Chit Chat

Really mom?!?!

LadyMillilLadyMillil member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2014 in Chit Chat
DH and I booked a cruise for our honeymoon! He posted about our honeymoon being booked on FB and tagged me. My mom commented "we have 2 weeks off in July. Send us the info for the cruise and we might come too"

Ummm, no. I know we've lived together for 4.5 years and got married in April, but I don't want to spend our honeymoon hanging around with my parents.
ETF typo

Anniversary

Re: Really mom?!?!

• Oh no! Maybe they just didn't think about it being your honeymoon and thought it was just a random trip? Otherwise yikes... Either way I hope you guys are able to clear it up soon.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'm just posting to say how much I love that you have the Gilmore Girls in your signatures.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Meryl Streep

Hopefully she missed that this is your honeymoon!

Not as bad as my parents wanting to crash my honeymoon but if SO and I post about a date night on Facebook he has a friend who gets upset that she wasn't invited. We see you once a week and SO and I rarely do date nights, why do you think you should be invited?!

• No no no no no no no no.
    No fucking way. In this instance, I would straight-up tell her, "It is our honeymoon, we would like to spend this time by ourselves. No ifs, ands, or buts. We are not inviting anyone to share this time."

I don't think I will have to deal with that issue for my parents, but it would not shock me in the least if FI's parents made an attempt.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Hopefully it was just a brain fart? Otherwise....nonononononononono.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • beethery said:

No fucking way. In this instance, I would straight-up tell her, "It is our honeymoon, we would like to spend this time by ourselves. No ifs, ands, or buts. We are not inviting anyone to share this time."

I don't think I will have to deal with that issue for my parents, but it would not shock me in the least if FI's parents made an attempt.
    Buts, no. Butts, yes.

• Those cruise ships are HUGE!  Especially RC.  When we took our college age kids on a cruise, we only saw them at night during dinner, and not always then.
    If you can't talk your Mom out of this, tell your travel agent you want cabins on the opposite sides of the ship!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Those cruise ships are HUGE!  Especially RC.  When we took our college age kids on a cruise, we only saw them at night during dinner, and not always then.
    If you can't talk your Mom out of this, tell your travel agent you want cabins on the opposite sides of the ship!
    Still. One of the best parts of our honeymoon will be that we'll be on an entirely different continent than all our friends and family, completely unreachable. No cruise ship is large enough. Nope nope nope.

• SenecafSenecaf member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    Noo! maybe she thought it was just a vacay.

My mom offered to fly us to Wyoming where she lives to hang out in the mountains with them for a week. Nice gesture but I'll pass.
  • @lolo883

Mom, I am literally going to the middle of the ocean where nobody but other boat passengers that I don't know can get anywhere near me. IF I COULD HONEYMOON ON THE MOON, I WOULD. GET THE HINT.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    @lolo883

Mom, I am literally going to the middle of the ocean where nobody but other boat passengers that I don't know can get anywhere near me. IF I COULD HONEYMOON ON THE MOON, I WOULD. GET THE HINT.
    "Sure Mom, here you go! Alaskan cruise..." ::sneaks away to the Caribbean::
    THAT is how it's done.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Question (promise I'm not calling you or your H out, OP, genuinely curious). We usually advise folks not to post wedding related stuff on FB. Do honeymoons not count? Esp in a situation like this, where it seems a good time after the wedding?
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We're going to Chicago in December for our honeymoon. Unsurprisingly, no one wants to come with us!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Question (promise I'm not calling you or your H out, OP, genuinely curious). We usually advise folks not to post wedding related stuff on FB. Do honeymoons not count? Esp in a situation like this, where it seems a good time after the wedding?

The only time it's advised not to post is when you're rubbing in people's faces a party to which they're not invited, in front of people who presumably are (and even that's debatable/circumstantial, IMO). Honeymoons have nothing to do with the party and fall outside of that realm.

• I think honeymoons are like vacations -- I'm happy my friends are doing something awesome, but I don't expect to be invited along, so go for it in terms of posting.

But I also don't object to wedding stuff on FB, although I can see how it's a bad idea. I don't expect to be invited to all my FB friends' weddings, but I'm happy they're happy.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • CMGragain said:
    Those cruise ships are HUGE!  Especially RC.  When we took our college age kids on a cruise, we only saw them at night during dinner, and not always then.
    I don't think she was serious or she forgot it is our honeymoon and thought the cruise sounded like fun. DH and I live across the country from my parents. Every time there's been a family vacation they expect to do everything together, starting with breakfast at some ungodly hour.

Anniversary
    The only time it's advised not to post is when you're rubbing in people's faces a party to which they're not invited, in front of people who presumably are (and even that's debatable/circumstantial, IMO). Honeymoons have nothing to do with the party and fall outside of that realm.

I think honeymoons are like vacations -- I'm happy my friends are doing something awesome, but I don't expect to be invited along, so go for it in terms of posting. But I also don't object to wedding stuff on FB, although I can see how it's a bad idea. I don't expect to be invited to all my FB friends' weddings, but I'm happy they're happy.
    DH posted it, but I would have as well. It's basically a normal vacation we are going on, which we would typically post about. We are calling it a honeymoon because we 1) haven't gone on one yet and 2) we planned a longer trip than we would normally take, and did a couple upgrades that we wouldn't normally do because we wanted a special trip to celebrate getting married. We couldn't take a honeymoon directly after our wedding because of my schedule. If either he or I posted "we booked an awesome cruise" our friends and family would comment about it being our honeymoon.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards