Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ceremony performer

Hey there.. My fiance's sister is a singer and is very talented, so we want her to sing during the ceremony.  However, I don't want anything cheesy.. and she hasn't totally offered up suggestions about what she would WANT to sing, just that she's able to do basically anything.  Any suggestions?

Re: Ceremony performer

• Are you having a religious ceremony? Is she a professional performer? Is she a-ok with doing the song? I would have her sing while an "activity" is going on - unity ceremony, processional, recessional, etc. Just being sung to during the ceremony seems odd and very cheesy. 

• jaime232jaime232 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Yeah that makes sense.  She has recorded albums, so it's not necessarily just a hobby on her part.  It's important to him that his siblings are involved in a way, which I get, and I like her and her music... but the song selection really determines the cheese factor for me.
  • I also think singing during a ceremony is cheesy, no matter how hard you try.
  • maybe have her sing in the processional or during a unity ceremony of some sort.  I think it is weird when there is just a performance during the ceremony and nothing going on.  As for a song option, it totally depends on what songs you like.  Talk to her and get an idea of what songs she is good at or would like to sing.

Anniversary
  • Grabows14Grabows14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Cheesy maybe except for the ave maria... love that song! :D
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I don't think a song in the ceremony is cheesy at all. It's a customary part of many religious services. Love Divine All Loves Excelling would be nice if you're having a religious ceremony or are comfortable with a bit of religion. If purely secular I would look for something simple and meaningful and short- most songs can be arranged to be shorter fairly easily- and treat it as you would a reading.
  • Our best man sang Ava Maria while we did the unity candle. It was gorgeous.

• It's not cheesy for most religious ceremonies - music is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge part of them!  I could see where it'd be cheesy if the ceremony was not religious, or was going to be exceptionally short.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • My younger cousin is going to sing as I walk up the aisle. We have discussed some songs and he tells me which ones are out of his range and which ones he will try to learn, but we haven't settled on anything. Where others think its cheesy or not, if you want her to sing then talk to her about what songs she thinks she can sing. My cousin absolutely refuses to sing "I loved her first" as my mom and dad walk me down the aisle because the vocal range is too hard for him, so that will be my father/daughter dance. I suggest you figure out when you want her sing and pick songs and suggest them to her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards