Not Engaged Yet

AW: I Got an Interview! (UPDATE)

bethsmilesbethsmiles member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
I have officially scheduled my first post-graduation job interview! Monday morning I have a phone interview for a position at a university in Denver, not for teaching but I'm still very excited.

UPDATE: My interview today went really well! I have an in-person interview scheduled for tomorrow so I guess this process is going to move really fast, which is good.

One question for y'all - If I'm offered the position, would it be bad to accept but keep applying for teaching jobs?

Re: AW: I Got an Interview! (UPDATE)

• phiraphira member
    Yay! That's really exciting!!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @bethsmiles AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Thanks! I'm super excited and nervous but I figure even if I don't get the job at least now I know my resume has been noticed because it was starting to feel like I was sending it out into a void of nothingness.

• Congrats and good luck! I know you will impress them!
  • Congrats!! It's so annoying to be in that void of nothingness. I'm glad you got out :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Congrats! Let us know how it goes, what kind of a job is it for?

Anniversary

• Are you already in Colorado, or would you be moving here? Denver is awesome!
  • Good Luck!!! 

Anniversary
  • Awesome! Good luck! You'll kill it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Amazing! I'm sure your excitement will show through your interview :-) Good luck!
  • Thanks everyone! I'll definitely up-date you all on how things go!

@Peaseblossom55 - It's an admissions counselor position, so basically guiding prospective/new students through enrollment, registration, etc.

@Emmyghoul - I live just outside of Denver! And yes it is awesome! It's one of my favorite places!

• Congratulations! That is so awesome. I hope you get it :) Good Luck.

• @bethsmiles I'm convinced admissions is my dream job if I'm not teaching. I have yet to get an interview for admissions though so I kinda doubt other people agree lol. You can rock this!!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @bethsmiles wow that sounds great.  Good luck!!!

Anniversary

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Congratulations! Good luck on your interview!

• Congrats and good luck! Sending job vibes your way!
    friends tv show funy
  • Congrats!!! Hope it goes well!
  • Congrats @Bethsmiles! I actually have an interview this afternoon for an internal position in my current company. Hope yours goes really well. I'll be crossing my fingers for ya!
  • My interview today went really well! I have an in-person interview scheduled for tomorrow so I guess this process is going to move really fast, which is good.

One question for y'all - If I'm offered the position, would it be bad to accept but keep applying for teaching jobs?

@allusive007 - Good Luck with your interview! I know you'll do awesome!

• @Bethsmiles Is this a full-time salary paid position? If you accept, I would try to get in at least a year+ with the organization before moving into another position. When I was a recruiter and I saw resumes with candidates jumping from one career to the next within a short time frame, it usually wasn't a good sign to the employer (unless it was contract work and the contract expired...whole other situation). 

I don't think it's a bad thing at all to keep looking at other opportunities and seeing what's out there though. Only accept the position if you feel this is a job you can see yourself staying and growing with. The company wouldn't want to waste their time on an employee that's going to quit within the first year just as much as you wouldn't want to waste your time on a company that you feel you could find something else that's a better fit.
  • phiraphira member
    I'd wait at least a year before applying for other jobs, but I likely wouldn't stop looking, just in case. It would suck to miss out on a dream job, or a great starting job for your desired career path, just to keep up appearances at a job you only feel so-so about. But I wouldn't accept a position if I assumed I'd be there for a semester or so before jumping ship.

Yay that the initial interview went well!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    edited May 2014
    phira said:
    I'd wait at least a year before applying for other jobs, but I likely wouldn't stop looking, just in case. It would suck to miss out on a dream job, or a great starting job for your desired career path, just to keep up appearances at a job you only feel so-so about. But I wouldn't accept a position if I assumed I'd be there for a semester or so before jumping ship.

Yay that the initial interview went well!
    Just keeping an eye for an ideal position or great starting job is more what I was thinking. I definitely don't want to have too many jobs with too little time spent at each one on my resume. But at the same time I don't want to miss out on something that would be exactly what I want.

I don't think there's a lot of opportunity for movement at this job, especially in this position, though, so while I could see myself staying for a year or two I don't see myself staying for a long time.

ETA: @southernpeach89 - Yes, it is a full-time, salary paid position which is why I'm still interested in it, besides the parts of it I'm feeling a little wary about. Financially, it would be great for me and it would give me some good experience to put on my resume but I definitely don't want to be stuck there for a long time.

• @bethsmiles you can also look for adjunct positions at a local community college and possibly teach a night/weekend class or two to keep up your teaching experience :)  Cause trust me, adjunct positions don't pay well enough to be your only job haha
  • 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I was going to give you the same advice as @blue&white. I think you could easily stay in your field, and the salaried job, if you found an adjunct position at a community college. Congrats on moving through the interview process!
  • Great news and update!!! Good luck!
  • @Blue & White - Thanks for the advice :) You're right, I absolutely can't live off just an adjunct's pay but it would be nice to teacher a class or two a semester just to keep up my teaching experience.

• Yay I'm glad it went well.  If offered the job I would plan to at least stay a year, teach on the side maybe.

Anniversary

• Glad it went well for you!!  If it's not the job for you though, don't be afraid to turn it down (even if the money is awesome).  You spend 40+ hours at your job, you need to make sure it's something you're going to look forward to doing.

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100 - I'm feeling a lot more positive about the job after doing the in-person interview today. I think I could enjoy it for a year or two, just not more than like 4-5 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards