Registry and Gift Forum
Options

his 2nd marriage, my first

Hello all,

It's my fiance's second wedding and my first. We are both pretty young, but we own a home together and have most everything we need. Granted, it's not the finest quality, but we really are not in want of anything. The problem is my side of the family. My parents insist we create a registry, and say people are already asking about it, but I'm afraid it will look incredibly tacky to his side of the family. Really, I'll just be happy to have everyone's company on our big day, and would rather skip on the whole registry thing! Help!

Re: his 2nd marriage, my first

• Options
    Since people are asking about it, go ahead and create a registry.  It can be upgrades of things you already own (new towels, high thread count sheets, top of the line pots and knives), fun housewares you wouldn't normally buy for yourself (a cappucino or popcorn machine, nice barware, fine china), a Sears registry for tools for home improvement projects, an R.E.I. registry for outdoor gear.  It also doesn't have to be a large registry, just something to give some guidance who those who prefer to buy gifts.

If you think it will look tacky to his family, you can always just let your parents know since it sounds like only your side is asking about a registry.  It's also fine to skip registering, but you might end up with a lot of white elephant gifts.
  • Options
    If your family is asking, go ahead and create a small registry.  There's a sticky post at the top of this board with a lot of ideas for things you could register for. 

If his side doesn't want to get you a gift the second time around, they won't ask.  I'd probably skip inviting them to any showers or putting the registry info on the website if you are concerned about them.
  • Options
    If guests are asking, it would be a good idea to register to avoid all of the regifts and 10 million crockpots.  Registry information should be spread by word of mouth anyways, so if your family and friends are asking and his aren't, then everyone will be happy!  You are the bride and it is your first wedding, so you shouldn't be worried about his family thinking anything less of you.  Plus, registering is a great opportunity to upgrade the things that you already have, and if your current stuff is still in good shape, donate it to a local women's shelter or other non-profit that has good use for it, and as an added bonus you can get a tax write-off for next year!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards