Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

B and G photos- AWish?

I've basically entered this frame of mind where every idea I have for the wedding I think is too AWish, so I'm having trouble making decisions. 

We didn't do engagement photos because (for the most part, not always) my experience with friends has been that they are extremely AWish.*  I wanted to do some creative thing for the guestbook, but have finally come back around and decided that the traditional, simple method of having everyone sign a photo book is probably the best one.  Since we didn't do e-pics, I thought we might do a book of our favorite photos of us from our pre-wedding relationship (we've been together 6 years).  This would be something we would probably actually like to look at again, and it's not too AWish because it's for us, right?

My other question is: do you think it is AWish to have photos of the bride and groom at age 1 at Table 1, etc.? (two photos per table).  When I came across this idea I thought it was really cute.  But then, I don't know- is it too much?  We definitely don't want to do one of those slideshows or video montages so I thought it might be a nice way to display some pics?

*No offense to everyone who did e-pics!  We have a lot of.. stuck up type circles that have ruined it for me. (Ex: buy my FI a motorcycle so we can ride on it in our e-pics and post e-pics on facebook every week of us riding off into the sunset accompanied by cheesy quotes.)  Or the type who hang 40 essentially-the-same e-pics of themselves all over their house.  (maybe I shouldn't be judging what they do in their own house, but whatever!)

Sorry for the overuse of the term AWish :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: B and G photos- AWish?

• Options
    I like the photobooks for a guest book! Like you said it gives you a reason to look through it in the future. The table pictures are cute, but it seems like a lot of work. I'm sure people would think they're sweet, but I'm not sure it would be worth all the work it would take to get it done. Unless you only have like 7-8 tables.
  • Options
    I think it''s cute. It doesn't force everyone to look at a bunch of pics, and it's not in-your-face.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    afaber24 said:
    I like the photobooks for a guest book! Like you said it gives you a reason to look through it in the future. The table pictures are cute, but it seems like a lot of work. I'm sure people would think they're sweet, but I'm not sure it would be worth all the work it would take to get it done. Unless you only have like 7-8 tables.

Oh, it wouldn't be a lot of work.  Trust me you'd probably be rolling your eyes at a lot of the details I'm DIY'ing- I have a major problem :)  You reminded me of another good point though-  the #10-18 or so tables could have some very awkward photos haha.  Thanks for weighing in!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You're allowed to be a little AWish at your wedding (just a little!). Your table idea and guestbook idea aren't over the top.
  • Options
    This is one of the rare times to say it, but it's your wedding I think you're allowed to be a little AWish.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I like the age = table numbers idea. I don't think it's AWish at all. I wouldn't do it, only because ahahahaha oh my god I was such a horribly awkward ugly kid. Like, we could get up to maybe age 8 and then we'd have to stop.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    afaber24 said:

Oh, it wouldn't be a lot of work.  Trust me you'd probably be rolling your eyes at a lot of the details I'm DIY'ing- I have a major problem :)  You reminded me of another good point though-  the #10-18 or so tables could have some very awkward photos haha.  Thanks for weighing in!

We did pictures of us at that age as the table numbers. It was kinda a pain to collect the pictures (H is the youngest and a lot of his pictures were still on rolls of film never developed!) but I did finally find all 1-18 pictures of each of us, and they were definitely a hit! And there were most definitely plenty of awkard teenage pictures of us, but that added to the fun!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I like the guest book idea, however I don't personally like the ages table numbers. I have been to weddings where there are pictures on the table and I always think it looks weird, but that's just me. 
  • Options
    FI and I didn't do engagement photos either. But I did make a personalized photo guest book for people to sign. I don't think it's AWish. It will be on a table out of the way. If people want to look through all of the pictures of us over 6 years of our relationship, they can. If they don't, they can just sign a random page (or not) and move on.

We aren't doing photos at tables or a slideshow or anything like that. I'm not a fan of forced slideshows, but I think photos at the tables could be ok. It's one of those things people can ignore or look at depending on their mood.
  • Options

I think engagement photos are an excellent way to get more comfortable around your photographer prior to your wedding day.

Photos are always better when the couple looks really relaxed, as opposed to all nervous and awkward.

'Just something to keep in mind. We had ours done and plan on using them for nothing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I agree with PPs. The very fact that you're even worried about coming across like an AW tells me that chances are you are NOT going to give off that vibe at your wedding. People can smell attention-mongering when it's present, and it sounds like your goal isn't, "Check us out! We were SO FUCKING CUTE when we were 6, bwahahaha!" 

And for the record, I think the table numbers/ages thing is cute, but I also agree with @Phira that it would be a no-go for me due to my awkward youth. :)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    I like the pictures of the B&G at the age of each table number idea.  As for the guest book, I think that's probably fine, too.  Personally, I would pick one or the other, but you are probably OK to do both.
  • Options
    I like the guest book idea, however I don't personally like the ages table numbers. I have been to weddings where there are pictures on the table and I always think it looks weird, but that's just me. 
    See I'm the opposite.  I like the age table numbers.  What can I say I like looking a old pictures with outdated clothing and hair styles.

I'm not a fan of guest book with pictures of the couple for people to write on.  It's weird to me.   What we did was have the guests sign/write on pieces on card stock I made myself.  Each card had a spot for a picture.   After the wedding I filled in the spot a picture of the guest/couple who signed that page.  I would say I was able to get shot of 95% of just the guest or couple.   The other 5% were in group shots.     I love going through my photo guest book.   3 of my guests have passed away, one died only a month after my wedding. I love looking at the picture of the 2 of us and the note she left.    

IDK, maybe it's just me, but an entire photo book of just DH and I with guests signing would have been too AW for us.    I rather a picture guest book be pictures of the guests.  The wedding album was mostly just us.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone, this is helpful learning what different guests impressions might be.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TeddiD34 said:

I think engagement photos are an excellent way to get more comfortable around your photographer prior to your wedding day.

Photos are always better when the couple looks really relaxed, as opposed to all nervous and awkward.

'Just something to keep in mind. We had ours done and plan on using them for nothing.

Samesies.
  • Options
    That's a good point.  None of the photographers we were interested in included engagement photos, and we decided we didn't want to budget for them when we already have a million photos of us together.  Hopefully we will be comfortable enough around her for the wedding- not sure why we wouldn't be.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think weddings bring out AW behavior in a ton of people. Some of it is socially acceptable and depends on your comfort level.

For example: I HATE it when couples plaster their names everywhere: on photos, on menus, on favors. It drives me nuts. Why does the tote bag you're handing out for your guests to take home have to have your name on it? To me, that's screaming AWish. To someone like FMIL, it's a keepsake to be treasured for all eternity.
  • Options
    Has everyone seen the movie Old School?

As long as you don't mount massive portraits of yourself over your head table, I'm all good. 

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    What we did was have the guests sign/write on pieces on card stock I made myself.  Each card had a spot for a picture.   After the wedding I filled in the spot a picture of the guest/couple who signed that page.  I would say I was able to get shot of 95% of just the guest or couple.   The other 5% were in group shots.     I love going through my photo guest book.   3 of my guests have passed away, one died only a month after my wedding. I love looking at the picture of the 2 of us and the note she left.    

IDK, maybe it's just me, but an entire photo book of just DH and I with guests signing would have been too AW for us.    I rather a picture guest book be pictures of the guests.  The wedding album was mostly just us.
    I love this idea!  I may steal it.  My original guest book was going to be a counted cross stitch design of a landmark where we are getting married and I was going to have my guests sign the mat.  Unfortunately, my sister who was stitching the design for us HATES the pattern and has encountered a few delays in stitching so it won't be done in time for the wedding...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ShellD13 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    What we did was have the guests sign/write on pieces on card stock I made myself.  Each card had a spot for a picture.   After the wedding I filled in the spot a picture of the guest/couple who signed that page.  I would say I was able to get shot of 95% of just the guest or couple.   The other 5% were in group shots.     I love going through my photo guest book.   3 of my guests have passed away, one died only a month after my wedding. I love looking at the picture of the 2 of us and the note she left.    

I love this idea!  I may steal it.  My original guest book was going to be a counted cross stitch design of a landmark where we are getting married and I was going to have my guests sign the mat.  Unfortunately, my sister who was stitching the design for us HATES the pattern and has encountered a few delays in stitching so it won't be done in time for the wedding...
    Go for it.

I bought a 8x8 scrapbook and extra pages from Michael's   

Something like this:

Then with publisher I made 8x8 pages slip into the packets.  Each page had a "insert picture here" spot. I made a mix of portrait and landscape spaces.  I had them printed at Staples.  Below  is a picture of the clip boards and pens I had for people to write on the pages.  I have to say I had about 95% capture rate.  The few I didn't get I still put a picture of them in the book.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

ShellD13 said:

lyndausvi said:

Go for it.

I bought a 8x8 scrapbook and extra pages from Michael's   

Something like this:

Then with publisher I made 8x8 pages slip into the packets.  Each page had a "insert picture here" spot. I made a mix of portrait and landscape spaces.  I had them printed at Staples.  Below  is a picture of the clip boards and pens I had for people to write on the pages.  I have to say I had about 95% capture rate.  The few I didn't get I still put a picture of them in the book.

love!

• Options
    @lolo883 - thanks. I had 2 photographers for like 10 hours and got something like 1700 photos. I made it very clear I didn't want both of them following me around all god damn night. I wanted shots of my guests. I get so much joy looking at our guest book. They had such huge smiles and had so much fun even with the storm being there. We still get comments on how fun it was. I can only look at so many pictures of DH and I - LOL.

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member

afaber24 said:

We did pictures of us at that age as the table numbers. It was kinda a pain to collect the pictures (H is the youngest and a lot of his pictures were still on rolls of film never developed!) but I did finally find all 1-18 pictures of each of us, and they were definitely a hit! And there were most definitely plenty of awkard teenage pictures of us, but that added to the fun!
    My daughter did this as well.  It did take them a bit of time.  They also tried to pair the age with a specific "look".  For example, at one age a picture of both of them at Halloween, or at age 6, a picture of the first day of school, or, at age 4, a picture with Santa or something.  They did find a way to avoid some of their awkward, less-than-cute middle school years.  They simply skipped on the ages of 11, 12, and 13.  Their table numbers jumped from 10 to 14!
  • Options
    Sorry but what in the heck does AWish mean? I've seen it mentioned but didn't think much about it but now I'm thoroughly confused?!
  • Options
    Sorry but what in the heck does AWish mean? I've seen it mentioned but didn't think much about it but now I'm thoroughly confused?!

*** SIB **

Attention Whore

• Options
    wmam35wmam35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    I agree with PP's - you can be a little AWish on your wedding day, as long as it isn't out of control!  I think your guestbook idea sounds awesome, and the table numbers with pictures is cute too.  Just tossing an idea out - we had our wedding in Philadelphia, and named the tables after different historical sites and tourist destinations, and then used pictures of us at each location for the table numbers.  Sure, it took a few hours to get the pictures, but we have great memories of spending the day taking pictures, and people thought they were cool!  Best of luck with your planning!
  • Options
    Ahhh thanks @lyndausvi‌ would never have figured that out on my own!
  • Options
    We did a guest book photobook that was a mix of e-pics and pictures of us throughout our relationship.

My friends had pictures of themselves at each table, I don't think it's AWish!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    wabanziwabanzi member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Has everyone seen the movie Old School?

As long as you don't mount massive portraits of yourself over your head table, I'm all good. 
    This. I was at my venue last Friday while another couple was setting up for their Saturday wedding. Giant pictures of them all through the grand hall and receiving area (about 30 pictures in all, each about 2' x 3'). All were from their engagement session too, so not a lot of variety. It creeped me out. I felt eyes following me.

OP: I made a scrapbook type of guest book with pictures from our 13 years together (about eight 4x6 photos in all) with plenty of blank space to sign (and eventually fill in with more pics after the wedding).  And we are having table "years" (kind of like ages) with pics of us with family from that year (double sided frame, one pic of me/one pic of FI).  So obviously I think your idea is good!  I like looking at old photos and I know our family will enjoy them.  They were not a lot of work either.  But that is it for photos of ourselves.  No giant pictures posted about with eyes following you...
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards