Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

License Witnesses

Has anyone had someone other than their MOH & BM sign marriage license as witness? I have 2 MOH's, so I was trying to decide which one I should ask to sign the license. But, then FI and I were discussing it and thinking it may be nice to ask both of our mothers to sign as witnesses instead. We know it would probably mean a lot to them, it's a good way to include them in the day and have them show their support, and years from now when they aren't around anymore, it would probably mean more to us than having our siblings or friends signature.

Re: License Witnesses

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I think that's a lovely idea.
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yep. We didn't have a wedding party, so we had our brothers sign. It was important to us to have them do it, but really, no one ever looks at our license, so you could choose any adult.
  • We wanted to have our parents sign, but then we forgot to make our wishes known and our minister gave it to our WP to sign while we were finishing pictures.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Do you even need witnesses?  Not every state requires them.  

If you do it doesn't matter who does it as long as they are adults who witnessed your wedding.  My husband was the best man in a wedding but when it came time to sign the license he wasn't available (he had been directed to go somewhere else) so they just had someone else sign.  Like a PP said if you go that route make sure people know that is what you plan so the right people are available.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Check to make sure you need witnesses. In PA, unless it's self-uniting, you don't need witnesses; only the officiant signs.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • We are going to have one parent from each side sign it (probably our moms).
  • FI and I were talking about having our brothers do it, since FI has co-bestmen (one was his brother) and I'm really close to my brother, who happens to be a groomsman. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're not having a wedding party so we're going to ask our fathers to sign.
  • I think having both mom's do it is very sweet (and no hurt feelings in the bridal party)
  • No wedding party here so we're each having our sisters sign (one sister each). I think it's a lovely idea to have the mothers sign it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards