May 2014 Weddings
Options

XP: 10 days away & FI wants to add to the guest list

So my FI is having second thoughts about a couple he took off the guest list before we sent the STDs in January. Our wedding is now 10 days away (May 31st) and last night he told me he felt really bad about not inviting this couple.

They were neighbors while he was growing up and this couple is like an Aunt & Uncle to him. He originally took them off the list because he hasn't had much contact with them in the last 5 / 10 years - and we had to keep the guest list limited due to our reception venue.

Now that our final numbers are in - we have the space, so that's not a concern.

What I am worried about is that these people, who I have never met (FI & I have been together going on 5 years) will be offended at being invited at the last minute. And that FI said (in a semi-joking way) he would blame it on me - that with my spreadsheet of the guest list & addresses that somehow their invite was never sent! I explained to him that I would be concerned that they would be offended at being a last minute invite - but he seems to think they would be okay with it.

I told him that ultimately it is his decision - he doesn't have a lot of people from his side coming - mostly because he has cut a lot of ties from his past (for good reason!) and is not close with any extended family. Most of the friends that are coming were "my friends first".

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Re: XP: 10 days away & FI wants to add to the guest list

• Options
    I would let him invite them. But with the stipulation that the truth is told. No blaming it on you or fibbing about the invite. Plain znd simple explain that you were unable to accomodate at first but would appreciate there attendance.
  • Options
    Yeah, what @dluberts said.  I had to be honest to a friend of mine, that I just honestly forgot to add her.  I invited her about a month before the wedding, and I still feel terrible about it.  But I was honest with her when I told her that it was an honest mistake.  She ultimately can't come, but yeah. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    windiewindie member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I really dont think FI would actually blame me or lie - he knows that's not how we should do things. IDK if he will actually invite them or not but now we are 9 days away, and the longer he waits,the worse it will be if he does invite them. I think he realizes that and will end up not inviting them. I will probably suggest we ask them to dinner sometime soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards