtie: 
    "This color is quite popular on Pinterest, I've seen many wedding parties in it".

Kill me.

We went with another tux place, needless to say.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • @lolo883  I'm on Pinterest myself, and I use it for the same purpose as you.  The most "popular" pins distress me, though - they're sickening and usually in poor taste.  

When we were price-shopping for tuxedo rentals, one saleswoman was showing us styles and said this of one bowtie: 
    "This color is quite popular on Pinterest, I've seen many wedding parties in it".

Kill me.

We went with another tux place, needless to say.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards