Wedding Party
Options

Torn About Wedding Party

Hi all! I'm new to this site, and I wanted to post this to see if anyone had any thoughts about my wedding party situation.

I haven’t officially asked anyone yet. Partly because it's still a little soon in our engagement, but partly because I’m really torn about one person in particular. I've known this person for almost 10 years. She’s 9 years older than me, and when she got married about 6 years ago, I was her MOH (and also the only bridesmaid). We've considered one another to be our best friend. But lately, it hasn’t seemed that way.

A few months ago, she started sharing with me the trouble she was having with her marriage. It was okay at first, but soon it became almost as if I was her therapist. She told me everything, and I tried to listen, but started feeling really overwhelmed. It didn't help that I was friends with her husband as well. Eventually, she shared with me that she was going to be getting a divorce. I told her that I supported the decision based on what she was telling me, and that I’d be here for her through it, but she continued to lean on me to such an extreme extent that I would start feeling physically and emotionally drained. I was also worried about the situation taking a toll on my relationship with my boyfriend. After talking to him, as well as my family, I decided that I needed to be straight, and explained to her how I was feeling, and she did stop talking about her divorce- but did end up constantly asking for my advice on new relationships, what to do about her child, and other random things that really just needed to be dealt with by her. I gave advice as best as I could, but she never seemed to listen.

About a month later, she told me she was moving a few states away. I was taken aback, and also a little concerned because she was going to live with someone she had just met recently online. But after explaining everything, I told her that it sounded like this is exactly what she needed. She left a few days later.

Since she left, we haven’t really been in contact as often as we were before. Part of it was relieving, because of the way I had been feeling, but another part of it was disappointing. I almost feel that I’ve been cut off completely. She deleted me from Facebook and made hers completely private, she hasn't said anything more than “congratulations” when I got engaged, and she forgot my birthday. When I finally confronted her about this, she ended up making it all about her, stating what was wrong in her life, and not really even apologizing. But at the end of the conversation, she ended up telling me that I am her best friend, and nothing has changed in that regard.

At this point I’m just completely torn. Since I've known her, I've imagined her being my MOH, but at this point, I’m not even entirely sure I want her in my wedding party. I've been talking to my FI, my family, and a few of my closest friends about it, but I was hoping to seek some advice from others- maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

Re: Torn About Wedding Party

• Options
    You are no longer close with this person and should not have her in your wedding party. Choosing your wedding party is a no-brainer. You shouldn't have to think about it or hem and haw to know who your nearest and dearest are. You aren't even FB friends, for Pete's sake, let alone close friends!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    From your post, I get the sense that you're feeling guilty for not wanting her in your wedding party, and you're not sure if your feelings are "good enough" to not ask her. It sounds like you feel like you're responsible for your friendship deteriorating because you weren't supportive enough. But you were supportive. You just are a friend and not a therapist or other mental health professional.

Honestly, she deleted you on Facebook and didn't congratulate you when you got engaged. The only reason to include her in the wedding party would be a sort of passive-aggressive, "Well, I'm still a good friend," and not because you genuinely want to include her.

Excluding her from the wedding party might end up being the official end of the friendship; I think you're afraid of being the one whose actions lead to that. But this friendship is going to either bounce back eventually or end anyway; whether or not she's in the wedding party will speed the process along, but it won't change anything.

So basically: Don't ask her. Don't tell her, "OH BY THE WAY you're not in my wedding party," but don't ask her to be in the wedding party and don't shy away from saying no if she asks if she's in the wedding party.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options

Hi all! I'm new to this site, and I wanted to post this to see if anyone had any thoughts about my wedding party situation.

I haven’t officially asked anyone yet. Partly because it's still a little soon in our engagement, but partly because I’m really torn about one person in particular. I've known this person for almost 10 years. She’s 9 years older than me, and when she got married about 6 years ago, I was her MOH (and also the only bridesmaid). We've considered one another to be our best friend. But lately, it hasn’t seemed that way.

A few months ago, she started sharing with me the trouble she was having with her marriage. It was okay at first, but soon it became almost as if I was her therapist. She told me everything, and I tried to listen, but started feeling really overwhelmed. It didn't help that I was friends with her husband as well. Eventually, she shared with me that she was going to be getting a divorce. I told her that I supported the decision based on what she was telling me, and that I’d be here for her through it, but she continued to lean on me to such an extreme extent that I would start feeling physically and emotionally drained. I was also worried about the situation taking a toll on my relationship with my boyfriend. After talking to him, as well as my family, I decided that I needed to be straight, and explained to her how I was feeling, and she did stop talking about her divorce- but did end up constantly asking for my advice on new relationships, what to do about her child, and other random things that really just needed to be dealt with by her. I gave advice as best as I could, but she never seemed to listen.

About a month later, she told me she was moving a few states away. I was taken aback, and also a little concerned because she was going to live with someone she had just met recently online. But after explaining everything, I told her that it sounded like this is exactly what she needed. She left a few days later.

Since she left, we haven’t really been in contact as often as we were before. Part of it was relieving, because of the way I had been feeling, but another part of it was disappointing. I almost feel that I’ve been cut off completely. She deleted me from Facebook and made hers completely private, she hasn't said anything more than “congratulations” when I got engaged, and she forgot my birthday. When I finally confronted her about this, she ended up making it all about her, stating what was wrong in her life, and not really even apologizing. But at the end of the conversation, she ended up telling me that I am her best friend, and nothing has changed in that regard.

At this point I’m just completely torn. Since I've known her, I've imagined her being my MOH, but at this point, I’m not even entirely sure I want her in my wedding party. I've been talking to my FI, my family, and a few of my closest friends about it, but I was hoping to seek some advice from others- maybe someone has been in a similar situation?

Sorry to say, but it sounds like your friendship has run its course.  But from your post, it wasn't your doing.  You are not a therapist and she was treating you like one.  You had every right to tell her you can't keep doing this with her.  She needed to speak with someone with professional experience.  She is probably going through some very tumultuous things in her head, especially since she so quickly moved to a different state to be with someone else.

As for your wedding, from your post, she should only be invited as a guest (if you even want to do that).  She has made it clear that she doesn't value your friendship as much as you do.  She has deleted you from FB and made her profile private.  Give her space and let her contact and reach out to you next.  If she doesn't even attempt to contact you in the next few months, you will have your answer.  It's sad, I've had it happen to me, but you just need to mourn the friendship and move on.

Don't chose your WP until about 9 months before your wedding.  As you can see with your friend right now, friendships can change at any time.  Make sure the people you choose are your nearest and dearest. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    There's no quid pro quo about including people in your wedding party. And it sounds like your friendship has run dry. Your "friend" needed professional help which you weren't qualified to give her, and when you told her that, she first cut you out of her life and then got defensive when you brought it to her attention that you were hurt. So I wouldn't ask her to be in your wedding party when she hasn't appreciated your friendship.
  • Options

I am going to have to agree with PPs. It sounds like your friendship is not what it used to be. Maybe my story will help you...

I picked two MOHs. One is my best friend and is awesome. The other was a former best friend, but we were still fairly close. Things started running their course, but I still asked her. Well, she just stepped down because she apparently doesn't "believe" in marriage. Don't put someone in your wedding party unless you are 100% sure of it. Good luck and happy planning!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! I honestly am kind of on the same page, but I'm in the head vs heart debate- my head says I need to include her, but my heart is telling me not to. Needless to say, it's not fun. But I really appreciate all the feedback. I still have plenty of time before I ask my wedding party for their involvement, but I wanted to see what others thought. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards