Wedding Etiquette Forum

Only believed it when I saw it...

Last week, FI got a Facebook message from someone who was once a very casual friend, whom FI had not spoken to in years. He was inviting FI to his wedding which was only 2-3 days away, stating that they'd had some cancellations so now FI was invited. FI said he was pretty sure it was a form message that went to multiple people. 

I'm sure stories like this aren't new to most of you, but I never quite believed things like this until I saw it with my own eyes. I've heard of B-listing, but this is more like Z-listing! 

Re: Only believed it when I saw it...

• Z-listing, I like that turn of phrase! 
  • Ick. How do people not get that this is extemely rude. I hope your FI declined.

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Sorry, can't stop giggling at Z-listing.

So wait, are you attending? Although maybe I shouldn't assume that they'd also be polite enough to invite the two of you together ...
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    mlg78 said:
    Ha! It's at that point I'd show up for the reception, make use of the open bar and then go home and defriend them on Facebook for not appreciating our friendship enough to invite me appropriately to the wedding.
    I got B listed once, my roommate got C listed, to the same wedding, which was how we figured it out... We did exactly this. We went, ate, drank and danced; had a great time. No gift was given, though I doubt a thank you note would have been sent. And I only felt slightly guilty about it.
  • FI didn't even respond to the "invitation." Obviously with a proper wedding invitation that would be very rude but in this situation, I wasn't inclined to correct him. And no, @phira, we were not invited together. I don't know if this person even knows who I am; that's how long ago they knew each other and how long it's been since they talked.

I think somebody just didn't want to pay for uneaten dinners.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    FI didn't even respond to the "invitation." Obviously with a proper wedding invitation that would be very rude but in this situation, I wasn't inclined to correct him. And no, @phira, we were not invited together. I don't know if this person even knows who I am; that's how long ago they knew each other and how long it's been since they talked.

I think somebody just didn't want to pay for uneaten dinners.
    I wouldn't have corrected him either. Holy piles of rudeness, Batman!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • mlg78 said:
    Ha! It's at that point I'd show up for the reception, make use of the open bar and then go home and defriend them on Facebook for not appreciating our friendship enough to invite me appropriately to the wedding.
    If they're doing something like "Z-listing" (love the term, btw), what makes you think they'd have the common sense to have an open bar? lol

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• mlg78 said:
    Hmm. What are the odds somebody willing to z-list a guest sans SO is actually ponying up for an open bar as opposed to cash?
  • If you guys wanted to go, your FI could have said, my fiance and I would love to come. If they had the audacity to correct you, I wouldn't fault you in telling these people where to stick it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards