Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Family Member as Photographer

So, this may be a weird question, but we have a family member who take photographs as a hobby and is actually pretty good.  So we were considering asking him to be our photographer instaed of hiring one.  The only thing is that our venue requires all vendors to have GL insurance and provide proof of insurance.  But since he isn't a professional photographer, he obviously doesn't have insurance.  My question is, since he is technically a guest that will just happen to be taking pictures, do i need to say anything to the venue about it?  Or could I just tell them that we decided not to hire a photographer?  Thought.....

Re: Family Member as Photographer

• photogbride12photogbride12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd be very careful about this. Many many family/friend relationships have been ruined over using a family member over a professional to shoot the wedding. You should ask yourself if it's worth potentially losing/having a strained relationship with this family member if something goes wrong. Taking photos for fun and shooting a wedding are like night and day and there are about a million things that can go wrong. He/she may not have the equipment necessary to handle all of the lighting situations and hiccups that happen throughout the day.

That said, if someone is shooting your photos all day and the venue doesn't have that liability insurance and something happens you could be held responsible. Say a guest trips over the family member's camera bag and breaks a hip - you will likely have to eat that cost. I'd check your contract with the venue to see what consequences there might be for having someone there without insurance.

And whatever you do, GET A CONTRACT with this family member. If for no other reason than to outline expectations. I read horror stories every day here about people who are 6 months or a year after their wedding still waiting for photos from their family or friends who shot the wedding instead of hiring a real professional. And prepare yourself for missed shots and less than professional quality ahead of time so you don't get upset/disappointed with your family member if/when they miss something important.
  • angybanezangybanez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always shown my proof of insurance to venues, but then again there are always guests that takes pictures. Ask your venue what their policy is (or have another friend call! lol) and if it's OK, then let your family member know if they break, trip anyone, or anything else on site they probably will be responsible. Anything can happen in a wedding or event, which is why insurance is always important.
  • edited December 2011
    You could purchase the insurance for the family member, it's around, $300.  Sometimes events spaces ask to see the proof in advance.  The weird thing about a family member, no contract.  Everything could go without a hitch, what if, what if, what if?  You could hire someone just starting out and use your family member too? 

Have they shot a wedding?  There are many components to documenting a wedding.
    If you do go with your family member, I would suggest making a list of specific shots you want and ask them do they feel comfortable with this responsibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards