Attire & Accessories Forum

Carry-on dress on Southwest?

I just picked up my dress & veil, but I live in Miami and my wedding is in Connecticut.  We have a few options, none of them ideal - send the dress back with my Dad on Southwest when he comes down for a visit or drive it up in the back of the car in May when we move up north. 

The drive worries me since I'd want to take it out of the car every night and bring it in the hotel, and we stop so much at rest stops and such.  I'd just worry less if it was already up north!

Has anyone had experience taking a wedding dress on Southwest?  How did it work?  Anyone know any other airlines that are better, and if so, why?  How would you recommend I transport it?

Thanks!!!

Anniversary

Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest?

• I don't have any experience with South West but I flew with my dress to and from Ireland on Air Canada and everything went smoothly. I was able to keep it in a crew closet on board.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I personally would ship it beforehand through a carrier with insurance.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does southwest have a first class section?  If so you may be able to store the dress in the first class coat closet.  I've heard of people laying them over the caryons in the overhead storage.  It'd probably be easiest to have your dad take it, or ship it there and just plan to have the dress brought in to get steamed.

By the way your dress is very pretty!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • No way would I ship it.  Even with it insured if they lose it you'd be screwed because you probably won't be able to reorder the dress and get it fitted in time.  I would send it on the plane with Dad.  I'm doing a destination wedding in Playa del Carmen.  We leave Sunday morning and my dress is my "personal item".  I will hang it in the closet if they let me but if not it will go across the top of the overhead on top of the luggage.
  • I'd fly it back with your Dad.
    Anniversary
  • How big is it?  The one in your sig looks pretty voluminous - I'd be somewhat worried about it fitting in the closet of an airplane and I definately wouldn't want to put it with the carryons - someone would smash it.  

This seems silly but I'll say it anyway - have you thought about buying it a seat?
  • Have you called the airline to see what they recommend and if it would be allowed to be carried on vs having to be checked?

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_carry-on-dress-on-southwest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:322859e8-86dd-47a4-97bc-99aa1278cc4ePost:ea2b0e7a-bf5d-45e1-a1c6-b8d75d923f38">Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How big is it?  The one in your sig looks pretty voluminous - I'd be somewhat worried about it fitting in the closet of an airplane and I definately  wouldn't want to put it with the carryons - someone would smash it.   This seems silly but I'll say it anyway - have you thought about buying it a seat?
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]

I've thought about it, yes, just trying to see if that's necessary before I spend the money!

It would definitely be the only carry-on.  And it squishes pretty easily as it's all tulle, so it can definitely fit in an overhead compartment if necessary (would obviously prefer some sort of closet, but Southwest does not have a First Class.  I do think they have a closet for flight attendants to store their things, so maybe a nice flight attendant would put it in there?

With Southwest, he could pay $30 to board the plane as one of the first 10 people so as to be sure to get overhead space.

Anniversary

• Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I took my dress on Southwest and it was no problem at all. I called them in advance just to check their policies and everything was fine. Everyone was very friendly and they told me that I should be able to hang up the dress in a closet or lay it flat in the overhead bin by itself. Getting your dress through security sucks, but I think it's better than shipping it.

I did pay the extra money for the early-bird check-in (it was only $10, has that changed?) but it's really not even worth that. Just make sure you check-in online exactly 24 hours in advance. I've ended up ahead of the early-bird just by doing this.

Of course, the day I flew with my dress we were running late and ended up being the last people on the plane anyway. Luckily the flight was not even close to full and we still had a completely empty overhead bin just for my dress. Which I think was nicer than the closet but I would've taken whatever I could get at that point.

ETA: Your dress is pretty voluminous. If you don't think it will fit in a closet or overhead bin, I would buy it a seat before I shipped it. Southwest seats aren't that expensive and you'll worry less than with shipping it I'd imagine.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_carry-on-dress-on-southwest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:322859e8-86dd-47a4-97bc-99aa1278cc4ePost:cdec8cc7-e03d-4569-a888-a1c17df0a809">Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest? : But what if other passengers just smush it putting their carry ons up there?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Possible, but if it's my Dad taking it on the plane, he's going to take up a whole overhead bin, close it, and protect it like a guard dog!  Haha

Ana, good to see you pop up!  Thanks for the Southwest insight.  I was told $30 for early check in, but to be honest, I haven't checked it and I've never done that myself.  I'm glad their policies are okay.  They tend to be pretty accomodating as an airline!

What was a pain in the neck about security?  As I won't be flying with the dress, I want to know what to advise my Dad about.  Thank you!

Anniversary

• Well, it might not be so bad for your dad. It was tough for me to carry it around the airport after awhile because it was so long and heavy.

When he goes through the scanner, he'll probably have to open up the bag. It might be a good idea to stuff a big piece of clear plastic in the garment bag so that he can cover up the dress to prevent it from getting dirty on the belt. That's what I did. It takes time to get it all opened and closed again, but most people were really polite when they saw the wedding dress so it was okay.

And hey!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_carry-on-dress-on-southwest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:322859e8-86dd-47a4-97bc-99aa1278cc4ePost:7e11487e-d124-4f10-95bf-4a1f39952e4c">Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, it might not be so bad for your dad. It was tough for me to carry it around the airport after awhile because it was so long and heavy. When he goes through the scanner, he'll probably have to open up the bag. It might be a good idea to stuff a big piece of clear plastic in the garment bag so that he can cover up the dress to prevent it from getting dirty on the belt. That's what I did. It takes time to get it all opened and closed again, but most people were really polite when they saw the wedding dress so it was okay. And hey!
    Posted by Ana_2985[/QUOTE]

Good tip about the plastic - I was thinking of getting a plastic bag from a dry cleaner and wrapping the gown in that inside the garmet bag for the flight - think that will work?  I've heard it's bad to put the gown in plastic, but I can't imagine the duration of the flight would be a big deal.

My dress is (luckily) super light as it's almost entirely tulle with a bit of lace on the top layer and some boning in the bodice.  And I think my Dad can handle it!

Your wedding was gorgeous, by the way.  I stalked your pictures when you AW'd awhile back.  Belated congratulations!

Anniversary

• ceh789ceh789 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_carry-on-dress-on-southwest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:322859e8-86dd-47a4-97bc-99aa1278cc4ePost:455652ed-1c3a-47f6-b0b9-8177faedd7e8">Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest? : Good tip about the plastic - I was thinking of getting a plastic bag from a dry cleaner and wrapping the gown in that inside the garmet bag for the flight - think that will work?
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>I'd worry about the smell - how long will it be aired out after arriving before you wear it?  What if you bought a few yards of muslin or something?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_carry-on-dress-on-southwest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:322859e8-86dd-47a4-97bc-99aa1278cc4ePost:1f9227e1-ec53-4cf2-8894-012af6c857f5">Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest? : I'd worry about the smell - how long will it be aired out after arriving before you wear it?  What if you bought a few yards of muslin or something?
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]

It would be flying next week or in May.  It would be in plastic for approximately 6 hours.  It will be aired out anywhere from 3-6 months.  I dare say that's plenty of time!  We also have a steamer - I plan to steam it with a few drops of my essential oils fragrance that I wear in the water to absorb into the dress.  It's a trick a friend of mine does with her nice clothes, and it's really nice.

Anniversary

• I know this isn't the same, but my dad lives in Texas, and I live in Ohio and I had to get my bridesmaid dress from here to there, and I just took mine on the flight with me. I put it in the plastic bag, and then in a garment bag with a few dryer sheets. It came out fine. I didn't need it steamed or anything. Just wait til everybody has put everything they need in the overhead bins, then lay your dress across the top of everything. Orrrr...I'm sure if you ask nicely the flight attendant might be able to hang it up for you. 

Good luck! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_carry-on-dress-on-southwest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:322859e8-86dd-47a4-97bc-99aa1278cc4ePost:455652ed-1c3a-47f6-b0b9-8177faedd7e8">Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carry-on dress on Southwest? : Good tip about the plastic - I was thinking of getting a plastic bag from a dry cleaner and wrapping the gown in that inside the garmet bag for the flight - think that will work?  I've heard it's bad to put the gown in plastic, but I can't imagine the duration of the flight would be a big deal. My dress is (luckily) super light as it's almost entirely tulle with a bit of lace on the top layer and some boning in the bodice.  And I think my Dad can handle it! <strong>Your wedding was gorgeous, by the way.  I stalked your pictures when you AW'd awhile back.  Belated congratulations!</strong>
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

A plastic dry cleaner bag is exactly what I used, but I didn't really put the dress in the bag. We just spread the plastic over the dress and then stuffed the plastic to the bottom when we were through security. My dress was satin and the seamstress said it would be fine for the 2.5 hour flights but it would've been more of a hassle for us to get the dress out of the garment bag, into the plastic, and back again.

Good luck with everything!
  • Calindi, how did it go with your dress on southwest?  I know it was a few years ago, but I'm curious as I'm going to have the same problem with my dress next week on our flight to our wedding in San Juan.  I called Southwest and had the opposite experience - not helpful at all.  The "customer service" lady had no suggestions for me other than to stuff it in a carry on or check it.  She said that Southwest planes had "no where to hang a garment bag" due to the lack of first class, and if I gate checked it, it would roll around in the baggage compartment with the rest of the bags and potentially get damaged.  She was very unhelpful and made me rather panicked since my dress is very voluminious and I'm not sure I can stuff it in a carry on bag.  I'm definitely afraid to let it out of my sight to check it in a larger bag.  So how was your Dad's experience in the end?
  • I was Miss {State} a few years back.  I checked most of my competition wear, but carried on my evening gown.  The Southwest flight attendants gave me applause and hung it in a closet up front for me (since I was headed to Vegas, they thought it was a wedding dress!)  They were great about it all.  You'll probably get some attention because of it (wanted or unwanted!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards