Registry and Gift Forum

Most and least used gifts? Any surprises?

Aray82Aray82 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited May 2014 in Registry and Gift Forum
A few years ago, some friends had a "come to Jesus" talk with me when they helped me unpack and found tons of clothing I thought would "maybe be fun" to wear "someday" but that I had barely touched. Since then, my general rule for buying any new clothes or shoes is that I have to think of at least three different outfits I could put together with clothes I already own. If at least three viable possibilities don't happen immediately and if I find myself having to think too hard, I put it back.

For registering, I upped that number to 5: 5 different times in the last year when either an upgrade or a new item would have made some aspect of cooking, entertaining, grilling, making coffee, etc. significantly better/more enjoyable/easier. If I'm going into "well, maybe it would be fun to..." then off it goes unless it's something FI is really set on. This kept the snacks on a stick device away (yes you can buy a machine that is exclusively devoted to making snacks on a stick!!), but also made the 12-cup French press a no-brainer to add. Our crowd are boxed gift folks and we were getting asked where we registered mere days after getting engaged so I wanted to have a good variety for people to choose from but also not go overboard just for the sake of adding more stuff.

Was there anything you got that you'd thought you would use a lot but rarely did? Or something you got that you ended up using a lot more than you anticipated? Or something not from your registry that you didn't think you would ever want but surprisingly ended up getting a lot of use out of? Any surprises?

ETA: Ok, I lied. I don't always use the 3-outfits rule. The patent leather knee-length stilleto Guess boots in my closet are what happens when I don't and when DSW has a huge sale. But I still hold on to them because I did wear them for all of two minutes when FI and I dressed up as Jersey Shore cast members one Halloween and I think what if there's another costume that they'll be needed for someday :P

Re: Most and least used gifts? Any surprises?

• After 37 years, I still have the wall clock that my co-workers gave to us, and I often use the Waterford cut glass vase, since DH is into gardening, and likes bringing me flowers.  Most other gifts are long gone.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • This used more than I thought:
    • The Griddler (Cuisinart):  This is a countertop grill with removable plates (super easy clean up) that DH uses about once a week to make paninis or to grill hot dogs when it is just the two of us.  We also bought the waffle plates but haven't used those yet.
    • Low Bowls from our bone china...  These didn't come as part of the place settings and we bought them with our completion discount during a big sale.  We use them for salads, pasta, and soups and I really like them.
    Used less than I thought:
    • Corningwear bakeware.  They were bought off the registry as a Christmas gift and I haven't used them yet. That being said, we've only been married 3 months and haven't entertained since then since we put the house up for sale.
    Everyone has different priorities and ours were nice plates and pots and pans.  Neither were bought by guests so we bought them ourselves using gift cards, Christmas money and wedding gift money.

Not EVERYTHING on your registry has to be practical unless you live in a small house/apartment with little storage space.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
     I like the rule system you have! I "try" to basically do the same thing! I'm not a big shopper, but when I 'have' to go out & buy something, I really try & get a top, or whatever, that will go with more than one thing. (More to avoid clothes shopping sooner than later). 

We had registered at 2 different places for the shower & wedding. We only received 3-4 "boxed gifts" at the wedding, but 95% of the shower gifts was registered stuff. The things we use the most, and I'm glad we registered for, are probably our suitcase, knife set, kettle, bakeware, & bedding. (These were all upgrades, but I use them all frequently, and we immediately switched over our bedding). I *loved* the bedding we chose! :) I'm also glad we registered for bath towels, kitchen towels/cloths, etc. It was nice to replace some of those, and also have extras stored away. The thing we use the least, is probably our iron & ironing board. My dad stayed with us recently and used it once. Unfortunately, this is the most it's been used. I'd say, that's really the only thing that we registered for that we don't get much use out of. 

One gift I *really* feel guilty for not using, but I love, is a pot and pan set we got from my grandparents. I even have a drawer *just* for this set. They're amazing, but I'm mortified I'm going to somehow wreck them. We have an okay set already, and no, I haven't wrecked those, and cook often, but I've had them forever, and don't worry because they were like $200. This set was $1000, and I've used them once. :( I don't know what's going to get me over this fear, but I need to figure something out!! :S 

I'd say you're safe with the upgrades for sure. Especially because you know what you do & don't already use! Towels & bedding are both nice to have extras of too. Other than those, I think you have a good plan of trying to envision what you'll get the most use out of, prior to adding it to your list! :)

*J
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    AprilH81 said:
    This used more than I thought:
    • The Griddler (Cuisinart):  This is a countertop grill with removable plates (super easy clean up) that DH uses about once a week to make paninis or to grill hot dogs when it is just the two of us.  We also bought the waffle plates but haven't used those yet.
    • Low Bowls from our bone china...  These didn't come as part of the place settings and we bought them with our completion discount during a big sale.  We use them for salads, pasta, and soups and I really like them.
    • Corningwear bakeware.  They were bought off the registry as a Christmas gift and I haven't used them yet. That being said, we've only been married 3 months and haven't entertained since then since we put the house up for sale.
    Everyone has different priorities and ours were nice plates and pots and pans.  Neither were bought by guests so we bought them ourselves using gift cards, Christmas money and wedding gift money.

Not EVERYTHING on your registry has to be practical unless you live in a small house/apartment with little storage space.

Ugh, stuck in the box. Thinking about the Griddler makes me want bacon now :) Low bowls are great--I added those to our regular dishware too. Cereal bowls are OK for pasta and stirfry, but they don't quite do the trick. It is interesting to see different priorities on a registry. When I was browsing my cousin's registry, I was totally thinking, "What?! You'd rather have a gigantic fancy turkey fryer than a really nice stainless steel roaster??" I'm sure there are things we didn't want that folks might wonder about.

We do live in a "house" that's more the size of an apartment, but I wanted to at least start a fine china collection even if we didn't get all of it, especially with Macy's sales. Next year we'll be graduating, looking for jobs, and hopefully moving closer to our families and into a space where we can put a china cabinet which I would love. That, and the raclette party grill, which we could really see our friends getting a kick out of, were the most "nonpractical" items we registered for, but I know I'll want the china for special occasions and it will last a lifetime.
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    CMGragain said:
    After 37 years, I still have the wall clock that my co-workers gave to us, and I often use the Waterford cut glass vase, since DH is into gardening, and likes bringing me flowers.  Most other gifts are long gone.
    Those are the types of gifts my parents still have as well after their 35th. I'd thought about registering for a Waterford piece since they're always so lovely and it's a popular wedding gift in my Irish family, but right now there's no space in our small house where I could see putting it...perhaps something to splurge on for an anniversary :)

FI and I also like gardening, but we live in a state with severe drought and we're still new to plant care, so the flowers don't happen quite so much. Someday though!
  • Aray82 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    This used more than I thought:

Ugh, stuck in the box. Thinking about the Griddler makes me want bacon now :) Low bowls are great--I added those to our regular dishware too. Cereal bowls are OK for pasta and stirfry, but they don't quite do the trick. It is interesting to see different priorities on a registry. When I was browsing my cousin's registry, I was totally thinking, "What?! You'd rather have a gigantic fancy turkey fryer than a really nice stainless steel roaster??" I'm sure there are things we didn't want that folks might wonder about.

We do live in a "house" that's more the size of an apartment, but I wanted to at least start a fine china collection even if we didn't get all of it, especially with Macy's sales. Next year we'll be graduating, looking for jobs, and hopefully moving closer to our families and into a space where we can put a china cabinet which I would love. That, and the raclette party grill, which we could really see our friends getting a kick out of, were the most "nonpractical" items we registered for, but I know I'll want the china for special occasions and it will last a lifetime.
    Our registry was mostly for entertaining items (placemats, drink servers, etc.) because I have gotten some really lovely birthday/Christmas gifts from my parents over the years.  My parents got me a Kitchen Aide mixer last year, a knife set the year before, an awesome Iron for my birthday about 4 years ago...  A lot of the traditional registry items we already had and didn't need to upgrade yet so that allowed us to go a little more to the "fun" side of things with things that were nice to have but not necessities.  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • csuavecsuave member

We needed new bedding since we got a king when we moved in together/married.  I love the plush blanket we got.  Even if we had an old blanket, this would have made a fabulous upgrade.

We also got the following upgrades that we constantly use: towels, vacuum, coffee maker, cookie sheets, George Forman with removable plates, really nice garbage can in a space saving design.  DH already had knives so we didn't register for those but we do use them all the time.

Useful things that were new to us: over the door pantry rack, over the door hooks, towel storage tower, shoe storage bench, front door clean step mat/rug, ring holder, 8x10 frame for wedding picture, more lunch size Fiesta plates, drawer dividers, recycling bins.

The things that we use the least are the tea kettle and food processor.

• Aray82Aray82 member
    csuave said:

We needed new bedding since we got a king when we moved in together/married.  I love the plush blanket we got.  Even if we had an old blanket, this would have made a fabulous upgrade.

We also got the following upgrades that we constantly use: towels, vacuum, coffee maker, cookie sheets, George Forman with removable plates, really nice garbage can in a space saving design.  DH already had knives so we didn't register for those but we do use them all the time.

Useful things that were new to us: over the door pantry rack, over the door hooks, towel storage tower, shoe storage bench, front door clean step mat/rug, ring holder, 8x10 frame for wedding picture, more lunch size Fiesta plates, drawer dividers, recycling bins.

The things that we use the least are the tea kettle and food processor.

We recently got a king as well, so I registered for a set of flannel sheets for winter. And oddly enough, I am pretty excited about the nice garbage can we added :) I'd be really surprised if anyone actually got it, but it's definitely something I'd get with the completion discount.
  • My mom still has the mixing bowl set she got at her shower 46 years ago.   My sister and I "fight" over who will get them.  They are not even that pretty to look at.  It's just been apart of our lives forever I would be sad to see them go.  She has a lot of other kitchen stuff still around too.   Stuff lasted longer back then.

We use most of stuff .  We also have the griddler and use it often.    One of my parent's friends made us a sign with our last name spelled out in marine flag letters   It's the first thing DH hangs up when we move into a new place.

One things we never use is the decanter.  I still wonder why we registered for that.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We pretty much use all gifts that we were given.  We mainly registered for upgrades such as new sheets, new dishes, new cooking utensils, etc, etc.  When we got the upgrades we got rid of the old stuff.  I think the only thing that we registered for and got that we don't use is the oven mitt.  H wanted one for some reason that I don't quite understand.  He doesn't cook so not sure what he would be taking out of the over that would constitute a mitt.

• Aray82Aray82 member
    edited May 2014
    We pretty much use all gifts that we were given.  We mainly registered for upgrades such as new sheets, new dishes, new cooking utensils, etc, etc.  When we got the upgrades we got rid of the old stuff.  I think the only thing that we registered for and got that we don't use is the oven mitt.  H wanted one for some reason that I don't quite understand.  He doesn't cook so not sure what he would be taking out of the over that would constitute a mitt.
    When I met FI, he was using PAPER TOWELS as oven mitts. I still have to remind him sometimes that they exist, we have some, and that he should seriously consider using them. He actually cooks quite a bit, so I'm not sure what the paper towel thing was all about. I added a newer and better quality one with silicone to the registry--even if he still doesn't get what it's for, at least I'll appreciate it!

ETA: I never saw him using the paper towels, but I did see him reach for them on multiple occasions the first time he had me over for dinner. This leads me to believe that it was not a one-time thing : O
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    lyndausvi said:
    My mom still has the mixing bowl set she got at her shower 46 years ago.   My sister and I "fight" over who will get them.  They are not even that pretty to look at.  It's just been apart of our lives forever I would be sad to see them go.  She has a lot of other kitchen stuff still around too.   Stuff lasted longer back then.

We use most of stuff .  We also have the griddler and use it often.    One of my parent's friends made us a sign with our last name spelled out in marine flag letters   It's the first thing DH hangs up when we move into a new place.

One things we never use is the decanter.  I still wonder why we registered for that.
    Yeah, we would really have no space to put a decanter. And doesn't it basically do the same thing as an aerator? Besides that, I like having my classy Yellow Tail and Little Penguin bottles out for display :)
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The Keriug is used almost everyday.  

There is some pyrex bakeware that is still in the box 3.5 years later.  I'm hanging onto it though to replace any breakage we might have.  

The down comforter barely got used because the Navy decided to send us to the deep south.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • the only thing we don't use (but knew we wouldn't use much anyway) was our china.  I am happy to have it though and look forward to the day I do get to use it all!   Other than that we have pretty much used everything at least once.  A lot of items are not everyday day items anyway, but it is nice to have it when it is needed.  We don't use the french press as much as we thought we would.  It is just easier to use the Keurig.  

Anniversary
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    erinlin25 said:
    the only thing we don't use (but knew we wouldn't use much anyway) was our china.  I am happy to have it though and look forward to the day I do get to use it all!   Other than that we have pretty much used everything at least once.  A lot of items are not everyday day items anyway, but it is nice to have it when it is needed.  We don't use the french press as much as we thought we would.  It is just easier to use the Keurig.  

Stuck in box: That's pretty much what I expect from ours too. China's one of those things that I know I'll want to have and would be glad that it's there for special occasions even if it doesn't get used a lot. And the French press would be great for having people over and making a bigger pot but not a lot of our friends are coffee drinkers and we could make coffee/tea/hot cocoa with the Keurig as well.
  • OMG the Cuisinart Griddler is the best thing ever.

That's all I have to contribute, since my showers aren't until July. But it's seriously amazing. You can even use it to sear steaks and then finish them in the oven.

• Aray82Aray82 member
    OMG the Cuisinart Griddler is the best thing ever.

That's all I have to contribute, since my showers aren't until July. But it's seriously amazing. You can even use it to sear steaks and then finish them in the oven.
    Hmm...I have a griddle pan on there, but I may have to look up this contraption :)
  • We've only had our first shower, but among the 40+ gifts we've received, I find we're using these the most (omitted obvious ones like new dishes, wine glasses, flatware, towels, etc):

*Le Creuset dutch oven - LOVE this thing!
    *Glass nesting bowl set - personally, I work better when I can get all of my ingredients prepped and ready to go beforehand
    *OXO silicone drying mats - nice not having to leave soggy dishtowels all over the counter
    *OXO pop containers - these are great
    *Blade and disc holder for our food processor
    *Cookbook Stand/holder
    *Magazine basket
    *Zojirushi rice maker
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    We've only had our first shower, but among the 40+ gifts we've received, I find we're using these the most (omitted obvious ones like new dishes, wine glasses, flatware, towels, etc):

*Le Creuset dutch oven - LOVE this thing!
    *Glass nesting bowl set - personally, I work better when I can get all of my ingredients prepped and ready to go beforehand
    *OXO silicone drying mats - nice not having to leave soggy dishtowels all over the counter
    *OXO pop containers - these are great
    *Blade and disc holder for our food processor
    *Cookbook Stand/holder
    *Magazine basket
    *Zojirushi rice maker
    The Le Creuset Dutch oven is one of my "big ticket" items and I'd be stoked to have it! I also registered for a cookbook stand that covers both books and iPads since I get so many of my recipes from Pintrest now. Zojirushi is a great brand; I registered for two of their thermal travel mugs, which are pricey for mugs but our guests know we're teachers/grad students and bring lots of coffee and tea to campus!
  • I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that I bought years ago. We use it more than any other piece in our kitchen. I also have an LC grill pan that gets a lot of use. A griddler wouldn't get a lot of use and while I have a nice George Foreman with removable plates, we never think to use it.

I'm hoping for the LC brasier plan and the ice cream maker for my KitchenAid mixer...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that I bought years ago. We use it more than any other piece in our kitchen. I also have an LC grill pan that gets a lot of use. A griddler wouldn't get a lot of use and while I have a nice George Foreman with removable plates, we never think to use it.

I'm hoping for the LC brasier plan and the ice cream maker for my KitchenAid mixer...

Stuck in box: EBay is also worth checking out for Le Creuset too!
  • LeCreuset anything is amazing and totally worth the money.

• Le Creuset outlet stores also tend to have great sales as well!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My first wedding (10 years ago this week) I registered for Noritake "everyday" china rather than the fancier china that would never get used. It's caused some uproar with my ex's grandmother but I knew that I was getting my grandmother's and that he (we - now my daughter) was getting his other grandmother's china so we just didn't need it. I still use the set I got for that wedding. I registered for a few replacement pieces that have broken this time around. When I moved out 3 years ago, I found cake plates and all kinds of things that we got from our wedding that were never even touched once. I love the idea of thinking about 5 specific times in the past year that you would have used it before registering for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards