Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Woes with Kohls

For anyone out there thinking about registering at Kohl's, I wanted to share my experience. 
I registered at Kohl's and Target for my wedding, and initially both places were easy to work with and fun to set up the registry. Both were very easy to manage online, adding and deleting items. 
Guests have told me that Kohl's was difficult to work with when purchasing gifts off the registry. I've heard that the kiosk didn't work and they couldn't print the list of items out to shop from. Even a few people said that while shopping online or in-store with a printed-out list, items weren't correctly applied to the registry or marked off. We received multiple duplicates of lots of gifts. Other guests told me they shopped without using the registry because of the hassle when they arrived at the store. This might have been the cause many things, from error on the part of the store or from my wedding guests. I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to technology, so I didn't think too much of it. 
That being said, the shower and the wedding came and went, and we ended up with a lot of duplicates and things we didn't need that weren't originally on the registry, a car full of stuff to return. We received about 15 Fiesta 5-piece place settings, way more than we needed. Some guests provided gift receipts, so that made returning things easier at Kohl's. But on the gifts that didn't come with gift receipts, it was ridiculous trying to return things. The place settings were on sale at Kohl's for $32.99 on the day of my returning these items, when regular price is $56.00. Without a gift receipt, the best they could give me was $12.60 for each setting, saying that was the "lowest sale price" and couldn't give me anything more. These place settings would never go on sale for $12.60 - that's just ridiculous. This was an item obviously bought at Kohl's, as they still had the Kohl's UPC stickers on them, and these items were on my registry. It was the biggest headache to return things to Kohl's, and I wouldn't accept $12.60 for those settings, which should have been at the very minimum double of that price. The attitudes of each of the clerks (we dealt with three in total that day) was uninterested and negative. 
Target on the other hand was easy peasy. No issues at all returning the few things we didn't need, and we received store merchandise credit for the full prices of each items. The gal who helped us had a wonderful demeanor and cheery smile. She was a delight to work with. 
I love Kohl's for everything other than their wedding registry. Their clothes, home and kitchen, and shoes sections are some of my favorites when I'm out shopping. But the headaches they caused my guests and myself prior to and after the wedding wasn't ideal. 
Just some advice from a bride who recently went through the registry process. I know I consulted this forum when I was thinking about my registry in the initial stages of wedding planning, so my hope is this helps someone make the best decision for them. 

Re: Woes with Kohls

• Options
    Returning for the lowest selling price without a receipt is a common practice. That wasn't unusual. But I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
  • Options
    I will never use Kohl's wedding registry again as a guest. I purchased a Kitchen Aide mixer that they never sent, eventually it was discovered the shipping label got stuck to another label. They refused to refund my purchase and insisted I needed to deal with Fed Ex, who never received the package. Eventually Fed Ex contacted Kohl's and straightened it out, Fed Ex was great and went beyond what they needed to.

Kohl's kept sending me form emails saying they were glad I was happy even though I kept saying I wash' and I wanted my money back. The gift arrived after the wedding and it was a disaster. I would never recommend using Kohl's for any bride.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards