Wedding Reception Forum

To All My Fellow Teachers!

Ladies, gentleman.... Really anyone who's a teacher....

I'm a recent college graduate looking for history teaching positions (which are about as illusive as unicorns in NJ) and planning my wedding for Summer, 2015. The venue and caterer that my FI and I are looking into have 2 available dates... A Friday in July and a Saturday in mid-August. I'm drawn to the Saturday date, because I know it's more convenient for friends and family, but I'm worried - how late is too late for a teacher to get married in August and expect to go on at least a week-long honeymoon?

Opinions please! And the sooner the better!

Re: To All My Fellow Teachers!

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    That's really going to depend on the calendar for the school district you will be working in and how many days before the start of the term you will be required to start.  For example in the district where I currently live school started in mid-August this year and the teachers had to be in the week before that.  Whereas some districts don't start back till after Labor day.  I also know that at least some districts require the new teachers to start before the returning ones.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, it will all depend on your district. Keep in mind that most districts require new teachers to participate in week-long new teacher orientation followed by another week of inservice for the entire district faculty and then school begins the following week.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    It depends on the district. If you really like the date and the venue, why not go on your HM over fall/ winter/ spring break?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    It depends on the district. If you really like the date and the venue, why not go on your HM over fall/ winter/ spring break?
    This is what I would do if you love the Saturday date.  With all the extra training and prep before school for new hires it would be tricky for you to get a week off for a honeymoon.  Plan the wedding and then plan the honeymoon around a vacation time a little later.
  • I teach history in New Jersey, so I can speak a little bit more about scheduling around here (I'm assuming from your post you're in NJ).  I don't know of a single school that actually starts in August here in NJ.  For me, I do not "have" to be in the school until one day before the students begin (usually September 1st or 2nd).  However, I have been asked to attend "voluntary" workshops as early as August 18th.  I also like to go in around the 25th to start setting up my classroom, but some schools may let you in earlier / later depending on their schedule, and, again, this is really optional.  

As for some other points about not doing the honeymoon right away, I will say most teachers I know do not immediately leave for their honeymoon.  I will be returning to work for 3 days after my wedding before leaving for a short, 5-day, trip over Teacher's Convention Weekend (another Jersey thing). You should book the date you want, but wait on deciding about the honeymoon.  See what job you end up with first.  You really don't need to book a honeymoon more than 6 months out.  

As a side note, I'm not sure where in NJ you are, but I know of a few districts (not mine) hiring for history if you want to PM me. 

• tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    This totally depends on what date teachers have to report for the school year. 

As someone who is just finishing my first year of teaching - I would strongly advise against going on your honeymoon potentially the week before teachers report. Often there is new hire orientation and extra trainings, as PPs have said. Plus, it's fun to spend that time buying new things for your room, getting some planning done, etc. 

We are getting married the Saturday that our Spring Break starts... so I'm not having to miss an entire week of work. I know many teachers plan their weddings this way, since we are afforded many week long breaks it's nice to take advantage of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with others. Pick the date you like and do a honeymoon later if you need to. I did it that way, and actually ended up being relieved that I did that We weren't so stressed and tired the day we left for our honeymoon which many people are when they go straight from their wedding. We were able to enjoy our honeymoon better that way

• I had to plan my wedding around state testing. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Where in NJ? I know we usually start the first week after labor day. You think history's tough? Try looking for an art teaching position! I graduated from Montclair 2 years ago and no big break yet :*( ...Good luck with the search though!!! Try using k12jobspot, nj.com, and the Star Ledger. :)
  • South Jersey! And thanks for the tips - good luck with your search too!
  • @kklinke - just putting in my two cents, but if you're looking for a job I don't recommend leaving town at ALL in August- things shift around so much in schools those last few weeks that you might miss your chance if you get called for an interview. I've had a few friends get called for "the" interview and they lost the job because they weren't available the day interviews happened. You will most likely be booked the full week before school starts for New Teacher Orientation and meetings. 

I wish you the best of luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards