Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Accessories, how much is too much?

Hello all!

Curious about your wedding accessories.  I'm in the process of shopping for mine.  I want to do some sparkly chandelier-type earrings, probably a more understated necklace (nothing big and clunky, my dress has a lot of lace and beading), probably a jeweled hair comb (but nothing too big), a veil (simple), and I'm debating a bracelet so my arms aren't left out.  Is this too much?  I really want to let the dress speak for itself and do most of the "work" toward my overall look, because it's so beautiful and I love it.. but I like a good balance when it comes to accessories.  So, let me know what you think and/or share your own looks!

Thanks!

Re: Accessories, how much is too much?

• Options
    I'm wearing pearl and crystal drop earrings and a double stranded pearl bracelet. That's it.

Do you have photos of your dress?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I wore diamond stud earrings, a diamond pendant necklace, and a two strand diamond tennis bracelet. I think if you keep your necklace and bracelet simple then add chandelier earrings it would be perfect. Depending on the top of your dress you may not even need a necklace. I also had a beaded sash and a veil.
  • Options
    Here's a link, hope this works..

So, the bodice area is pretty bead-y and whatnot, and the back is lace and beads.  Definitely won't be wearing a choker, like that model hahaha.  The only reason I want a necklace is because I am fairly top heavy so I'm hoping that detracts from that a little bit?  

I really feel like this is one of those dilemmas that ultimately won't be a big deal, but oh well.
  • Options
    Yeah, WTF is up with the model's choker? Anyway, I would not wear a necklace with that dress (full disclosure - I rarely like necklaces with wedding gowns because I think necklines and shoulders look infinitely more elegant and graceful). You've got an intricate top on that dress, and I would not want to take away from that. Honestly, I think putting a necklace there will draw more attention to your chest and away from the dress as a whole. I say grab some knockout earrings and a simple bracelet or two and you're set.
  • Options
    PDKH said:
    Yeah, WTF is up with the model's choker? Anyway, I would not wear a necklace with that dress (full disclosure - I rarely like necklaces with wedding gowns because I think necklines and shoulders look infinitely more elegant and graceful). You've got an intricate top on that dress, and I would not want to take away from that. Honestly, I think putting a necklace there will draw more attention to your chest and away from the dress as a whole. I say grab some knockout earrings and a simple bracelet or two and you're set.
    Me too!

I would wear a nice pair of earrings, a simple bracelet and a hair comb along with your veil.  Skip the necklace.

• Options
    Yep, I'm another one who prefers pretty earrings and a bracelet (but no necklace) with wedding gowns. Elegant simplicity ftw!
  • Options
    I agree with that dress that I wouldn't wear a necklace. I wore one with my dress, but it was a small gold chain with a 1/2 carat diamond solitaire slide on it. It is barely noticeable, but the necklace is special to me. I think earrings and a bracelet would be perfect with your dress.
  • Options
    I agree with that dress that I wouldn't wear a necklace. I wore one with my dress, but it was a small gold chain with a 1/2 carat diamond solitaire slide on it. It is barely noticeable, but the necklace is special to me. I think earrings and a bracelet would be perfect with your dress.
    These are usually the only necklace styles I don't mind with wedding gowns. Simple, elegant, and just a touch of shine. 
  • Options
    Thanks all!  That's kind of the way I was leaning.. either no necklace or very small and understated.  Appreciate the input.
  • Options

I agree with doing a simple necklace and letting the dress be the start of the show. 

Another thing to note with wearing a bracelet, be careful with what type you get.  My dress is organza also and my seamstress warned me to be careful with bracelets or if FI is wearing cuff links because she sees a lot of people come in needing repairs with dresses ripped from these items. Organza or chiffon type materials are really easy to snag on jewelry. I hadn't really considered that until she mentioned it and now I am slightly worried about my FI's gun shaped cufflinks.  So, if you wear one, make sure your bracelet doesn't have any corners that could snag on the dress and rip it, or be careful if you do have something that could snag on it.

• Options
    I don't think you need a necklace! Unless it was like a single sparkle/pearl/diamond whatever..I think really the only time I like necklaces with wedding dresses is if it's a very simple dress and the necklace is serving as a statement piece.

Chandelier type earrings and a bracelet would be nice! Pretty dress :)
  • Options
    my dress is a similar style..... i'll be wearing a pearl necklace and earrings because they were what my mom wore at her wedding..... also an elbow-length veil for the ceremony to be replaced likely with a flower for the reception. 

here are a couple pics. veil supplied by the shop (not the one i'll be going with, but similar) and one where you can see the whole dress, actual necklace in both :)
  • Options
    Less is more.  The traditional bridal jewelry is simple pearls.  I think those huge chandelier earrings and statement necklaces are a passing fad.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Pearls are very pretty and were something I'd considered. And to be clear, the earrings aren't super huge, but they are dangly. Depending on my hair, that could change. So many decisions, haha. leideigh--beautiful dress!
  • Options
    @jaime232 - don't worry too much about wearing something that may or may not be a "passing fad." Wear what you love now because 99% of the time what we wear now will look "dated" in 20 or so years just like all those crazy puffy sleeves and cowboy hats with veils that were popular back in the 80's look like today. There really is no way to prevent your wedding to look dated after a couple of decades, but you get to look back on your day and remember exactly how you and your FI were like on the day you got married.

• Options
    Take all your jewelry with you to final fitting & see if it's too much. Heck you can always decide the day of your wedding to keep or ditch the necklace.
  • Options
    @KnotPorscha

@Knottie3055914 You are a vendor and not allowed to post here; it is against the terms of service you agreed to when you made your account. Happy Banning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards