Chit Chat
Options

Who makes the best lip stain?

I have reapplied my Maybelline lip stain at least five times today & I'm over it. Does anyone use a lip stain that actually stains, as in, lasts more than 20 minutes? I'd be forever grateful if you can recommend a good one. 

Re: Who makes the best lip stain?

• Options
    YSL has a fabulous lip stain that lasts a really long time! (In my experience)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    This is the one I use every day Clicky 

It last me pretty much all day; usually when I get home it has faded but the color is definitely still there. 
  • Options
    I like Benefit's Benetint.

Paging beauty expert @prettygirllost!
  • Options
    Not a stain, but this is the best lipstick EVER. It really does stay on, and the Red Velvet is one of those perfect reds that somehow looks good on all skin tones.

• Options
    zobird said:
    I like Benefit's Benetint.

Paging beauty expert @prettygirllost!
    I'm ashamed to say that I have not tried lip stain yet ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

I actually use the lip color burst pencils from Revlon. Wore it one my wedding day and it stayed put most of the day. 

Mine is similar to yours. I am afraid of drying out my lips using lip stain.image

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    I actually use the lip color burst pencils from Revlon. Wore it one my wedding day and it stayed put most of the day. 

Is the color obvious? I like bold lips & am not a big fan of tinted chapsticks because it's not in-your-face enough for me :)
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    Not a stain, but this is the best lipstick EVER. It really does stay on, and the Red Velvet is one of those perfect reds that somehow looks good on all skin tones.
    I am intrigued. Is the Red Velvet more of a cherry red or is it darker? Does it transfer? 
  • Options
    ElcaB said:

Is the color obvious? I like bold lips & am not a big fan of tinted chapsticks because it's not in-your-face enough for me :)

Some colors are more obvious then others. If you want crazy bold lipstick or a different lip stain might be better. For no effort color, the Revlon is good and cheap.

Anniversary
  • Options
     ElcaB said:
    I am intrigued. Is the Red Velvet more of a cherry red or is it darker? Does it transfer? 
    Only when you want it to, and you smooch all over your 2 year old nephew's face while it's still fresh (which is all the time, for me, cuz it's hilarious). Once you blot it and give it a minute to dry, it's kiss proof. And REDredred. (If you don't mind a selfie, and the edge where it's a little smudgy...)

red.JPG 42.3K

• Options
    Is it <<this one?>>  Because I never thought I would pay $34 for a lip product until I tried this.  I now own three and I shudder every time I think that's $100 I spent on my lips.  But DAMN.  Literally nothing, anywhere, is that good.  The color!  The glossiness!  The staying power!  I feel like a superhero.

It's so much better than the Maybelline with similar packaging, it's comical they even look the same.  No comparison.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Is it <<this one?>>  Because I never thought I would pay $34 for a lip product until I tried this.  I now own three and I shudder every time I think that's $100 I spent on my lips.  But DAMN.  Literally nothing, anywhere, is that good.  The color!  The glossiness!  The staying power!  I feel like a superhero.

It's so much better than the Maybelline with similar packaging, it's comical they even look the same.  No comparison.
    Damn. Can I register for that?? ;-)

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
     ElcaB said:
    Only when you want it to, and you smooch all over your 2 year old nephew's face while it's still fresh (which is all the time, for me, cuz it's hilarious). Once you blot it and give it a minute to dry, it's kiss proof. And REDredred. (If you don't mind a selfie, and the edge where it's a little smudgy...)

SITB:

I LOVE it! Also, come over and do my makeup please and thanks. 
  • Options
    ElcaB said:

ElcaB said:

SITB:

I LOVE it! Also, come over and do my makeup please and thanks. 

Haha I'll do it when you come eat pretzel bites!

• Options
    @JCBride2015 - YES! That is the one!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I had one from Estee Lauder that I really liked, but it was drying. Very tempted by the YSL one now. 

Usually my go to is coloring with a lip pencil and putting some gloss over. Lasts longer than lipstick at least. 
  • Options
    Do you guys have an idea for which color would be good for pale people? This thread has made me want to try lip stains but I have no idea where to begin
  • Options

Do you guys have an idea for which color would be good for pale people? This thread has made me want to try lip stains but I have no idea where to begin

For me, the biggest thing is matching the undertones - does your skin skew yellow (warm) or pink (cool)? Mine's yellow so I stick to peachy pinks and orangey reds. Bluish reds or pure pinks look like shit on me, no matter how light or dark.

• Options
    For me, the biggest thing is matching the undertones - does your skin skew yellow (warm) or pink (cool)? Mine's yellow so I stick to peachy pinks and orangey reds. Bluish reds or pure pinks look like shit on me, no matter how light or dark.
    And this is when I realize how little I actually know about makeup and my face ha. I think I'm warm but my face can easily get flushed and look pink
  • Options
    ^That. I have very blue undertones, so even though I'm pale I can pull off bold colors if they're pure pinks, purpley pinks, or reds. Also, a blue undertone to the skin can make a slightly sheer orangey red look like a true red, so make sure you test colors to see how they come out on you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options

And this is when I realize how little I actually know about makeup and my face ha. I think I'm warm but my face can easily get flushed and look pink

Do you look better in blue/purple/silver or green/brown/gold?

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    ^That. I have very blue undertones, so even though I'm pale I can pull off bold colors if they're pure pinks, purpley pinks, or reds. Also, a blue undertone to the skin can make a slightly sheer orangey red look like a true red, so make sure you test colors to see how they come out on you.
    I think I'm going to go and sample lip stains on my hand and see how they work out. I would ask V but I think he would just be very confused haha. I don't live close to a sephora so do you think sally's beauty would have a good selection?
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    I think I'm going to go and sample lip stains on my hand and see how they work out. I would ask V but I think he would just be very confused haha. I don't live close to a sephora so do you think sally's beauty would have a good selection?
    I love my local Sally's for any and all hair-related items but their makeup selection is a letdown.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    Inkdancer said:
    I love my local Sally's for any and all hair-related items but their makeup selection is a letdown.
    Damn, I just got a good deal there and have a membership card too. Oh well, any chain suggestions? I live in the new river valley in VA so there isn't much choices unless I drive to Blacksburg or something
  • Options
    I've never been able to get the best handle on my undertones.  I'm pale too, like @buttercup1958, but I have so many freckles it's hard to tell exactly what my "base" skin color is.  I can pull off many colors, but I especially like green eyeshadow and grey clothing with my skin.  Most of the time when I get matched to makeup they call me "neutral" whatever that means.

I own the YSL gloss in 27 Peche cerra-cola (light nude peach); 12 coril fauve (medium pink); and 108 violine out of control (sheer electric purple).  All of them are great but the #12 probably matches my skin tone best.

My favorite lipstick, sadly discontinued, is the J. Crew orange-red from a year or so ago.  It really pops.

If you are very pale, I really like a great bold lip.  You will really have to experiment with undertones to figure out which one is exactly right, though.

If it's any help with matching colors, here's a picture of my freckle-faced self-- maybe we have similar skin tones.  Or if we're different you'll know my colors might not work for you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    edited May 2014
    Inkdancer said:
    Inkdancer said:
    Damn, I just got a good deal there and have a membership card too. Oh well, any chain suggestions? I live in the new river valley in VA so there isn't much choices unless I drive to Blacksburg or something
    I think Target and CVS both have good makeup selections.  Although Sephora is the best because you can sample things right on your lips as long as you are careful with the disinfectant.  I'm pretty sure CVS will let you return an opened product if you don't like the color.

ETA: And I agree with Inkdancer on Sally.  I get all my nail stuff there but the makeup is not good quality.  It's just not their thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've never been able to get the best handle on my undertones.  I'm pale too, like @buttercup1958, but I have so many freckles it's hard to tell exactly what my "base" skin color is.  I can pull off many colors, but I especially like green eyeshadow and grey clothing with my skin.  Most of the time when I get matched to makeup they call me "neutral" whatever that means.

I own the YSL gloss in 27 Peche cerra-cola (light nude peach); 12 coril fauve (medium pink); and 108 violine out of control (sheer electric purple).  All of them are great but the #12 probably matches my skin tone best.

My favorite lipstick, sadly discontinued, is the J. Crew orange-red from a year or so ago.  It really pops.

If you are very pale, I really like a great bold lip.  You will really have to experiment with undertones to figure out which one is exactly right, though.

If it's any help with matching colors, here's a picture of my freckle-faced self-- maybe we have similar skin tones.  Or if we're different you'll know my colors might not work for you!

JCbride2015 where do you get yours from?
  • Options

Yay @buttercup1958!  Sadly, I got mine from Sephora so that's no too much help lol.  But you can order online!  I'm pretty sure a lot of department stores carry YSL makeup too, like Macy's.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Yay @buttercup1958!  Sadly, I got mine from Sephora so that's no too much help lol.  But you can order online!  I'm pretty sure a lot of department stores carry YSL makeup too, like Macy's.
    Ahhhhhh this is when I despise living in a smallish town. We don't even have a Macys in our mall. Maybe Jcpenny has it? I may have to take my chances and just bite the bullet and order one without trying it.
  • Options
    Ahhhhhh this is when I despise living in a smallish town. We don't even have a Macys in our mall. Maybe Jcpenny has it? I may have to take my chances and just bite the bullet and order one without trying it.
    Some JCPenneys have a Sephora makeup department!  Although I haven't seen YSL in the JCPenney ones.  Maybe you can call and ask?  Or order online and just read up on their return policy.  I would imagine return shipping would be super cheap because the package would be so light.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards