Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Shower invitation confusion

So my shower invitations went out this week. They are very cute and I know that my friends are putting in a lot of effort and are going to throw a very lovely shower. I'm excited and honored. 

The only problem is, some of the people who received the invite asked me if it was a lingerie shower, which it's not, because of the invite. (It has a picture of a bustier on the front.) I told them it would be a fun party but no, it was a traditional shower, just that was probably the theme. I told the BM accepting RSVPs that there had been some confusion and maybe she could mention it when people call, but now I'm thinking I was out of line in talking to her about it. I probably should have just left it alone. Did I overstep? I love my friends dearly and the last thing I want to do is upset them.

Re: Shower invitation confusion

• Options
    I don't think you overstepped the boundaries.  You were just relaying information that you had been hearing.  I just wouldn't say any more about it.

• Options
    Ditto Maggie. Someone was confused, and it is possible others may be as well. You were just giving the hosts a heads up about this. Did they not include registry info with the invitations?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Yes, they did include registry information. And I'm pretty sure they don't sell lingerie at the Container Store. The shower theme is "Burlesque Bridal Shower" according to the invitations, I know it will be really pretty and tasteful.

The lady that said the rudest thing, is a pessimistic woman, she asked if my friends were trying to embarrass me, which was honestly a little hurtful. I don't know why people say things without thinking.  

My family is pretty conservative as well. Another thing I was concerned about is that I coach a swim team for a parochial school, the moms that I invited to the wedding had asked to be included in the shower, but there isn't anything I can do now. I honestly just don't want to offend but this isn't on me, I guess. It's going to be fun and my friends do go all out throwing parties. Like I said, I appreciate their doing this. I just really don't anyone to feel uncomfortable, the hostesses, me or the guests.

• Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    kasmith1 said:
    Yes, they did include registry information. And I'm pretty sure they don't sell lingerie at the Container Store. The shower theme is "Burlesque Bridal Shower" according to the invitations, I know it will be really pretty and tasteful.

The lady that said the rudest thing, is a pessimistic woman, she asked if my friends were trying to embarrass me, which was honestly a little hurtful. I don't know why people say things without thinking.  

My family is pretty conservative as well. Another thing I was concerned about is that I coach a swim team for a parochial school, the moms that I invited to the wedding had asked to be included in the shower, but there isn't anything I can do now. I honestly just don't want to offend but this isn't on me, I guess. It's going to be fun and my friends do go all out throwing parties. Like I said, I appreciate their doing this. I just really don't anyone to feel uncomfortable, the hostesses, me or the guests.

It's not unheard of for people to deliberately try to embarrass the bride at her shower or bachelorette party.  Some people think it's funny to embarrass their friends and that it's what you're supposed to do to the bride to be.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kasmith1 said:

Then I can see why people got confused and asked if it was a lingerie shower.  

• Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Yeah, I'm not going to worry about it. I know that it will be fun. I told them about the confusion, nothing else can be done now. 

I know that my friends aren't trying to embarrass me, because I don't have friends like that. 

And if someone gets me lingerie then great. Maybe a little awkward, but oh well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards