Chit Chat

Picking Up My Dress Today

And I'm so excited!

Nevermind that it will have to sit in my apartment for over a year while I wait for the time for alterations to come. It will be in my paws, and I will totally look at it from time to time like a total squee-ing fangirl. My tomboy, dress-hating 5-year-old self wouldn't even recognize me. (But she would have worn cutoffs to her wedding just to be contrary. And she would have rolled her eyes at the very notion of "playing" wedding, and would have turned the whole game into a cops-and-robbers type altercation).
This baby knows exactly how I feel

Re: Picking Up My Dress Today

• Yayyy! When is your wedding date? I just bought mine and it doesn't come in until March, for my May wedding. I'm already twiddling my thumbs... I just wanna look at it all the time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Wedding's not till August 8, 2015 (I swear to god I made one of those ticker thingies but TK ate it). So I have plenty of time enjoy its sparkles. I ended up falling in love with a dress from David's Bridal, so I think those are not made to order the way a lot of other gowns are, which explains the really fast turnaround. (I bought it on Mother's Day).
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I've had my dress for 6 months and I'm not having it altered till August. It's a rough waiting game! I'm so excited you're picking up yours!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I bought my dress last June and it sat in my closet (wadded in a ball) until I had it altered earlier this month. It was at the seamstress for a week and a half, and now it's sitting on a hook outside my closet - in a garment bag this time. I swear, I must have put that dress on two dozen times before even having it altered since everybody wanted to see it on me. Just make sure you don't spill any wine from Bingo on your dress!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Ha! I will definitely keep my bingo wine separate. It's amazing how much prettier it is when it's new and CLEAN! Those sample dresses have been through some hard times and sweat glands, apparently.
  • You are far braver than I! I picked mine up and only had it hanging in the closet for 2 weeks before taking it to the seamstress and even that gave me severe heartburn. I couldn't wait to get it out of my possession (...after lovingly gazing at it for at least 30 minutes a day ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You are far braver than I! I picked mine up and only had it hanging in the closet for 2 weeks before taking it to the seamstress and even that gave me severe heartburn. I couldn't wait to get it out of my possession (...after lovingly gazing at it for at least 30 minutes a day ;)
    This is why I'm glad my dress is at my mom's house for safekeeping until after we move. I would never get anything done because I'd spend all day traipsing around the house in my dress singing Disney songs.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    You are far braver than I! I picked mine up and only had it hanging in the closet for 2 weeks before taking it to the seamstress and even that gave me severe heartburn. I couldn't wait to get it out of my possession (...after lovingly gazing at it for at least 30 minutes a day ;)
    This is why I'm glad my dress is at my mom's house for safekeeping until after we move. I would never get anything done because I'd spend all day traipsing around the house in my dress singing Disney songs.
    I'm considering sending it to my mom, too. Only trouble is she's many states away and I just don't trust shipping it. Maybe I'll bring it in its garment bag as a carry-on the next time I fly home? Will they let you do that?
  • Yay! That's exciting :) I'm starting dress shopping next month, and I can't wait!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Inkdancer said:
    You are far braver than I! I picked mine up and only had it hanging in the closet for 2 weeks before taking it to the seamstress and even that gave me severe heartburn. I couldn't wait to get it out of my possession (...after lovingly gazing at it for at least 30 minutes a day ;)
    I'm considering sending it to my mom, too. Only trouble is she's many states away and I just don't trust shipping it. Maybe I'll bring it in its garment bag as a carry-on the next time I fly home? Will they let you do that?
    I had my dress in my apartment for less than 24 hours because my cat chews on everything.

To answer your question - I got married across the country from where I currently live. I bought my dress here and brought it with me as my carry on. When I was booking my flight I looked at the different plane types and purposely chose a flight that was scheduled to use a large plane, because it had more storage space. The airline couldn't guarantee that I would be able to to hang my dress in the first class closet. I arrived really early for the flight. As soon as there was an agent at the gate I spoke to her about having my wedding dress with me. She was able to move me so that I was beside an empty seat, so the dress could ride on my lap or sit in the empty seat if necessary. If the airline does pre-boarding, try to get on then so you can stow your dress before all the other passengers get on. The flight attendants were very helpful. They found an empty bin and helped me put the dress in there. They then guarded the bin so that no one tried to shove a carry on on top of my dress. My dress arrived fine at my destination. I had to steam it, but that was it. I wouldn't check your dress unless you have a hard shell, water proof suitcase to put it in.

Anniversary
  • Thank you, @LadyMillil! I would not have thought of half of those things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards