Wedding Invitations & Paper

RSVP wording/method dilemma

My partner and I are planning on asking guests to RSVP through our wedding website or over the phone. We wanted to avoid RSVP cards or postcards, since:

- the cards or postcards will obviously cost money,
- we would also be paying for stamps for the cards or postcards,
- we want to keep the weight of our invitations low enough to mail them with Forever stamps, which we have already purchased.

However, I'm struggling so much with invitation design and wording. We'd want to have the RSVP information below the main invitation wording (e.g. "Please join us for ..." our names, the date, time, and location of the wedding), after a small line break. Here's the best wording we've come up with:

RSVP by [date]
www.weddingwebsite.com/mylasthislast
[phone number]

Here are my questions:

- Is it clear that people can RSVP through the website OR call us?
- Do you think people who call to RSVP will still check the website? They need to select a meal option, and the meal options are listed on the website. RSVPing through the website makes sure that people select a meal.
- Is there a not-terribly-awkward way to make it clear that there's lots of non-RSVP info on the website? We have information about hotel rooms, the venue, directions, etc.
- Should we include a website password? Is there a way to include it without getting too wordy? We've managed without a password so far (no spam) and we're not worried about not-invited people RSVPing. But we'd love to know other people's opinions and experiences.

We're considering getting inexpensive business cards to use as inserts with the RSVP information, or having the RSVP info printed up on the back of the invitations. However, for the sake of cost and simplicity, we'd prefer to have the RSVP info on the front. So I'd still love your opinions and answers to the above questions, although we will not rule out business cards/reverse side printing.

Thanks!
Anniversary
now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~

Re: RSVP wording/method dilemma

• I like you a lot, and I think this is a terrible idea. I'm sorry. I just really do.

Postcards aren't very expensive (we printed 100 of them and 100 invites at VP for less than $70), and postcard stamps are only $.33.

I think there are too many moving parts here -- people have to RSVP to you, which is fine, but you also want them to pick a meal choice. If they don't know that they'll have to choose a meal, when they call you, they'll be caught flat-footed, and if they're RSVPing for two people, they might not know what the other person wants.

I do not think people who call will still check the website, no, so I think you have to have a way to record their meal choice for them. 

If you are dead-set on not having RSVP cards, I think you HAVE to have a business card that includes the website (and yes, I would PW-protect it), and a note that says, 'Please visit our wedding website to make a meal choice.'

I'd do:
    RSVP
    [website]
    or
    [phone]
    please visit our website for additional information and meal choice options

I'm pretty tech-savvy, and unless you told me to, I wouldn't think to check the website after I'd called you to RSVP.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I think if you do it your way you will wind up needing to talk to 80% of your guests on the phone.
  • I think the way you have it set up could work ok if you were having a buffet, but if people need to make meal choices then you are making it complicated. It will be complicated for your guests if they don't check your website and you are probably going to end up having to follow up with most of your guests anyways. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work to have to do a couple of weeks before your wedding.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Thanks, folks. I'm in the middle of a conversation now with my partner, and I've been Googling like a pro. It sounds like RSVP postcards might be light enough to keep the invitations under an ounce (real life experience would be nice, if you have any!), and we should be able to keep the costs under $100 extra. My partner still wants an online option for RSVP, but we'll see. It seems kind of confusing to me to have an online option and a postcard. Like, the RSVP choices would still be awkwardly written out on the invitation, and then people might go online after RSVPing and wonder if they're supposed to do both.

I do think that the majority of our guest list, given the choice between calling to RSVP or going online, would actually go online. Most of my friends I know would prefer online and wouldn't care that it wasn't traditional. My cousins who are getting married this year are very likely going to have online RSVPing as one option for RSVPing or the only option. I'd actually imagine that 80% of our guest list would go online. But I think that because we need meal options, and that information is on the website, offering phone vs online is going to be a mess, and we should either go with all online or all paper.

tl;dr: Now thinking about postcards instead. Partner still wants an online option in addition to paper or phone. Would love feedback about the weight of an invitation + postcard because I'm hoping I don't need 66 cent stamps for that (invitation would be a 5x7" card, RSVP card would be a 4.25x5.5" postcard, both in the same single envelope).
    Anniversary
  • phira said:
    Thanks, folks. I'm in the middle of a conversation now with my partner, and I've been Googling like a pro. It sounds like RSVP postcards might be light enough to keep the invitations under an ounce (real life experience would be nice, if you have any!), and we should be able to keep the costs under $100 extra. My partner still wants an online option for RSVP, but we'll see. It seems kind of confusing to me to have an online option and a postcard. Like, the RSVP choices would still be awkwardly written out on the invitation, and then people might go online after RSVPing and wonder if they're supposed to do both.

I do think that the majority of our guest list, given the choice between calling to RSVP or going online, would actually go online. Most of my friends I know would prefer online and wouldn't care that it wasn't traditional. My cousins who are getting married this year are very likely going to have online RSVPing as one option for RSVPing or the only option. I'd actually imagine that 80% of our guest list would go online. But I think that because we need meal options, and that information is on the website, offering phone vs online is going to be a mess, and we should either go with all online or all paper.

tl;dr: Now thinking about postcards instead. Partner still wants an online option in addition to paper or phone. Would love feedback about the weight of an invitation + postcard because I'm hoping I don't need 66 cent stamps for that (invitation would be a 5x7" card, RSVP card would be a 4.25x5.5" postcard, both in the same single envelope).
    This is, literally, exactly what we did.  5x7" card/invite, 4.25x5.5" postcard, AND an 8.5x11" paper, folded in half, with directions and hotel information for our non-tech-savvy guests who wouldn't have used our wedding website for the information.

It came in under an ounce, we used regular stamps, had no problems.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Here's my recent experience with postage. Mine ended up being 1.1 oz., which stunk because I had to get the 70-cent stamps (we had budgeted for it so no big deal). This is what we had:

Invitation (heavy stock paper)
    RSVP card with envelope with stamp (heavy stock paper)
    Accommodations card (regular card stock)
    Business card size insert for website (regular card stock)
    Inner & outer envelope

By simply removing one of the envelopes, we would have been at 1 oz. (but you would have been able to see everything through the envelope). If you have less than that, I think you'd be okay. Can you cut some paper in the size/weight of what you want to include and weigh it?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• MW5280MW5280 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    As far as weight goes, you can have 4 sheets of standard weight paper in an envelope with a Forever stamp. I think this will depend on the weight of the paper for your invite/RSVP card.

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phiraphira member
    Thanks, everyone! I think we'll be good with just the one envelope, the invitation, and the postcard. We're planning to rely a lot on our website for info (again, the majority of our guests are pretty internet/tech savvy and will expect info on the website). I've got some stationery (save the date postcards and our thank you notes) from our invitation vendor already and I'll measure and weigh that tonight. @Cookie Pusher I am really just terribly embarrassed that I hadn't thought of that!
    Anniversary
  • @phira Honestly, it took me a while to think of doing it for our STDates. They came on heavier paper than I anticipated and I panicked. Then 2 days later, I remembered I have a digital kitchen scale at home AND a postage machine at work that I use to send out our office mail EVERY SINGLE DAY. Derp. lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• phiraphira member
    @phira Honestly, it took me a while to think of doing it for our STDates. They came on heavier paper than I anticipated and I panicked. Then 2 days later, I remembered I have a digital kitchen scale at home AND a postage machine at work that I use to send out our office mail EVERY SINGLE DAY. Derp. lol
    Digital kitchen scale is one of the best things I've purchased. I originally bought one off of Amazon because my best friend, a veterinarian, recommended it to monitor my parakeet's weight. One day, we were cooking and going, "Ugh, this would be so much easier to measure in terms of weight," and then we remembered--kitchen scale! I use it for EVERYTHING now.
    Anniversary
  • If you really want to stick with no RSVP card (which I don't personally have a problem with) you could probably do an insert on text-weight paper rather than card stock, large enough to fit all the information you need (meal choices and website password and full instructions), but light enough to not affect your postage - maybe letter size cut into quarters. Something like 

Please respond by (date) with your entree choices at
    www.website.com/rsvp
    or
    (123) 456-7890

Entree One
    Descriptions

Entree Two
    Descriptions

Accommodations information available at www.website.com

• phira said:

@phira48hourprint has mini postcards! (I can help make them match your invitations if you would like)

You can get 100 for $21 + shipping. I usually have coupons for discounts or free shipping too. Let me know if you require assistance!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• phiraphira member
    You folks are always so helpful. Every time I'm on WeddingWire and they're all like OMG TK IS THE WORST, it's like, UM NO it's just that on TK if you ask for advice you need to actually think about TAKING IT.

@lolo883 I will run that idea by my partner tonight. I'm leaning towards postcards now, but he's still like nooooo I wanna to online.

@beethery I may PM you later! We're doing invitations from Minted, so it might end up being a little rough to match.
    Anniversary
  • @phira If you can get screenshots, I can 95% make it happen. I'll play with that site later and see what kind of color picking options they present you with so I can see about matching that stuff up.

I'm a graphic designer, this shit is my jam :D
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards