Getting in Shape

Little victories :-)

So I just want to encourage some of you ladies--seems like you're always the last to notice when you've slimmed down. Today was my dress fitting. I thought we might need the bodice tightened a bit and maybe a little adjustment at the waist but not tons. My dress was positively swimming on me! It needs to be taken in by about a size or more.

What's funny is I literally have not been in the gym for months. We have been too busy to go in. Mostly a lot of housework/yardwork, lugging boxes, and alternating between being too sick/stressed out to eat much, I guess.

What's your little victory this week, girls? Sound off!

Re: Little victories :-)

• I've been maintaining weight instead of losing for the past few weeks, and I haven't had any time to go to the gym. I guess enjoying the weather got to me though- the scale finally budged today :)
  • Congrats on your success! Are you lifting weights? That will happen when you lift. While you are lifting, quite often you will steadily gain in both pounds and sometimes inches (depending on the person). If you are like me and slightly gain in inches when you lift, it is because you are retaining water. Your body is holding onto that water to repair your muscles as you are working them. When you stop lifting (usually it takes a 1 week hiatus from lifting for me), you'll notice a much bigger drop in your measurements.

When I first started lifting I remember I gained a whole inch on my waist in the first week and was feeling super discouraged and bloated. I also had to force myself to stop watching the scale because I knew the gain was muscle but it still annoyed me seeing the increase. After I took a 1 week break from lifting, I noticed that I had actually lost 2 inches off my waist!

As for my successes, I am just trying to maintain but I am trying to build some more muscle and am also training to run a 10k. For me, my success this week is that that annoying "arm flab" is finally almost all gone and I ran 5 miles the other day! woo!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Congrats on your success! Are you lifting weights? That will happen when you lift. While you are lifting, quite often you will steadily gain in both pounds and sometimes inches (depending on the person). If you are like me and slightly gain in inches when you lift, it is because you are retaining water. Your body is holding onto that water to repair your muscles as you are working them. When you stop lifting (usually it takes a 1 week hiatus from lifting for me), you'll notice a much bigger drop in your measurements.

When I first started lifting I remember I gained a whole inch on my waist in the first week and was feeling super discouraged and bloated. I also had to force myself to stop watching the scale because I knew the gain was muscle but it still annoyed me seeing the increase. After I took a 1 week break from lifting, I noticed that I had actually lost 2 inches off my waist!

As for my successes, I am just trying to maintain but I am trying to build some more muscle and am also training to run a 10k. For me, my success this week is that that annoying "arm flab" is finally almost all gone and I ran 5 miles the other day! woo!

Hey, thanks for this! I always knew that lifting can make you bigger before it makes you smaller, but I didn't realize that the water retention was actually a "thing." I thought it was just me!

My little victory: I've been struggling with IT-band problems when I run, but this weekend I did my first sprint triathlon of the season and not only did I knock almost a minute off last year's run time, I didn't have ANY pain! Woo!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards