Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Hand Blessing - Where in ceremony?

We love the "Blessing of the Hands" (I'll post below) but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out where in the ceremony to put it. Before vows? In between vows and rings? After ring exchange? Also, as we are using this we are only doing one reading. Has anyone else used the hands ceremony as a sort of reading? Meaning having a family member do it? Thanks for any help!

-Kristen

The Hands Ceremony

Rebecca and George, Please face each other and take each other’s hands, so that you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever.

These are the hands that will work along side yours as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief temporarily comes your way.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.

These are the hands that will give you support and encouragement to chase down your dreams.

These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.

These are the hands that will lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into eyes that are filled with overwhelming love for you.

And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

Re: Hand Blessing - Where in ceremony?

• I would have the officiant do it, not a family member; it seems like it's an element of the binding part of the ceremony, not just a reading.

I would think you could do it wherever you wanted to. I think it would make most sense to do vows, this, then rings, because it's a natural segue-way from holding each other's hands to putting a ring on each other's fingers.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • 00kim0000kim00 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    My pastor does this at every wedding I've seen him officiate. He does it right before the vows, after whatever else he says
  • I like this! I've been looking for something that is non religious and sounds nice that my officiant can read. My soon to be brother in law is marrying us, but he isn't the best with words, so I would love to give him this to read. I think this would go well before the rings because, like someone said, it would work well with giving the rings because you're already holding hands. 

• we did this! It was my favorite part.  Our reverend (i think) did it after we did the rings and before the first kiss and announced us husband and wife. The whole ceremony was such a blur I cannot even remember exactly, lol... but I am pretty sure it was after the ring exchange.

Anniversary
  • KprzesKprzes member
    First Comment
    Thank you so much ladies! Seems like its pretty versatile. Glad to hear it was your favorite part, erinlin, it really spoke to us.
  • It sounds like it belongs right before the kiss.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Vows? or Sand/Candle

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards